Regular or Frost Free Freezer | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Regular or Frost Free Freezer

Last post Jan 15, 2006 11:30 PM by KY_Kate . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Regular or Frost Free Freezer
    I have a 30 year old upright freezer and I am afraid that it is going to quit any day now. I am looking for opinions on pros and cons of regular or frost free and the reasons you like the one you cnose.
    False
  • RE: Regular or Frost Free Freezer
    While I'd never have a refrigerator that WASn't frost-free, that's not a feature I want on a deep freeze.

The mechanism that makes the appliance works by pulling moisture from the freezer--and it's contents. It's hard on the food you are storing, and you won't get as long life from your frozen food, if you have a frost-free model.

Of course, defrosting the freezer 4X (or so) a year can be a pain, but I figure it's a reasonable trade-off for not letting my expensive food get dried out. We just use a plastic ice scraper (from the car) and a hair dryer, and the job only takes about 20 minutes or so. Not too bad.
    False
    I asked that question last year when I had to replace my old freezer. I was told by the salesman and the technician who works on freezers that the newer freezers heat up so little (to allow the frost forming to melt) that there is virtually no difference in the quality of your food. I bought a frost free and am very glad that I did. I can tell no difference in my food being 'old' or 'freezer burned'.
    False
    My chest freezer died while I was out of town. When I got back I discovered that everything was nearly thawed out so I hurridly bought an upright just to get a freezer. I had always wanted an upright. But if there had been a frost free available for as quickly as I needed one I would have bought frost free. Mine is not frost free and when I take a roast or chicken or something out the next time I go into the freezer the frost has filled in the space. I have less and less in it but no room due to frost.
    I'd say go frost free. Marlene
    False
    My chest freezer died while I was out of town. When I got back I discovered that everything was nearly thawed out so I hurridly bought an upright just to get a freezer. I had always wanted an upright. But if there had been a frost free available for as quickly as I needed one I would have bought frost free. Mine is not frost free and when I take a roast or chicken or something out the next time I go into the freezer the frost has filled in the space. I have less and less in it but no room due to frost.
    False
    False
    My DH bought a new freezer a year and a half ago and I wasn't happy about it because he purchased a frost free. I was sure it would ruin our food but I have been pleasantly surprised, it hasn't ruined a thing and I don't have to defrost. I really like it and DH is out of the dog house. ;-) Go for the frost free.
    False
    I have 3 CHEST freezers - ages 40+ yrs. (we bought this used 16 yrs. ago - only needed a shorted wire fixed), 30 yrs. & 12 yrs. All of them are manual defrost and they've been fine.

Keep them pretty filled up and they should not develop THAT much frost. I'm in the country so I use one for breads/fruits and one for fish/meat. The extra one (was my mothers) - I'm getting a side of beef to fill in that one.

Dar
    False
    I have a frost free and always have had that type. I read recently - in some food column, etc., though, that the frost free Is more likely to cause freezer burn. Not sure I believe that as I have never had a problem with that as long as I wrapped my meat, baked goods, etc. properly (I usually double wrap anything I am going to keep longer than a week) and didn't keep them "forever". I doubt that I would want to be defrosting a freezer - whenever they need it. However - that would definitely keep you from keeping things too long - or losing things.
    Tria
    False
    Tria
    I'd never buy another freezer that wasn't frost free because everyone I know that bought them love them and don't have any problems!

pegg
    False

pegg

Ihave a huge upright that I defrost two times a year.9when we butcher beef and pork) I also limit access to this freezer to once a week, moving stuff to the freeser in my frost free frig.

Will buy frost free next time.
    False
    Thank you to all of you that responded to my question. My husband and I are going out tomorrow to check out the frost free upright freezers. That is what we have now except that we have to defrost the one that we have. One problem we have is that we would like to get a larger one than we have now but have a limited space in which the freezer must fit. We will see.
    False
    I have a chest freezer. It is frost-free, and much easier to clean than the upright freezer I used to have. I bought 9-10 storage boxes with latch type lids. I numbered the boxes, and I write on a white board what is in each box.

KY Kate
    False
    I think I am way too tired! My is the regular kind, not frost free. I think my brain was frozen when I responded.

Kate
    False