Need uses for Pancake Mix (Powder form) | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need uses for Pancake Mix (Powder form)

Last post Nov 07, 2005 11:26 PM by TexasroseII . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Need uses for Pancake Mix (Powder form)
    I have at least three boxes of pancake mix, is there any recipes out there that would call for this so I can use them up???
    Much appreciated.....
    Thanks - DeeDeeBird
    False
  • RE: Need uses for Pancake Mix (Powder form)
    I saw where Rachael Ray did a 30 minute dinner using dry pancake for fritters. Can't remember what she put in them, but they looked great!!
    False
    Sorry I don't have the recipe, but the men's group at church use pancake
    mix to dredge the meat for a delicious swiss steak!
    False
    I love to make Banana or Pineapple fritters for breakfast. Make a pancake batter as usual, slice a banana in half lengthwise then in 2" lengths. Heat oil in skillet & dip each piece of banana in batter & quickly put in hot oil. Fry until golden, remove & drain on paper towels. Serve while hot topped with some powdered sugar. Yummy!
    Can do the pineapple slice the same way but cut rings in half first.
    Tam
    False
    go to www.auntjemima.com
    there are a number of muffin recipes that use pancake mix.
    chefly
    False
    Wow, thanks so much for your help. I have never made fritters before but they sound great!! Will definitely try them and thanks also for the website.. Wonderful! Had never thought of using it for muffins or swiss steak either but that sounds good too. Very Interesting!!
    Much appreciated!
    Have a great day to all!
    DeeDeeBird
    False
    just use it exactly like Bisquick or Jiffy baking mix.
    False
    Thanks Grillgirl, hadn't thought about using it like Bisquick!!
    Have a good day! DeeDeeBird
    False
    We have used it to make a beer batter for coating chicken, fish, vegetables, etc.

2 or 3 hours before you plan to use:
    mix together equal parts of each the pancake mix and the beer (say 1 cup)
    depending on how much batter you think you'll use.
    Mix together well. Cover the bowl with a towel, magazine - whatever is handy. Leave out on counter. Right before using stir in a teaspoon of salt. Dip the food and fry in oil.

DH will often add up to a tablespoon of "specialized" seasonings for what he's going to fry, like poultry seasonining, fish, pork rub, Creole, Cajun, etc.

We have saved surplus batter, covered and refrigerated, up to 3 days when we thought we'd use it on another batch of whatever.

Linda
    False
    Wow, thanks Ringmaster.... That sounds really good, have to try that as my husband LOVES that kind of food, especially fish and chicken!
    Have a great week! DeeDeeBird
    False
    So much for the Recipe Finder...

I've been making this recipe for years; it is tried (over and over and over again) & true! Personally, I make homemade buttermilk pancakes every weekend, but I DO keep a box of pancake mix on hand just for this recipe. It comes from the June/July '94 TOH, submitted by Vicki Raatz. It did NOT come up with the recipe search feature, so I ran home to get it for you... Try it, you will like it!!!

Cheddary Chicken Potpie

1 can (10-3/4 oz) cream of chicken soup, undiluted
    1 c. milk, divided
    1/2 c. chopped onion
    1 pkg. (3 oz.) cream cheese, softened
    1/4 c. chopped celery
    1/4 c. shredded carrots
    1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
    1/2 tsp. salt
    3 c. cubed, cooked chicken
    1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped broccoli, cooked & drained
    1 egg
    1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
    1 c. buttermilk complete pancake mix
    1 c. (4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
    1/4 c. sliced almonds, optional

In a large saucepan, combine soup, 1/2 c. milk, onion, cream cheese, celery, carrots, Parmesan cheese, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat until mixture is hot and cream cheese is melted. Stir in chicken and broccoli. Pour into an ungreased 2 qt. casserole dish.

In a medium bowl, combine egg, oil, and remaining 1/2 c. milk; mix well. Add pancake mix and cheese; stir to combine. Spoon over chicken mixture and spread smooth. Sprinkle with almonds, if desired (I never use the almonds and it is still delicious!).

Bake, uncovered, at 375* for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
    False
    I've got a pan of this in the oven right now. Looks pretty good and uses a whole cup of the mix. I'll let you know how it turns out. :)

Corn-Cheese Casserole (Pan de Elote)

1 lb. can cream style corn
    1 c. biscuit mix
    1 egg, beaten
    2 T. melted butter
    1 T. sugar
    1/2 c. milk
    1 (4 oz) can green chilies, chopped
    1/2 lb. Monterey Jack cheese, sliced thin

Combine first 6 ingredients. Pour half of the batter into a greased 8X8" glass baking dish. Cover with chilies and then chesse. Cover with remaining batter. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes

Serves 6
    The Dallas Jr. League Cookbook
    False
    Thanks so much Texasrosell and Contrarius, boy I didn't know there was so much use for pancake mix! I am very glad I asked and everyone's recipes sound delicious!! Gotta try them all!! Thanks again, DeeDeeBird
    False
    DeeDee, the casserole turned out well. Very nice and fluffy. I liked tht texture and the sweet taste of this dish. I hope you'll try it too.
    False