MY EGG WHITE'S DON'T PEAK | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

MY EGG WHITE'S DON'T PEAK

Last post Dec 07, 2012 3:49 AM by Smacznego . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • MY EGG WHITE'S DON'T PEAK
    I beat my egg whites add sugar but they never seem to peak up just sort of lay there. What am I doing wrong.
    False
  • RE: MY EGG WHITE'S DON'T PEAK
    I'm assuming you are making a meringue for a pie. If so, here is a fool proof recipe.

In a small saucepan put 2 T. sugar, 1 T. cornstarch and gradually add 1/2 cup tap water; stirring well until mixed. Cook over medium heat until thickened. Cool.

Beat 3 egg whites until foamy. Add cooked mixture and continue beating, adding 4 T sugar and 1/4 t. cream of tartar. Add a dash of salt while continuing to beat. Beat until stiff but not dry. Pour filling into pie shell and top with this meringue. You do not have to spread it to the crust as everyone says. It will not weep. I use my Kitchen Aid but it will also work with a regular mixer. Let me know how it works. Good luck.
    False
    P. S. It's always best to have your egg whites at room temperature before beating. Also, be sure you do not get any of the yolk in them because they will not beat.
    False
    Also be sure that your bowl and mixer are EXTRA clean, any trace of an oily substance will cause them not to beat properly also.

Tink!
    False
    Always treat people they way you want to be treated. ~Tink~
    As Tink said, the bowl has to be completely free of grease. It's best to use a glass or metal bowl, rather than plastic. Also, with a hand mixer it takes quite a while to beat into peaks. Are you using a hand mixer or a powerful stand mixer?

I will vouch for calfroper's meringue recipe. I have used that for years since I was making pies for a local tea room. That meringue will hold up very well and won't weep.
    False
    Also, make sure there is absolutely no yolk in the egg whites. That will also keep them from beating properly.
    False
    Like the others have said spotless metal bowl seems to work best. But, if you'd like to try something different this one is a no fail you could try :0)

Subject: Attn: Mrslovetocook - rec. review of Never Fail Meringue
    Posted by: movnspeechGA Replies: 2 Posted on: 11/25/2004 8:17:28 PM
    #T443141
    Worked Great!!! No weeping, or sugar/syrupy spots.
    Susan
    Posted by: mrslovetocook Posted on: 7/6/2004 2:18:04 PM
    #R3960001
    Was this it? I posted it with my coconut cream pie recipe a while back!! And it is the best meringue!!

Never Fail Meringue:
    1 tbs. cornstarch
    6 tbs. sugar
    1/2 c. water
    3 egg whites
    pinch of salt
    Mix cornstarch, sugar and water in small saucepan over medium-high heat stirring const. till thickens and turns clear. Take off burner and set aside. Beat egg whites until foamy continue to beat while slowly pouring hot mixture into egg whites, beat for 5-7 min. Bake at 400* for 10 min. till brown.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

False
    I put my KA bowl in the freezer before beating egg whites and never have a problem.
    False
    I thought it was cold for cream and room temp for egg whites. In the freezer? That;s something I've never heard of. Hmmm.
    False
    Clean and cold bowls and utensils, along with a pinch of Cream of Tartar and you get great stiff egg whites!
    False
    This is the only meringue that I can make with success.

In a big mixing bowl, beat 3 egg whites to soft peaks. Add 1 c of marshmallow creme and beat till stiffer peaks form. Spread over pie filling and seal to edges. Bake 350 about 12 min. or until brown.

The first time I did this, I only had a 7 oz. jar of marshmallow cream and it worked fine.
    False
    I always use a cold bowl and beaters. Never have any problems.
    False
    wildjoyce: Before putting the whites in the bowl wipe the bowl out with a cloth dampened with vinegar to be sure it is absolutely clean of anyting you used it from before. Always beat the whites at room temp. and make sure you DO NOT addd the sugar too soon. See the whites just starting to peak THEN and only THEN add the sugar. Some use creme of tartar in the whites but I never ever have done that step. Use the vinegar wipe out. Just damp not soaking wet. It should work everytime. Holee Good Luck
    False
  • Re: MY EGG WHITE'S DON'T PEAK

I tried the 'NO FAIL" meringue recipe and it failed miserably... the mix thickened on the stove , i beat the egg whites until they were stiff and even GRADUALLY added the stove top mixture.. as i did the egg white began to become runny.... i dont understand what i am doing wrong i did it 3 times each time slowly adding the stove top mix.... please help!!!!!

False
  • Re: MY EGG WHITE'S DON'T PEAK

I did a short post on making Meringue on my blog about a month ago.  I plan on doing a video on it when I get back home in two weeks.  One of my fellow readers was also having the problem, so read the comments and see if that helps you.  The link is below.  If not, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

You can also do an Italian meringue instead of a basic, which is easier to stabilize as long as you are comfortable boiling sugar syrup.  

As for a basic meringue: It may be that you are adding your sugar too late in the process.  Add your sugar at soft peak stage.  Be sure to do it slowly, otherwise it won't dissolve to stabilize, you will over beat your eggs and they will collapse.

http://www.smacznegoablog.com/basic-meringue-soft-peaks-vs-stiff-peaks/ 

False