Side vegetable dishes to go with ham? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Side vegetable dishes to go with ham?

Last post Mar 29, 2013 8:20 PM by xxDebB . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • Side vegetable dishes to go with ham?
    I'm in charge of the ham and a couple of vegetables for Christmas. What are your favorites? No sweet potatoes.
    False
  • RE: Side vegetable dishes to go with ham?

If you are not having mashed potatoes, these are scrumptious.

----------

RE: OT: Can you guess what I have in the oven (this morning)?
    Posted by: dutchmom4 Posted on: 2/4/2005 1:20:53 PM
    #R5158331

Here is the recipe:
    Several years ago, I was given this easy hint for scalloped potatoes. They are so creamy and everyone wants to sample the crispy, brown top. This recipe is adaptable for whatever size casserole dish. (This may have been posted here before.)

EASY SCALLOPED POTATOES
    Potatoes
    Salt and Pepper
    Dry minced onion OR fresh minced onion
    Heavy cream OR Half-and-half*

Layer potatoes on the bottom of casserole dish. Salt and pepper. Sprinkle with onion.
    Repeat layers. Until dish is approximately 2/3 to 3/4 full.
    Pour cream around sides of potatoes~~~about ½ to 1-inch to the top of potatoes.
    Dot with butter OR margarine, if desired. Salt and pepper.
    Bake covered at 325 to 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes, OR until bubbly around the sides.
    Remove cover. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.

False

RE: need side dish that goes with Ham
    Posted by: WhateverNY Posted on: 9/4/2002 2:14:23 PM
    #R587121

SCALLOPED APPLES

I can't give you exact amounts for the ingredients for the scalloped apples. I just guess. I like to use a nice cooking apple (Granny Smith's are good), but I have even used Macintoch if they are nice & firm.

In a buttered casserole, place a layer of sliced apples, dot w/ butter or margarine & sprinkle w/ brown sugar & cinnamon. Keep layering, dotting & sprinkling :0) until you reach the top of the casserole. Bake covered at 350 degrees about 45 mins. Uncover & continue to cook until apples are soft (not too soft though).

This is my grandmother's "recipe". We always have it for the holidays. My daughter is usually the one who brings them to our holiday family dinners now.

If you have any questions, just let me know.

False

RE: Need help with Easter Dinner
    Posted by: kark Posted on: 3/19/2002 1:12:58 PM
    #R243458

We used to always make the green bean casserole (mushroom soup & fried onions) 'til we tried these & decided we liked them better.

BRAISED GARLIC & STRING BEANS
    1 lb. string beans, trimmed (I've also used 16 oz. frozen)
    3 TBL. butter or marg.
    4-5 whole cloves garlic
    salt & pepper to taste

Cook beans in boiling salted water 'til just tender-crisp. Rinse under cold water & drain. Melt butter in large skillet over LOW heat. Add the whole cloves garlic; cook, covered, very slowly 'til lightly golden & soft, 20-25 min. Don't let butter burn. Remove cover & mash garlic with fork 'til well mixed with the butter. Add the beans to skillet & toss over med. heat til warmed through. Add salt & pepper.

Here's another yummy one:

CORN WITH BASIL
    2 (10 oz.) pkgs. frozen corn, thawed in 'fridge overnight
    1 small chopped onion
    1 stalk thinly sliced celery
    1 clove minced garlic
    2 TBL. butter
    1/4 tsp. basil
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 oz. drained pimientos

In large skillet, on med. heat, melt butter; add corn, onion, celery & garlic cooking & stirring 'til onion is tender about 10 min. Stir in rest of ingred's.; reduce heat. Cover & cook 'til corn is tender, 3-5 min.

I do all I can the day ahead like chopping ingredients, etc. Or even make day before so you can just re-heat on the holiday.

False

RE: Please help me!! - Need your best Christmas Dinner Sidedishes!
    Posted by: Cittie Posted on: 12/20/2004 8:03:04 AM
    #R4897632
    We don't have ham without this;

PINEAPPLE STUFFING

1-bag of soft bread cubes (I do it in the bread maker)
    4-eggs
    1-cup sugar
    1-stick butter (room temp)

beat these 3 three ingredients together

1-20oz can crushed pinapple

mix this in to above and bake @ 350º 45 min or till browned.

False

Posted by: Cubbybear Posted on: 8/26/2004 10:19:39 AM
    #R4292437

MACARONI PUDDING
    2 1/2 c. uncooked elbow macaroni
    1/4 c. plus 2 T. butter or margarine
    1/4 c. flour
    2 1/4 c. milk
    1/2 t. salt
    dash black pepper
    3 c. shredded Cheddar cheese
    Prepare pasta according to package directions. Melt 1/4 c. butter over low heat; add
    flour. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly, until smooth. Gradually add milk; cook over
    medium heat until thick and bubbly. Season to taste. Place 1/2 of drained macaroni
    in a greased 3 qt. casserole. Top with 1 c. cheese. Repeat. Pour white sauce over
    all. Top with remaining 1 c. cheese. Dot with remaining butter. Bake uncovered
    35-40 minutes @ 400º.
    -----------------------------

CORN, LIMA & TOMATO CASSEROLE

1 medium onion-chopped
    1 medium bell pepper-chopped
    1 - 16 oz can whole kernal white corn-drained
    1 - 17 oz can lima beans-drained
    1 - 8 oz can tomato sauce
    1 - 14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes
    1 Tbsp. worchestershire sauce
    salt & pepper to taste
    4 slices bacon

Saute onion and bell pepper. Combine with all other ingredients and put into casserole dish. Top with strips of bacon. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour. Remove cover and allow bacon to crisp for about 10 minutes.
    --------------

YELLOW SQUASH DRESSING

3 cups cooked squash-seasoned with salt & pepper
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
    1 stick oleo
    2 cups milk
    1 - 9" pan cooked cornbread-crumbled
    1 can cream of chicken soup

Saute onions, pepper, and celery in oleo. Stir in the crumbled corn bread, then add the milk, chicken soup and cooked squash. Mix well. Pour into casserole and bake at 450 degrees until brown, about 1 hour.

False

I've always been partil to the tastes of broccoli and/or cauliflower with ham. For some reason they just seem made to go with each other to me.

John

Broccoli and Cauliflower Casserole

2 cups water
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 to 2 pounds of broccoli and cauliflower pieces
    milk
    4 to 5 tablespoons butter
    4 tablespoons flour
    salt and pepper to taste
    dash nutmeg, optional
    2 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs
    1 to 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
    1/8 teaspoon paprika

In a large saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Add broccoli and cauliflower; cook just until crisp-tender. Drain cauliflower, reserving liquid. Add milk to the vegetable liquid to measure 2 1/2 cups.
    Turn vegetables into a shallow 2-quart baking dish

Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in the saucepan over medium heat. Blend in the flour, stirring until smooth and bubbly. Gradually stir in milk mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth. Season with the salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Pour sauce over broccoli and cauliflower. Dot with remaining 1 to 2 tablespoons of butter. Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and paprika; sprinkle over vegetables. Bake at 450° for about 20 minutes, until casserole is bubbly.
    Serves 4.
    False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”
    I love scalloped potatoes with ham and green beans. I love cole slaw so frequently include that when I have ham. Love those little dollar rolls to make little sandwiches with too.

pegg
    False

pegg

Ingredients:
    6 medium beets, cooked, peeled and sliced
    or
    1 can beets, drained

Sauce:
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup vinegar
    2 tablespoons butter

Directions:

Cook beets in water to cover until tender. Cool under running water until touchable. Peel and slice.

Mix together sugar, cornstarch, salt, vinegar and butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes. Add beets and simmer for 15 minutes.

False
    Cauliflower Casserole

1 head cauliflower
    1 large green bell pepper, chopped
    1 large onion, chopped
    Sauce:
    3 tablespoons butter
    3 tablespoons flour
    1 1/2 cups milk
    1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
    1/2 cup buttered bread crumbs or French fried onion crumbs

Trim cauliflower and separate into flowerets. In a saucepan combine cauliflower with peppers and onion; cover with water and salt. Bring to a boil; cover and cook for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until tender

In another saucepan; melt butter over medium-low heat.
    Stir in flour and stir until smooth and bubbly. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Continue cooking and stirring until thickened. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese. Pour sauce over cauliflower and transfer to a lightly buttered 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Top with buttered bread crumbs or French fried onions. Bake at 350° for about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese the last 5 minutes of baking time.
    Serves 4.
    False

John

John

“Then He'll call me some day to my home far away, where His Glory forever I'll share.”
    Brussels Sprouts, another member of the cabbage family are also excellent with ham and the red and green color of this dish makes it a good one for Christmas dinner.
    About a week before Thanksgiving I decided to make this for dinner and the idea to add potatoes to it sounded good so in addition to the ingredients listed below, I added 2 quarts baby redskin potatoes, most of which I cut in half after scrubbing them. I added the potatoes to the pan when I added the brussels sprouts. A lot of the ingredients I increased because I added the potatoes too.
    Cooking time was of course longer.

John

Bacon Brussels Sprouts

6 slices bacon, chopped (I used 1 lb.)
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    3 green onions, chopped (I used 6)
    3 cloves garlic, minced (I used 5)
    8 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed, small sprouts left whole, larger sprouts halved (I used around 10 cups)
    2 quarts baby redskin potatoes, scrubbed and halved
    Salt and pepper, to your taste
    2 cups chicken broth ( I used 2 14oz. cans)

Brown bacon in a large skillet over medium high heat. Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Add extra-virgin olive oil to the pan. Add green onion and garlic to the pan and saute 1 minute. Add Brussels sprouts and coat in oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook Brussels sprouts 2 to 3 minutes to begin to soften, then add broth. Bring broth to a bubble, cover and reduce heat to medium low. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Transfer sprouts to a serving dish with a slotted spoon and top with cooked bacon bits.
    False

John

John

Broccoli Cheese Casserole

2 packages (approximately 10 ounces each) frozen broccoli spears
    1/3 cup slivered almonds (about 2 ounces)
    1 roll garlic cheese
    1 can (10 1/2 oz) cream of mushroom soup
    1 can (10 1/2 oz) cream of chicken soup
    soft bread crumbs tossed with a few teaspoons of melted butter, for topping

Cook broccoli in salted water until barely tender. Drain and place broccoli in baking dish. Sprinkle with slivered almonds. Slice garlic cheese and combine in saucepan with soups.
    Heat through until cheese is melted; pour over broccoli.
    Bake broccoli and cheese casserole at 375° until bubbly.
    Top broccoli cheese casserole with buttered bread crumbs and return to oven until crumbs are browned.
    Broccoli cheese casserole recipe serves 6.
    False

John

John

Bacon And Cheese Cauliflower

Ingredients:
    1 bag frozen cauliflower
    1/4 cup finely chopped onion
    8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
    4 ounces heavy cream
    salt and pepper
    1/4 cup butter
    crumbled cooked bacon

Directions:
    Run cool water over frozen cauliflower in collander to separate pieces. Spray large casserole dish with pam and layer 1/2 cauliflower on bottom. Season with salt and pepper, then layer with 1/2 onions and thinly sliced pats of butter. Add 1/2 cheese. Repeat layers. Pour cream over and bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
    Serves 4.
    False

John

John

Cheesy Cauliflower and Broccoli Crockpot Recipe

1 package (10 Oz) Frozen Cauliflower, thawed
    1 package (10 oz) frozen broccoli, thawed
    1 can cheddar cheese soup
    4 slices bacon
    Salt And Pepper, to taste
    1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, if desired

Fry bacon until crisp; drain well on paper towels then crumble. Place broccoli and cauliflower in crockery pot. Top with soup, sprinkle with bacon. Season with salt and pepper.
    Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours. About 20 minutes before done, top with cheddar cheese if used.
    Serves 6.
    False

John

John

Baked beans are good with ham also ~

* Exported from MasterCook *

Barbecued Baked Beans

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 16 Oz Cans Pork and Beans -- drained
    3/4 Cup Kc Masterpiece Bbq Sauce
    2 Tablespoons Golden Raisins
    1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
    1 Medium Onion -- chopped
    1 Tart Apple -- chopped
    3 Strips Bacon, Cut in Pieces

Mix all except bacon in 1 1/2 qt. casserole, top with bacon. Bake at 350º for 1 hour or more.

pegg
    False

pegg