Waffle or French Cookies | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Waffle or French Cookies

Last post Dec 06, 2013 2:26 PM by skm1022 . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • Waffle or French Cookies
    My parents friends have passed away but I remember them making a cookie that resembled a Waffle. Mom told me that you cannot make these in a waffle iron and that you have to use a special cookie iron for the batter and cook on an open flame of a gas stove. Does anyone have a recipe for these and/or know where I can get the irons.
    False
  • RE: Waffle or French Cookies
    Your mom is wrong about the tool used to cook them. They sell electic ones now and the machine is called a Pizzelle Iron. If you check out Amazon and other web sites you can find them. They still can be bought for heating on an element though.

Pizzelles (waffle cookies)

4 1/2 sticks butter softened
    4 1/2 sticks margarine softened
    3 cups white sugar
    3 cups brown sugar
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    14 eggs separated
    8 cups flour
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, butter and margaine. Beat egg yolks, add vanilla and add to above mixure. Beat egg whites and fold into above mixure. Bake in pizzelle or waffle iron at med temp. Makes 8 dozen

That is a basic recipe but there are varieties with chocolate and such. Marlene

False
    This is the recipe my Aunt gave me that her Italian mother-in-law used. Now, they used the iron on the stove, but no one does that anymore. I have an electric pizzelle maker and just made these cookies two days ago. When I posted the recipe, I mentioned that I add all the eggs at one time and I think they taste just the same.
    You can also add different flavoring instead of vanilla like almond,
    lemon, orange extract or anise oil. I just always stick to my Aunt's recipe.
    Some people use cake flour for a lighter cookie, I have always used regular flour.
    I got my iron at a hardware store near me that is ran by an Italian family. The owner carries five different kinds of thickness. I bought the thin and med. The thin breaks too easy so I never really use it anymore.
    I have a Palmer Electric Iron that is guaranteed 10 years. I notice the Company carries 8 different models. The exact name is C. Palmer Manufacturing,Inc
    5 Plumber Road
    West Newton,Pa 15089

They may have a web site. I have used several makers and they have always made the cookies stick. I finally bought my current irons and I love them!!

This is probably more info then you wanted, but I love my cookies and the iron!!!

Dianne
    False
    I should have said the recipe Queenie posted is the same recipe I posted.
    False
  • Re: RE: Waffle or French Cookies

Are the cookies thin when using a Pizzelle iron?  The cookies that we had were not in a uniform shape and were almost as thick as a waffle.

False

Yes, the cookie is thin.  You can buy a pizzelle iron to make three different sizes around cookies.  One is for a larger cookie, one is for two smaller and one for three smaller.  When cooked they look like a waffle but the indents are not nearly as deep.  There is usually a fairly intricate pattern.  I originally bought mine to make homemade ice cream cones.  With some pizzelle makers you get a form to make a cone with it.  You shape the hot and still soft pizzelle around the dowel/cone shape and let it cool.  Or you can sprinkle as is with icing/powdered sugar or make a tube and fill with cannneloni filling.  They are so versitile.  

Marlene 

False
  • Re: Waffle or French Cookies

I hope this reaches you.  YES your Mother was right!  The waffle cookie iron your looking for is not a pizzelle or a french gaufrette maker.  Its in the gaufrette line, french cookie iron. But I have yet to find another one.  They are not thin cookies, but not as thick as a waffle just like a mini waffle.  Ours came from Arma, Kansas. Try contacting the historical society they might know a local that still makes them.  They have a round collar to fit over the burner, that holds a rectangle shaped waffle iron (aprox 4"X8" going by memory as sister has iron at this time).  The iron has one or two extra squares or teeth in the pattern making it smaller than a regular waffle that has about five squares or teeth. I hope this helps. : )

False
    French Waffle Cookies (Gaufrettes) Recipe:-

Ingredients:-

3 large eggs
    1 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to lukewarm
    4 cups all-purpose flour

Directions:-

1. Beat the eggs with the sugar and vanilla until the mixture turns fluffy and very pale, and forms a ribbon that holds its shape.

2. Add the melted butter and mix well.

3. Sift in the flour, a little at a time, and mix well to form a smooth dough.

4. Cover the dough with a clean kitchen towel and let rest for 2 hours at room temperature.

5. With your hands, roll the dough into about 45 balls, 1-1/2 inches in diameter.

6. Bake in a hot waffle iron with the smallest grids until the cookies are golden brown and crisp. Let the cookies cool on a rack and store in airtight containers.

False

Nederlandse Stroopwafels
    From the kitchen of Mrs. Watson, in Bowie, MD

Makes about 32 pieces
    (Before you even start, sharpen a thin knife well. I use a filleting knife.)

Wafel Dough:
    1 teaspoon instant yeast
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 pound unsalted butter
    1/3 cup sugar
    Pinch of salt
    1 rounded tablespoon ground cinnamon (...don't even be tempted to use less)
    3 cups flour (...more or less, depending on other moisture in the mix)
    1-2 eggs (...how small are they? ...how much richer do you want the wafels to taste?)

Proof yeast in 3 tablespoons water with 1 teaspoon sugar until bubbly. Beat butter until light, adding sugar, salt and cinnamon. Mix in the yeast mixture, flour and egg(s) and knead or beat well. Set in a warm place for about an hour. It will not look like it's rising much; don't worry. Meanwhile, make the syrup (stroop).

Stroop (Syrup):
    1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    1 cup Karo light syrup
    7/8 cup light brown sugar
    1/4 cup butter

Heat cinnamon, syrup and sugar on stove and cook slowly until thickened a bit (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat and beat in butter. Should thicken as it cools, but still be slightly warm and thin enough to spread easily. If it cools too much, reheat gently; if it thickens too much, add a bit of liquid.

To bake and prepare, use:

Palmer Belgian Cookie Iron, Model 1110
    Very sharp, thin fillet knife
    1-1/2" diameter ice cream scoop
    3" round metal cookie cutter

Heat wafel iron and oil lightly only once. Using scoop to measure, place dough in center of heated wafel iron and bake for one minute (no longer, or you'll risk burning them).

When done, remove from iron, place flat on counter and immediately slice wafel horizontally into two thin wafers, using the sharp fillet knife. (This is where you need a set of asbestos fingers.) Spread syrup on one cut surface, reassemble pressing gently but firmly, and trim to a uniform shape with the 3" cookie cutter. (This introduces one of the all time best traditions of making stroopwafels: eating the trimmings.) Cool, at least slightly, flat on a rack before eating.

Don't see why you couldn't eliminate all that cinnamon and play with other flavorings, but, as presented above, this really is the quintessential stroopwafel as I remember them.

False

what u r descibing is what im trying to find an iron for

my grandmother from jumet belgium made them  on an iron similar to the one u descibed 

she called them goflettes thanks for the lead ill check it out

Lou

False

Yes, there is a Belgian Waffle cookie which my Mother made for years.  C Palmer Mfg of West Newton, PA not only makes pizzelle irons but 3 varieties of Belgian Waffle Cookie iron.  The recipe makes a large amount - we cut the recipe way down.  It is a stiff dough which we roll into a ball and place on the iron.  Nice Vanilla flavor.  My sister inherited the old one which you hold over a stove burner.  Hope this helps

False

Sorry I am just now getting this out to you.  I just found your post though as I was looking for the French Cookie Recipe.  I have 3 of those stove top irons you are referring too.  My family is from Belgium and my "Nonnie" (grandmother) and my MuM made these cookies all the time.  "Nonnie" got us the irons also in Arma Kansas.  "Nonnie" passed away in 1988 and just recently my MuM.  I have their cookie irons.  I want to keep the tradition alive with my girls.  It's a lost art for sure.

Check this out......I think you will enjoy this.

http://www.armakansas.org/businesses/belgimfgco.html

DawnRae

False

I have a recipe that may or may not be related to what you're asking about.  My dad's family is from France, and every New Years, we carry on the tradition of making "New Years Waffles" which are non-uniform in shape, as thick as waffles, but definitely cookies.  Because they were meant to be shared with large French families, the recipe as it has been passed down makes a ton of cookies, but we simply half it.

1lb soft butter

2 lb brown sugar

8 eggs

2 cups sugar

5 lb flour

1 cup milk

Vanilla (no amt was specified, but we use 1-2TBSP)

2 cups of rum (or 3 bottles of extract)

Cream butter & brown sugar.  Mix together regular sugar, vanilla & eggs. Add to brown sugar/butter mixture.  Slowly add the flour, milk & rum, alternating.

Roll into balls and press for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown.

It is considered good luck if your spoon breaks while mixing them (which is very difficult as you get toward the end!). I assume the reason they were made over a gas stove in a press is because over the years our waffle irons have caught fire because of the alcohol, but it doesn’t seem to happen if you use extract.  As I said, this may not be anything like what you're looking for, but I thought I'd share it with you.

False
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/SiteSearch/CommunitySearchResults.aspx?cssearch=pizzelles&page=1&rs=10&sort=1&omni=initial
    False

I understand the pressing down part but what are you pressing them on/in? Do you actually use a waffle iron?

BJ

False

Find more about Weather in New Bedford, MA