ISO: how to keep baking soda fresh | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

ISO: how to keep baking soda fresh

Last post Jan 28, 2006 10:15 PM by Roselle . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • ISO: how to keep baking soda fresh
    I'm so tired of flat cookies, and I'm pretty sure it's because my baking soda is stale. I need some tips on keeping it fresh. Maybe there is a special container for this purpose?

TIA,

belindacat
    False
  • RE: ISO: how to keep baking soda fresh
    I use the good ole tupperware canisters for this. Flour, sugar, coffee, baking powder, baking soda, tea, brown sugar....etc. are all stored in my tupperware in the cupboard. Works well for me. Also, I think they say that baking powder/soda is good on your shelf for 6 mos. But I have to confess, I keep mine longer.

Tink!
    False
    Always treat people they way you want to be treated. ~Tink~
    Just zip it into a zip lock bag!!!!

might not be the cause of flat cookies....test it by putting some in a cup and add some vinager, if it fizzes its OK.

I would have called you but I would have to get off the net and back on again...darn dialup!!
    False
    I suggest buying a new box and writing a date on it and then get a new box in 6 months.
    You might also check the expiration date on the bottom of your baking powder can--I think that goes stale faster than soda.
    False
    Hi mom! i did already think of the zip lock. but when I tried it I found that it was messy, and the bag can get ripped- you know how my cupboards are!

Tink- what size tupperware. This is what I was thinking, but don't have the right size.

jdawn- I think you're right about the baking powder.
    False
    Hey Blin I meant to put the whole BOX in the ziploc!!
    False
    I always dump mine in a large mouth jar. It's about a 2 cup? size with a platic lid. I have a big collection of these that I think my Mom bought mustard or something in years ago. It stays good for a long time.
    False

"Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book." ~Author Unknown

I've never had baking soda lose it's punch. It really shouldn't--it's just one half of the chemical reaction, so unless it's somehow coming in contact with acid where you store it, there's no way it can really complete the foaming process. I keep mine on the shelf in the cardboard box, and it keeps just fine.

Keep in mind, that baking soda only works if you have an acid in the recipe--are you using the recipe as written? Or are you subbing ingredients. If it's a recipe that calls for baking soda, you must have an acid--for example, citrus juice, vinegar, sour cream, buttermilk, sour milk, brown sugar, molasses, or chocolate.

There's another possibility. Are you talking about chocolate chip cookies? Are you using butter instead of shortening? If so, that's most likely the problem. Using butter in CC cookies almost always produces flat cookies. You can try adding a touch more flour, but don't go overboard, because it can make them too doughy-tasting. Another thing--be sure to let cookie sheets cool completely between batches. Putting cookie dough on a hot sheet can make the cookies melt and flatten.
    False