ISO: A bread recipe made with spelt? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO: A bread recipe made with spelt?

Last post Jan 02, 2006 12:46 PM by Jacee . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • ISO: A bread recipe made with spelt?
    My goal is to eat more nutritious food in 2006, I've been told spelt it very good for you.
    Can you make anything else with spelt?
    Thanks!
    False
  • RE: ISO: A bread recipe made with spelt?
    I googled "recipes made with spelt" and a ton of them came up, including bread and sweets/desserts. Try that and I think you'll be pleased.
    False
    Thank you Yankeecook.
    False

RE: Do Any Of You Make Or Buy
    Posted by: M_Wolverine Posted on: 9/20/2005 11:21:55 AM
    #R6426497

Bread Machine Spelt Bread
    This bread is made with spelt flour. Spelt and lecithin can be purchased at health food stores."
    Original recipe yield: 1 -1 1/2 pound loaf.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 cup water
    1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
    1 1/2 teaspoons honey
    1/2 teaspoon lecithin
    3 cups white spelt flour
    3 tablespoons dry milk powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    2 teaspoons active dry yeast

DIRECTIONS:
    Place ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Bake on normal or basic cycle.

False

RE: Do Any Of You Make Or Buy
    Posted by: M_Wolverine Posted on: 9/20/2005 11:22:20 AM
    #R6426500

Very Simple Spelt Bread

INGREDIENTS:
    8 cups spelt flour
    1/2 cup sesame seeds
    1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
    1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    4 1/4 cups milk

DIRECTIONS:
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans.
    In a large bowl, mix together the spelt flour, sesame seeds, salt, molasses, baking soda and milk until well blended. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans.
    Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden. Placing a tin of the same size over the top of the loaf while baking gives it a lovely crust.

False

RE: Tvlcat - Spelt Bread the old fashioned way?
    Posted by: tvlcat Posted on: 4/29/2002 5:48:25 AM
    #R320060

Spelt Bread

3 1/2 cups spelt flour
    2 TBS baking soda
    1/2 tsp Vitamin C crystals
    1 tsp salt (sea salt)
    1/2 cup applesauce (organic)
    1 1/4 cups water

Mix dry ingredients together in medium mixing bowl. Mix wet ingredients together in another bowl. Combine, stir and pour into sprayed (Pam) bread pan. Bake at 350F for 40 minutes or until done. Keep in fridge. Enjoy!

This is a fat-free vegetarian version.

False

RE: Tvlcat - Spelt Bread the old fashioned way?
    Posted by: tvlcat Posted on: 4/29/2002 5:54:06 AM
    #R320062
    Exported from MasterCook

SPELT BREAD

2 cups Spelt flour
    1 pkg Quick-rising dry yeast
    2 tbsp Sugar or other sweetener
    Pinch of salt
    2/3 cup Very warm soy milk
    2 tbsp Melted margarine

In large bowl, combine flour, yeast, sugar, and salt. Stir in soy milk and 1 Tablespoon melted margarine until dough forms. Turn dough out onto floured board and knead about 3 minutes or until smooth. Grease mixing bowl and place dough in bowl, turning to coat lightly. Cover and place in warm spot away from drafts. Let rise about 30 minutes. Heat oven to 350F. Place dough on greased baking sheet, or, if desired, bake in greased 8 x 4 inch loaf pan. Brush with remaining tablespoon of melted margarine and bake about 25 minutes or until golden and loaf sounds hollow when tapped on top.

This is the more traditional loaf with a couple healthy adjustments.

False

RE: spelt bread
    Posted by: tvlcat Posted on: 4/28/2002 2:54:45 PM
    #R318817

Spelt Bread
    Makes a 1 1/2 pound loaf Italian

1 1/4 cups water
    1 1/2 tsp sugar or equivelent in sweetener
    1/2 tsp salt
    3 cups spelt flour
    2 tsp yeast

Add one or two Tbsp of water if dough looks dry or if your machine sounds like it's struggling. Basic cycle. Makes a 1 1/2 pound loaf

I honestly prefer to make spelt bread the old fashioned way, but this is ok.

False

Subject: REC: Greek Bread
    Posted by: cllw Replies: 1 Posted on: 2/22/2005 7:02:36 PM
    #T479881

Greek Bread
    1 1/2 lb. loaf

1/3 cup water
    1 cup canned goat’s milk or
    1 cup evaporated milk

2 1/4 cup bread flour
    1/4 cup whole wheat or whole grain spelt flour
    1 1/4 T sesame seeds
    1 T gluten
    2 t sugar
    1 1/2 t salt
    2 t SAF yeast or 2 1/2 t bread machine yeast

Put in pan according to mfg. directions on Basic cycle. Do not use Delay.
    Remove from pan immediately and cool to room temp before slicing.

This bread is good. I made it with goats milk. It definitely needs to cool before eating it. It is the only bread that I have ever eaten that is not good warm.

Surprisingly, my DH said it was VERY good bread, and he is not a big bread eater!

False

RE: ISO: Bread rec without yeast
    Posted by: twinblessings__ID Posted on: 3/13/2004 9:53:00 AM
    #R3243736

I have been typing up recipes from some allergy cookbooks that I have. I have slight allergies to wheat, oats, rice and corn, almonds, walnuts and a couple of other things but no problem with yeast. Here are a couple of recipes to try, I have not tried them. You could probably use wheat or white-wheat flour for spelt or kamut.

Spelt Sandwich Bread
    Beating the batter for this bread develops the gluten in the spelt flour and gives the bread a firmer texture than spelt “No-Yeast Bread.”

3 ½ Cups spelt flour, divided
    1 tsp salt (optional)
    1 ¼ cups water
    ½ cup oil
    2 tsp baking soda
    ½ tsp unbuffered Vitamin C crystals

Combine 3 cups of the flour and the salt in an electric mixer bowl. Add the water and beat on medium speed for 3 minutes or until the dough becomes cohesive and climbs up the beaters. Beat in the oil. Mix together the remaining ½ cup flour, baking soda, and Vitamin C crystals and stir or, if necessary, briefly knead them into the dough. Then beat the dough on medium speed for 30 seconds. Put the dough into an oiled and floured 8” by 4” loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes, or until it is brown. Remove it from the pan immediately. Makes one loaf.

This recipe is free of wheat, milk, eggs, corn, soy, yeast, and refined sugar. (From Allergy Cooking with Ease by Nicolette M. Dumke)

False

Thank you Dutchmom4, which one of these is your favorite? Have you used spelt for other things?
    False

RE: Essene or Ezekiel Bread
    Posted by: FootsieBear Posted on: 8/26/2001 4:01:52 PM
    #R6262
    Ezekiel Bread
    This is the bread that Ezekiel lived off of while he was in the desert for two years. It is supposed to be
    nutritionally complete. The recipe callls for grinding your own flour fron a variety of grains and dried beans. Submitted by Karin Christian

2-1/2 cups wheat berries
    1-1/2 cups spelt flour
    1/2 cup barley
    1/2 cup millet
    1/4 cup dry green lentils
    2 tablespoons dry Great Northern beans
    2 tablespoons dry kidney beans
    2 tablespoons dried pinto beans
    4 cups warm water (110
    degrees F/45 degrees C)
    1 cup honey
    1/2 cup olive oil
    2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
    2 tablespoons salt

Measure the water, honey, olive oil, and yeast into a large bowl. Let sit for 3 to 5 minutes.

Stir all of the grains and beans together until well mixed. Grind in a flour mill. Add fresh milled flour and salt to the yeast mixture; stir until well mixed, about 10 minutes. The dough will be like that of a batter bread. Pour dough into two greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pans.

Let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, or until dough has reached the top of the pan.

Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 to 50 minutes, or until loaves are golden brown.

False

I haven't made anything with spelt for a long time. We had to eliminate all of the flours we usually used, because doctors were testing my son for allergies.

False

Thanks again, I've heard about Ezekiel bread but I've never tried it. I sure appreciate your help.
    False
    bump
    False