Stand Mixer for Mashed Potatoes? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Stand Mixer for Mashed Potatoes?

Last post Dec 29, 2005 8:09 PM by ZeeRN_PA . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • Stand Mixer for Mashed Potatoes?
    I thought you couldn't use the stand mixer for mashed potatoes because it would make them too gummy.

Can you?
    False
    "If I have ventured wrongly, very well, life then helps me with its penalty. But if I haven't ventured at all, who helps me then?"
  • RE: Stand Mixer for Mashed Potatoes?
    news to me I have always used a mixer for my mashed potatoes. Why would it make it gummy?
    nana573
    False
    I have not had that problem...here is what I do....here is the recipe that I use and SIL gave to me, I don't know where she got it from, but this works!

Put the potatoes in a saucepan filled with enough lightly salted cold water to cover them well. Bring the water to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer briskly until the potatoes are fork-tender, 15 to 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine the milk or cream and butter in a small saucepan. Heat them over low heat until the butter has melted.

Drain the potatoes well and return to the pot. Cover tightly and let sit undisturbed for 5 minutes.

Transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attached. Beat at medium-low speed while you gradually add the hot cream-butter mixture, a generous amount of salt, and a pinch each of white pepper and nutmeg. Beat the mixture until it is smooth, light, and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes.
    False
    Thanks for the info! I don't know *why* it would make them gummy; I just thought I was told that somewhere along the line so I've never used my stand mixer for mashed potatoes. I'd really like to!
    False
    "If I have ventured wrongly, very well, life then helps me with its penalty. But if I haven't ventured at all, who helps me then?"
    Karolin, your recipe sounds awesome! I always did warm the milk before I added it. I like the idea of a bit of nutmeg added in! I'll have try that.
    False
    I always use my kitchenaid. I would imagine you could overbeat them if you just ignored it while you got busy with something else and then they would be too thinned out, but if you are watching them, they will be perfect. -Linda
    False

"Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book." ~Author Unknown

If you mean your Kitchen Aid, I haven't ever used that, but I always use a hand mixer for my mashed potatoes.
    False
    Since I got my KA the only way I make mashed potatoes. I heat up the milk too before adding to the potatoes. I just put about 3/4 c. of milk in a pyrex measuring cup and warm the milk in the micro. Since potatoes differ in water content I used varying amounts of milk to make them fluffy. I also add some salt and butter.
    False
    Instead of using my stand mixer, I just use my hand-held Kitchen Aid right in the pot I used when cooking the potatoes. Save some of the potato water, and add evaporated milk and butter. They come out creamy, rich, and delicious.
    False
    I use sour cream, butter, salt and pepper. We don't like them too smooth. If they don't have a little body, I get accused of using potato flakes.
    False

"Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book." ~Author Unknown

The only times my potatoes turn out "gummy" are when I use a potato other than russet, red, or Yukon. What is sometimes called "white potatoes" come out gummy or sticky.
    False
    I just read that they become gluey if you use a food processer. I like to add a little dry ranch salad mix. You can get in large container at Cosco. I too use my KA with the paddle,milk and butter. You are supposed to dry the potatoes by leaving in hot cooking pot before whipping
    False
    Here is info on this topic from a website:

When potatoes are boiled the starch granules absorb not only the internal moisture but also some of the surrounding water. Extra water contributes to making potatoes gummy when mashed. To avoid this problem, once the potatoes are boiled, drain them well, return them to the pot, cover, and place them back briefly on the warm element to evaporate some of the excess moisture.

When making mashed potatoes, be careful not to mix them too long or too vigorously. This causes the starch granules to rupture and spill their moist starchy contents, resulting in mashed potatoes that are wet and pasty.
    False
    I use my kitchenaid but not with the paddle attachment. I use the whip attachment.
    Laurie
    False
    I prefer to use a manual hand masher as we like some lumps, rather than a creamy smooth mashed potato. We add butter, half n half and cream cheese. Wish I had some right now!
    False