What does brie taste like? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What does brie taste like?

Last post Dec 23, 2005 4:18 PM by jcz04 . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • What does brie taste like?
    Is there any other cheese that it can be compared to. I've never tried it, but the baked brie wrapped in pastry sounds so good.
    False
  • RE: What does brie taste like?
    I loved baked brie! With french bread! I've only ever had baked brie with a butter/garlic (I think) topping that you then spread across french bread. It is very good. Brie is a mild cheese that takes up other flavors easily.
    False
    "If I have ventured wrongly, very well, life then helps me with its penalty. But if I haven't ventured at all, who helps me then?"
    It is hard to compare it to any other cheese. It is delicious, very mild & creamy when heated. It is usually used as an appetizer with a variety of toppings. I love it with caramilzed sweet onions on top, wrapped in puffed pastry then baked. I have never heard anyone that doesn't like it but I know there are always exceptions!
    Tam
    False
    I love Brie, but there are all kinds. You want to get one that is nice and runny at room temp. I'm very fond of goat's milk brie, but that's not everyone's cup of tea. Some aged french bries can have an ammonia tpe of smell and flavor to them which some people like. People differ as to whether they will eat the rind or not.
    I can't think of any cheese like it other than Camenbert which you may not be familiar with. In any case, go and buy some, I'm sure it will make you happy. Merry Christmas!
    False
    I love Brie too!!! Especially when it's baked. It's creamy and runny and like an exceptional fondue.

Now everyone has their own taste when it comes to brie... I prefer mine firm and an off white color. The older it gets the softer and more yellowish it becomes. When I buy brie I always check the sell by date and feel for firmness. If it's cut in wedges I can usually tell just by the color if it's a younger brie.

Try it!! You'll never know if you don't try. If you like it you'll probably want to run off with the whole wheel yourself LOL!!
    False
    Mild and somewhat nutty. The older it gets, the sharper the taste.
    In France, Brie is made with non-pasteurized milk. It has a more complex nuttier flavor. When you buy it at a cheese shop there, they ask you when you want to serve it, and sell you a wedge from wheels in different stages of ripeness. If it's too early, there is a ridge of hard, unripe cheese in the middle, which disappears when it is perfectly ripe. Then it gets runnier and runnier, and eventually, the center just pours out of the rind, and it is quite sharp-tasting.
    Here, they are able to control the ripening because the milk is pasteurized. You can't get a Brie that isn't perfecty ripened. They are considered the King of Cheeses in France, where cheese is very important.
    Go ahead and try it. Some people just eat the center at first, spreading it on a cracker or French bread. Then they graduate to the rind as well, which is made of mold. The mold is soft and not harmful at all.
    Sorry to go on about this cheese, but I lived in France for 5 years, and love my Brie.
    False
    Kind of hard to describe the taste. To me it is yummy. I didn't always eat it as the rind turned me off. But I do it now including the rind. Maybe you can taste it at a buffet or in a cheese shop before buying it. To me it is buttery & nutty. The rind gives a stronger taste. I do believe it tastes kind of like fungus which does sound gross to me but if you like strong cheeses you might like it too.

When I first tried it, I did not eat the rind just the insides. So start with that.

Diane
    False

Diane

I have tried it 2-3 times, and so far, I don't care for it. I think this is one you either like or don't like.

KY Kate
    False
    ;))
    False

Soft, creamy and oh, so good.
    False
    It's on the creamy side and melts very well, and when it cools down it sets up semi firmly. It has a little nutty flavor to it and can be a little stringy like mozzarella when you first melt it. I have never had it served cold and it also goes well with sauted mushrooms.

It is also good when cut in 1/2 and spread with a little mustard and other goodies like carmelized onions, mushrooms. Apples and nuts are also very good with it. I like to remove the rind before using.

Give it a try it is unique in flavor and very interesting in recipes~`Janie~

Merry Christmas~
    False