Salt-Free Dog Treats | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Salt-Free Dog Treats

Last post Jan 07, 2006 4:25 PM by craftylady_nh . 12 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
  • Salt-Free Dog Treats
    My beloved fur baby was recently put on a very strict salt free diet. Anyone have a recipe for treats without salt? This of course leaves out cheese, peanut butter - all the goodies :)

Thank you in advance for your help.
    False
  • RE: Salt-Free Dog Treats
    Bump for help
    False
    Try doing a search on yahoo or google.
    You'll probably find some. I've a friend that makes treats for her dogs, I'll ask her if she's any recipes salt free. I won't see her until Tues. or Wed. tho.
    False

Apple Cinnamon Drops

1 Large Apple
    1/4 C Honey
    1/2 C Water
    1/2 Tea. Cinnamon
    1 C Oatmeal
    1 1/2 C Wheat Flour
    1/4 C Wheat Flour

Preheat oven to 350
    Core, slice and mince the apple (use a food processor if you have one). In a large bowl, combine the minced apple bits, honey, water, cinnamon, and oatmeal. Gradually blend in the wheat flour, adding enough to form a stiff dough.
    Spoon the dough by rounded teaspoon onto ungreased baking sheets, spacing about 2 inches (5cm) apart. Using the bottom of a glass dipped in the wheat flour (to prevent sticking), flatten each spoonful of dough into a circle. Adjust the size of the drops based on how big a treat you like to feed your dog.
    Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and flip each cookie to brown evenly on both sides. Reduce oven temperature to 325. Return to oven and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
    ~~ My girls (dogs of course) love this....and it smells sooooo good baking.
    False

http://mammascookin.blogspot.com/

Mamma482, Thanks so much for the recipe, but how much wheat flour, it's listed twice?

movnspeech, Thank you - I'd sure appreciate your friend's recipe.

Thank you both so much!
    False
    I make these at Christmas for our dogs and to give as gifts. Dogs LOVE them!!!

Dog Treats

1 c. peanut butter
    2 c. whole wheat flour
    1 c. milk
    1 tbsp. baking powder

Mix dry ingredients; add milk and peanut butter separately. Roll out to about ¼ inch thick, cut out. Bake 350 15 – 20 min.
    False
    Here are a few ideas .......

HOUND HEARTS (Dog Treats)
    OVEN: 325 Deg.

1/4 c. Vegetable Oil
    1/4 lb. Chicken Hearts (or combo of hearts & gizzards)
    1 can (14-1/2 oz.) diced Tomatoes in juice
    4 c. Whole-Wheat Flour
    2 c. Cooked Rice
    4 T. dried Basil

Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
    Add chicken hearts & cook, stirring frequently, until meat is brown, about 3 - 4 min.
    Place cooked chicken hearts, including oil, in a blender w/tomatoes, including juice. Puree.
    Place flour, cooked rice, chicken-heart puree & basil in a large bowl.
    Mix thoroughly to combine. Roll out dough on a floured surface to about 1/4" thickness.
    Using a cookie cutter, cut into heart shapes.
    Combine dough scraps & continue to roll out & cut into shapes until all dough has been used.
    Place cookies on UNgreased sheets & bake 30 - 35 min. Turn off oven & let cookies dry in it for 3 hrs. to overnight.
    Makes 5 - 6 dozen.

Continued ...................
    False
    DOGGIE WICHES (Dog Treats)

4 c. Whole-Wheat Flour
    2 c. All-Purpose Flour
    1 can (14-1/2 oz.) Chicken Broth (I would assume you could use Low-Sodium)
    4 T. dried Parsley Flakes
    2 T. Vegetable Oil

Place all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly to combine.
    Roll out dough on a floured surface to about 1/8" thickness & cut into squares using a cookie cutter.
    Combine dough scraps & continue to roll out & cut into shapes until all dough has been used.
    Place cookies on UNgreased foil-lined baking sheets & bake 30 - 35 min. Turn off oven & let cookies dry in it 3 hrs. or overnight. Place your dog's favorite sandwich filling (such as peanut butter or ham & cheese) between two squares.
    Makes 5 - 6 dozen.

GINGER BONES (Dog Treats)

4 c. All-Purpose Flour
    2 c. Whole-Wheat Flour
    1 c. Molasses
    1 c. Water
    1/2 c. Vegetable Oil
    4 T. ground Ginger
    2 tsp. ground Cinnamon
    1 tsp. ground Cloves

Place all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly to combine.
    Roll out dough on a floured surface to about 1/4" thickness.
    Using a cookie cutter, cut into bone shapes.
    Place cookies on UNgreased, foil-lined baking sheets & bake in preheated oven 30 - 35 min.
    Makes 5 - 6 dozen.

Dar
    False
    The 1/4 cup is for dipping the glass into to flatten the balls or they will stick to the glass.
    False

http://mammascookin.blogspot.com/

Thanks Darvr for the great recipes!

Mommasyd, your recipe is great except she's not allowd 'any' salt, so no peanut butter:( Thank you though.

Mamma482 - Thanks for the clarification.

If anyone else has any salt-free doggie treat recipes I'd sure appreciate it-you guys are wonderful! :)
    False
    I make these for my granddog and he loves them. Found the recipe on allrecipes.com

BIRTHDAY BONES
    2 cups whole wheat flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1 cup unsalted natural peanut butter
    1 cup skim milk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets. Stir together the flour and baking powder; set aside.
    In a medium bowl, mix together the peanut butter and milk. Stir in the flour mixture until well blended. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness and cut into shapes using cookie cutters. Place 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.
    Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly brown. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks
    False
    Thanks Craftylady - never seen the unsalted PB, but then never looked for it! Definitely will give some of these great treats a try.

Thank you all so much for your help.
    False
    It should be by the regular peanut butter. I buy the Teddie brand, not sure if it's carried in your area.
    False