Hen turkey or tom turkey - Is there really a difference? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Hen turkey or tom turkey - Is there really a difference?

Last post Nov 27, 2005 3:25 PM by Cali . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Hen turkey or tom turkey - Is there really a difference?
    I bought a frozen turkey on Saturday, my store's own brand, and it is a tom turkey. I noticed that the Honeysuckle White turkeys were hen turkeys. Is there really a difference? Does the "Honeysuckle White" have significantly more white meat?

Years ago, my mother would buy only fresh turkeys from the local turkey farm. DH and I did that 5 or so years ago. We noticed that because it was so moist, it made the stuffing inside the bird mushy. So, we switched back to frozen turkey. What do you all think?
    False
  • RE: Hen turkey or tom turkey - Is there really a difference?
    I think the difference is in the size of the turkey. The hen is smaller than the toms.
    False
    The stuffing got mushy because it absorbed the juices from the turkey as it cooked. Most recommendations these days suggest not stuffing the turkey, as the stuffing needs to cook to 165 degrees, and that usually overcooks the meat and dries it out.

I like stuffing my turkey with apples, onions and lemons. Some people use sauerkraut. I like the sweetness that apples and lemons give!
    False
    My DH said that the hen is more tender and moist because toms strut around and flex their muscles, thus making them tough. Makes sense to me.
    False
    My grandparents used to rear turkeys and as far as I know the only difference would be in the size. The hens will be smaller.
    False
    Someone told me that one has more white meat than the other. Can't remember for sure which one it is. Sherry 8 zone 4
    False

Tom turkeys are male and hen turkeys are female so the hens have more white meat.
    False
    Tom turkeys are male and hen turkeys are female so the hens have more white meat.
    False
    Certain turkey farms give hormones to the hens to grow bigger breasts, hence more white meat. Cali
    False