What do you do when the chocolate chips won't melt | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What do you do when the chocolate chips won't melt

Last post Oct 04, 2012 4:41 PM by 320molly . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • What do you do when the chocolate chips won't melt
    Seems like they just end up a big, dry clump. Could I add some shortening to loosen it up a bit? I am using a double boiler.

Gail
    False
  • RE: What do you do when the chocolate chips won't melt
    You can try, it sure can't hurt, about 1 TBS per bag of chips.
    What is probably happening is you are getting a little water (possibly from steam) into the chocolate and causing it to seize.

Debbie
    False
    maybe the water is to HOT, making the pan to HOT...and yes you can add shortening...like kansasdeb stated...
    False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

also, make sure they're REAL chocolate chips, not the "chocolate-flavor" ones. . .
    False
    You can try the shortening--there's nothing to lose here.

But in my experience, once chocolate has siezed, it's better to just toss it and start over.

As stated above, you cannot get ANY moisture near the chocolate. Steam from a double boiler. Or washing your pan right before using it--even if you dry it, there's still going to be enough moisture on the surface that it can cause a problem. Or washing your hands then touching the chocolate as you transfer it to the pan. A wet spoon or spatula. Even one drop of water can ruin chocolate.

False
    I was told that only Crisco would help in this case.
    False
    Once chocolate has seized, it takes a lot of patience to retrieve it. To loosen it, heat it over LOW heat in a double boiler and add some vegetable oil to it and stir it once it has heated and softened to incorporate the oil. You may need to stir A LOT but hopefully it will re-mix. If not, toss it, it really isn't worth a lot of hassle to recover. Chocolate for coating shouldn't be the costly stuff, buy inexpensive chocolate and if it gets wrecked you won't want to cry about it too much!

Melting chocolate works best in a double boiler over very low heat. I will heat the water first, turn down the heat so the water is just steaming and then I put the pan of chocolate over it. You don't need to stir at all until it looks to be clearly melted, like the chips are all soft and looking like they are about to fall apart. Use a small spoon and stir quickly and smoothly. Keep all moisture out of it. You can add a tsp. or two of solid shortening if you are going to dip items in the chocolate that you want to harden, like bonbons or strawberries. The more shortening, the thinner the chocolate, and you will want it thin if you want just a coating, make it thicker for dipping. Chocolate can also be melted in a plastic bag in a pan of boiling water(take the pan off the stove first and let it sit for about 5 minutes) You can then snip off a corner of the bag to use for drizzling. A fork dipped in chocolate can be used to drizzle as well, or even a spoon if you are good at streaming it off.

I used a lot of chocolate for dipping in my culinary school classes, believe me, I should be really good at it for the amount of things I had to dip and stripe for holiday parties!!!
    False
    i melted chocolate chips in a double boiler on medium heat today for some candy and i added a small amount of parrafin wax. that gives it a little oil in and also thins the chips a little. you can also put in a hershey bar with the chips to make it a little thinner. the parrafin wax always works for me and it won't get hard. be sure to chop the wax in small pieces though.
    False

thank you for the shortening idea!  Fixed my siezed chocolate up fast and I was able to use it on my Scotcharoo's!

False