~Pork & Sauerkraut~....What do you serve with it? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

~Pork & Sauerkraut~....What do you serve with it?

Last post Jan 01, 2006 2:05 PM by Cooking4maxOH . 18 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 12
  • ~Pork & Sauerkraut~....What do you serve with it?
    Just wondering if you all serve anything other than mashed taters with it...

Will be having this on New Year's Day & looking for some wonderful new ideas~!
    False
  • RE: ~Pork & Sauerkraut~....What do you serve with it?
    how about some fried apples?
    False
    Well, that is old age for you. You can't hear sounds that everyone else can hear and you can hear sounds that no one else can hear. Not really a bit problem until you begin to hear voices that no one else hears.
    How about fried potatoes or mashed sweet potatoes? Applesauce?

Jill
    False
    Nope Mashed potaoes does it!
    False
    I make ours with Dumplings!
    - Cookjoy
    False
    IN GOD WE TRUST!
    Cittie, It's been ages since I have made this but my memory is adding potatoes and carrots to the pot along with the kraut and Caraway seed. But some scalloped apples would be wonderful~~Janie~
    False
    You gotta have a loaf of rye bread~~

False
    We sometines serve it with palenta. Where I come from we cooked palenta on top of the stove in a big pot making it very thick almost like bread but still moist. We would then put it in large pieces into a big bowl & on top we would pour some lard & I think you call it renderings (pork that has been fried down to make lard). This is the best especially if it was smoked pork with sauerkraut. We also serve it a lot with just boiled potatoes.

This brings back memories as we don't make lard anymore.

Anica
    False
    MY DD is a VEGAN & proud of it http://www.thisisvegan.com/ http://thisisvegan.blogspot.com
    Thanks for all the ideas folks~!!
    False
    We have pork & sauerkraut with blackeyed peas, boiled potatoes and cornbread. Fried apples or applesauce would be a really good addition. I know of some who put apples in with their pork and sauerkraut with some brown sugar.

Darlene
    False
    Cittie - when i make this dish I slice up an apple and add when cooking. I like to serve it with halushki - small dumplings like spaetzle. We also like rye bread and butter and canned pears.

Ginny
    False
    Just when the Caterpillar thought her world was over ............ She became a Butterfly I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way. - Jessica Rabbit
    To me roast pork and some sort of apples go together. I usually have applesauce or stewed apples, mashed potatoes & gravy, sauerkraut with caraway seeds, rye bread, cranberry sauce, and either a salad or asparagus. I know that the sauerkraut is a veggie, but I need something bright green to visually balance the meal.
    False
    I always put potato halves in with the pork and kraut. I like something cold and colorful so I usually serve jello with pineapple and cottage cheese added to it.
    False
    I forgot to add that I mash the potato on my plate with my fork and then top it with the kraut and bite sized pieces of pork, mix it all together and eat, yum, yum.
    False
    We ALWAYS have applesauce and hot rolls with it in addition to the m-pots. My friend's in-laws always have baked beans with pork and kraut! Sounds gross, but really quite tasty!
    False