What does Endive taste like? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What does Endive taste like?

Last post Nov 12, 2005 7:38 PM by HiOnLife . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • What does Endive taste like?
    I'm reading my new cookbook on braising and the picture of Braised Endive with Prosciutto looks SOOO good! In the notes before the recipe the author mentions "some like to add a pinch of sugar to help offset the bitterness". That scares me a bit. Anyone please? TIA
    Cathy
    False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields
  • RE: What does Endive taste like?
    Hi Cathy, Endive is very bitter and as children we had to eat it in Holland it was so bitter even when you mixed it up with potato's.. untill we were exposed to Romain Lettuce and we cooked it the same as the Endive... NO more bitter.

for 4 people buy

2 large Romain Lettuce
    cut the ends off and wash real well then cut it up and cook with water about 25 minutes
    Drain, but leave some water on the bottom.
    Thicken this with cornstarch about one TBLS in some water.
    Put some nutmeg in pepper and some salt, make sure it is not dry and a little juicy since it is thickened with the corn starch
    You can fry some pieces of bacon in this, we serve it with boiled potato's, meatball's and gravy!!

you can mix it with your potato's too.

This is My DD's favorite and when I am typing this she asked for it "Please Mom can you make it"
    when you eat this dish you want more!! Yum

Try it and enjoy Susan

False
    I like the curly endive. Yes, it is somewhat bitter,I made a sweet/sour/bacon dressing then added hard boiled egg slices to it! MMMMM so good. The trick to eating it is not to chew it too long. The more you do the bitter-er it gets.
    Sandi
    False
    I add curly endive to all my salads, yummy with a vinaigrette dressing. Sandi's right though, don't chew it very long!

Charli
    False
    A little bitter. I LOVE it in my salads.
    False
    Hmmmmm, after reading your replies, I don't think I want to spend the time or money on this recipe. Sure sounded good though. Thanks. I have NEVER heard of cooking Romaine lettuce. Learn something new everyday. :)
    False
    Cathy "What Contemptible Scoundrel Stole The Cork From My Lunch" --- W.C. Fields