Superstitions and old wives tales??? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Superstitions and old wives tales???

Last post Jan 01, 2006 8:51 AM by enjoynature . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • Superstitions and old wives tales???
    Does anyone have any superstitions or old wives tales to follow for the New Year? I've heard a lot of them but can't remember any at the moment.
    Thanks, Marge
    False
  • RE: Superstitions and old wives tales???
    Marge,

Think the standard black eyed peas for New Year's dinner is the main one we follow. The other one is that our actions on NY's day sets the pace for the rest of the year.

When we lived in Indiana, we were supposed to embroider a pillowcase.

Rosie
    False
    Here is a bunch of New Year ones:
    The first man to walk through your front door in the new year should be carrying coal for the fire. That way, your hearth will never be cold that upcoming year.

Eat sauerkraut on New Years Day for good luck.

On New Years Day if a man is the first one to walk in your door, you will have good luck. If a woman enters first it is a sign of bad luck.

Open all windows and doors to let the Old Year out and the New Year in.

If the first butterfly you see in the year is white, you will have good luck all year.
    Three butterflies together mean good luck.
    False

On New Years Eve at midnight a male must come in the door first to bring good luck all year

Not to hang up next years calendar until the new year comes in

If you work on New Years day you will work all year long

If you have are laughing at midnight on the new Years eve..you will laugh all year but if you cry or are angry the same thing will happen also happen to you all the new year

False
    Clocks should be wound up immediately the New Year begins in order to
    endow the house with good fortune, while all daily cleaning and
    dusting should be completed early in the day of December 31 in order
    to avoid the danger of sweeping good luck from the house.

On New Year's Day if, on rising, a girl should look out of her
    bedroom window and see a man passing by, she may reckon to be married
    before the year is finished.

Children born on New Year's Day bring great fortune and prosperity to
    all the household.

To dance in the open air, especially round a tree, on New Year's Day
    is declared to ensure luck in love and prosperity and freedom from
    ill health during the coming twelve months.

Eating ham or pork of any kind on New Years day...You'll be living
    off the fat of the land all year.

False
    Wow, enjoynature, you are a wealth of information, love them all. Thanks for taking the time to post them.

Rosie
    False
    These are all good! Keep them coming.
    Marge
    False
    Any more?
    False
    "Not to hang up next years calendar until the new year comes in"

I was going to say not to change the calendar until the date actually changes. My daughter just went to take down December and put up January and I said "NOOO!!! It's bad luck!" LOL. Not that I'm superstitious, mind you. I'm just not taking chances. Heh.
    False
    "If I have ventured wrongly, very well, life then helps me with its penalty. But if I haven't ventured at all, who helps me then?"
    Kissing at midnight: We kiss those dearest to us at midnight not only to share a moment of celebration with our favorite people, but also to ensure those affections and ties will continue throughout the next twelve months. To fail to smooch our significant others at the stroke of twelve would be to set the stage for a year of coldness.

Stocking Up: The new year must not be seen in with bare cupboards, lest that be the way of things for the year. Larders must be topped up and plenty of money must be placed in every wallet in the home to guarantee prosperity.

Paying Off Bills: The new year should not be begun with the household in debt, so checks should be written and mailed off prior to January 1st. Likewise, personal debts should be settled before the New Year arrives.

False
    Also, do not do the laundry on New Year's Day, lest a member of the family be 'washed away' (die) in the upcoming months. The more cautious eschew even washing dishes.

New Clothes: Wear something new on January 1 to increase the likelihood of your receiving more new garments during the year to follow.

Money: Do not pay back loans or lend money or other precious items on New Year's Day. To do so is to guarantee you'll be paying out all year.
    False
    Letting the Old Year Out: At midnight, all the doors of a house must be opened to let the old year escape unimpeded. He must leave before the New Year can come in, says popular wisdom, so doors are flung open to assist him in finding his way out.

Loud Noise: Make as much noise as possible at midnight. You're not just celebrating; you're scaring away evil spirits, so do a darned good job of it!
    False
    Empty pockets or empty cupboards on New Years Eve portend a year of poverty
    New Years Superstitions: If the first person to cross the threshold of a house after midnight on New Years is a dark-haird man and he carries a shovel full of coal, then a year of good luck will follow.
    New Years Superstitions: Its bad luck to let a fire go out on New Year's Eve.
    New Years Superstitions: You could ensure yourself good fortune by draining the last dregs from a bottle of drink on New Years!
    New Years Superstitions: The Weather: If the wind blows from the south, there will be fine weather and prosperous times in the year ahead. If it comes from the north, it will be a year of bad weather. The wind blowing from the east brings famine and calamities. If the wind blows from the west, the year will witness plentiful supplies of milk and fish but will also see the death of a very important person. If there's no wind at all, a joyful and prosperous year may be expected by all.
    False
    open the door in order to allow the Old Year to pass out and the New Year to come in.
    New Years Superstitions: Kissing at midnight: To ensure that those affections and ties will continue throughout the next twelve months. To not do this would be to set the stage for a year of coldness.
    New Years Superstitions: Stocking Up: The New Year must not be seen in with bare cupboards, lest that be the way of things for the year. Larders must be topped up and plenty of money must be placed in every wallet in the place to guarantee a prosperous year.
    False
    You'll 'cut off' fortune if you use scissors on new years day
    New Years Superstitions: Empty pockets or empty cupboards on New Years Eve portend a year of poverty
    False