Question- how long does dry milk powder last? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Question- how long does dry milk powder last?

Last post Jun 26, 2012 7:05 PM by Cedarglen . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Question- how long does dry milk powder last?
    I bought a box of dry milk powder 1-2 years ago. I didn't open it yet. It's sitting in my cubboard. Do you know if it's still good yet? Should I have refridgerated it BEFORE I even open it up? Thanks for the help.
    False
  • RE: Question- how long does dry milk powder last?
    I've kept in the freezer for up to 2 years. I've found that in the cupboard, it gets kind of rancid/old smelling after about a year (we have hot summer-low humidity). Mix up a small batch and REFRIGERATE overnight. See how it tastes--remember it's gonna taste different than "real" milk, but see if it has that 'old' or 'rancid' aftertaste. May still be ok, and just use it up for casseroles, etc.
    False
    RE: Non-fat dry milk
    Posted by: Karolin Posted on: 10/17/2002 10:56:19 PM
    #R708479
    Instant nonfat dry milk should be kept in a cool, dry place. Unopened packages can be kept for about 6 months without refrigeration.

Once dry milk has been opened, keep the unused portion in the original package or transfer it to a tightly covered container. Close the package immediately after using.

After dry milk has been reconstituted with water, it should be immediately refrigerated and can be kept under refrigeration for about 1 week.

False
    Nothing of value in life comes effortlessly.
    I would imagine that it could go rancid but be safe and freeze it early on.
    False
    Nonfat dry milk
    1 year
    False
    I bought a box a couple months ago and the sell by date on it is October,2007
    False
    I use that when I make bread in my machine, and I've never thought about it going bad. Once I open a packet, I put the rest into a jar and keep it in the cupboard. I've been doing this for 5 years, and noone has ever complained about my bread. Lynn in Cabot
    False
    Thanks to everyone. I think next time I'll just use it right away or freeze it. You know how it goes. You buy the stuff to make a certain recipe, but don't end up making that recipe because you can't find it or you make other stuff instead. Thanks again!!
    False
    It's non-fat, so there's really nothing to go rancid. A box of dry milk usually lasts me about a year. I just keep it in the cupboard (and I don't have air-conditioning), and I've never had a problem with it. Of course, dry milk always smells and tastes funny--even when fresh--because the sugars are altered in the drying process, changing the flavor.
    False
  • Re: Question- how long does dry milk powder last?

I think the labels say 8-10 months or so.  Very conservative in my view.  Please also note that I use this stuff only for baking, but I use a lot and buy it in bulk.  I always repackage it at home (sealed zipper bags or heavier) and store then stash  them in the freezers.  Even at 2+ years beyond the formal expiration date, I've never encountered any off odors or tastes and it seems to be just fine.  Just like most other staple goods, the most important part is the storage conditions.  Truth be told, I'd never drink reconstituted skim milk as a beverage; I was forced to do so, if briefly as a child and it truly sucks!  That 'economy' program lasted until one of us boldly challenged our frugal Mother, "We will drink it when you drink it."  One mouthful and her experiment was over, but she never apologized for trying to poison us.  For baking and cooking, it works just fine, but storage seems to be key.  Best wishes.

False