I want to make a knock your socks off chocolate cake for valentines | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

I want to make a knock your socks off chocolate cake for valentines

Last post Jan 30, 2006 2:26 PM by Cubbybear . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • I want to make a knock your socks off chocolate cake for valentines
    I want to make a special chocolate cake for valentines day. one of the kinds like Baker's catalog is selling or one of the fancy expensive knock your socks off cake that has a million calories a bite. You know what I mean? I know at the cheesecake factory they have a Diane Cake. It cost like $55 but is so big and chocolaty. Anyone have any to die for recipes?
    False
  • RE: I want to make a knock your socks off chocolate cake for valentines
    Here's one that I got off the BB, it's from Bon Appetiti

Chocolate Stout Cake

2 cups stout (such as Guinness)
    2 cups unsalted butter
    1 1 /2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
    4 cups flour'
    4 cups sugar
    1 tbsp baking soda
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    4 large eggs
    1 1/3 cups sour cream

Icing
    2 cups whipping cream
    1 lb bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate chopped

Cake:
    Preheat oven to 350. Grease 3-8" round cake pans wit 2" sides. Line with parchment paper and grease it. Bring 2 cups stout and 2 cups butter to simmer in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add cocoa powder and whishk until mixture is smooth. Cool slightly.

Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Using mixer, beat eggs, sour cream. Add stout/choc mixture to egg mixture and beat to combine. Add flour mixture and beat briefly on slow speed. Using rubber spatula, fold batter until completely combined. Divide batter equally among prepared pans. Bake until tester comes out clean about 35 minutes. REmove cakes form pans after 10 min. Cool completely.

Icing: Bring cream to simmer. Remove drom heat and add chopped choc and whisk til smooth. Refrig until icing is spreadable. stirring freq. About 2 hrs

Place 1 layer on plate. Spread 2/3 cup over. top with 2nd layer and 2/3 cup icing. Top with last layer and spread remaining icing over top and sides.

Makes at least 12 servings.

Very rich and very moist and Very good.

Jill
    False
    What is Stout and where do you find it? Thanks
    False
    Cathy, stout is in the beer section of your market or liquor store.

Ellie
    False
    This recipe will definately knowck your socks off!!

This recipe was in the December, 2005 issue of Midwest Living:

Cafe Latte's Turtle Cake

Unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 egg, slightly beaten
    1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
    2/3 cup cooking oil
    2 cups flour
    1 3/4 cups sugar
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 Table. baking soda
    1 cup brewed hot coffee

Chocolate Frosting (recipe follows
    1 1/2 cups pecan halves, toasted
    3/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
    (I prefer Mrs. Richardson's Butterscotch-Caramel Topping)

1. Grease three 9-inch round cake pans. Line bottom with parchment paper. Grease the paper; dust with cocoa powder. Set pans aside.

2. In a small bowl, combine egg, buttermilk and oil; set aside. In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, 1/2 cup cocoa, soda and salt. Gradually add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, beating until combined. Gradually beat in hot coffee. Pour batter into prepared pans; spread evenly. Layers will appear shallow.

3. Bake at 350 for 25 - 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes and then invert on wire racks and peel off paper. Cool completely.

4. When cool, prepare chocolate frosting. Place 1 cake layer, top side down, onto a serving plate. Using an icing spatula or a wide knife, work quickly to frost top of this layer with 1/3 the frosting, pushing it out slightly from edges to make a ripple or petal effect. Arrange 1/3 of the pecans on top and drizzle with 1/4 cup of the carmel topping (if using Mrs. Richardson's - you may have to heat in micro very slightly to drizzle).

Top with the 2nd layer, top side down. Repeat with frosting, pecans and caramel. Top with 3rd layer, right side up. Repeat with frosting, pecans and caramel.

5. Chill cake 1 - 2 hours before serving. Makes 12 - 16 servings.

CHOCOLATE FROSTING

In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup milk. Add 6 tablespoons butter. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add 12 oz bag of semi sweet chocolate chips.
    False
    Turtle Cake Continued.....

Using a wire wiskm mix frosting ingredients unti smooth. If frosting is too thick or grainy, add 1 - 2 reaspoons hot coffee. Makes about 2 1/2 cups.

NOTE - If you have only 2 - 9 inch pans, chill 1/3 batter while you bake the other 2 layers.

This is to die for!!

Josie
    False
    Correction to Turtle Cake

Should add 1 teaspoon salt to cake ingredients.

Sorry,
    Josie
    False
    Turtle Cake Continued.....

Using a wire wisk mix frosting ingredients until smooth. If frosting is too thick or grainy, add 1 - 2 teaspoons hot coffee. Makes about 2 1/2 cups.

NOTE - If you have only 2 - 9 inch pans, chill 1/3 batter while you bake the other 2 layers.

This is to die for!!

Josie
    False
    Here is one that is pretty special!!!

Cupid’s Chocolate Cake
    1 cup butter or margarine, softened
    2-1/2 cups sugar
    4 eggs
    2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
    2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup baking cocoa
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 cups water
    1 cup whipping cream
    1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
    4 cups buttercream frosting of your choice
    In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat on high speed until light and fluffy. Stir in 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; add to the creamed mixture alternately with water. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in, round baking pans. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely For filling, in a mixing bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Beat in confectioners’ sugar and remaining vanilla. Place bottom cake layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the filling. Repeat. Place top layer on cake; frost top and sides of cake with buttercream frosting. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-14 servings.

(Continued)

White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
    False
    White Chocolate Butter Cream Frosting

6 squares Baker's Premium White Chocolate
    1/4 cup whipping cream or milk
    1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter cut into pieces
    1 cup powdered sugar

Microwave white chocolate and cream in medium bowl on hi for 1 1/2
    minutes or until whte chocolate is almost melted, stirring halfway
    through heating time. Stir until whte chocolate is completely
    melted. Cool until room temperature (about 30 minutes.)

Beat butter and sugar gradually into cooled mixture on high speed
    until light and fluffy. Makes enough to frost 2-9 inch cake layers.
    Recipe can be doubled.

♥♥SassyGrits♥♥

False
    We had some cake in a fancy restaurant that had chocolate layers and 2 kinds of chocolate iceing, 1 of them was a ganache. I wish I knew how to make ganache
    False
    Hi! I just bumped up two ganache posts here on the board. If you want more type ganache in the search engine to the top left. There is several other postings.

False
    The icing for the chocolate stout cake is a ganache

Jill
    False
    bump
    False
    Chocolate Cake and French Silk Frosting
    2 cups all-purpose flour or cake flour
    2 cups sugar
    1-teaspoon soda
    1-teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon baking powder
    ¾ cup water
    ¾ cup buttermilk
    ½ cup shortening
    2 eggs (1/3 to ½ cup)
    1-teaspoon vanilla
    4 ounces melted unsweetened chocolate, cooled (I use 4 packages of Nestles Cocoa Bake)

Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour baking pan, 13x9x2 inches, or two 9-inch or three 8-inch round layer pans. Measure all ingredients into large mixer bowl. Blend ½ minute on low speed, scraping bowl constantly. Beat 3 minutes high speed, scraping bowl constantly. Pour evenly into pan(s).

Bake oblong 40 to 45 minutes, layers 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool.

French Silk Frosting

2 2/3 cups confectioners’ sugar
    2/3-cup soft butter
    2 ounces melted unsweetened chocolate, cool (or 2 packages of Nestles Cocoa Bake)
    ¾ teaspoon vanilla
    2 tablespoons milk

In small mixer bowl, blend sugar, butter, chocolate and vanilla on low speed. Gradually add milk; beat until smooth and fluffy.
    False
    In loving memory of Suzy