Looking for Hungarian Kifli recipe | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Looking for Hungarian Kifli recipe

Last post Aug 06, 2013 3:57 PM by Babcia_PA . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Looking for Hungarian Kifli recipe
    Hi from New Jersey- I'm new here. I'd love to find an authentic Hungarian Kifli recipe - the kind that you fill with prune or apricok lekvar and also with ground nuts and raisins. My grandmother made 2 kinds: one I believe had a cream cheese dough and another that had a very flaky crust. She never wrote anything down and I have not had any luck trying to duplicate them.
    False
  • RE: Looking for Hungarian Kifli recipe
    Vanillas Kifli

3/4 c Butter; unsalted, at room temperature
    1/2 c Sugar, granulated
    2 Egg yolks
    1 ts Vanilla
    2 c Flour, all purpose
    1/2 c Vanilla sugar;*
    2 oz Chocolate, semi sweet;

*Vanilla sugar is available in the baking section of most supermarkets, in bulk food stores and baking supply stores.

1. Beat butter with sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat in yolks and vanilla. Gradually beat in flour. Turn out onto counter and knead as you would bread until well combined. Form into a ball, cover with a bowl and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours.

2. Preheat oven to 375F. To form the crescents, roll about 1 Tbsp of the dough in the palms of your hands. Then continue rolling to form a rope about 3 inches long and 1/2 inch thick. Bend rope to form crescent. Repeat with remaining dough, placing on ungreased cookie sheets about 1 inch apart. Bake on centre sheet of preheated oven for about 10 to 12 minutes. Cookies should be white in colour. To prevent breaking, cool on cookie sheets for 5 minutes. Then, while cookies are still warm, carefully roll in vanilla sugar. Repeat with remaining cookies. Cool cookies completely.

3. Meanwhile, melt chocolate in a double boiler set over simmering water. When cookies are cool, dip tips of each cookie in melted chocolate, then set on waxed paper to dry.
    False
    Kifli (Hungarian Walnut Cookies)

Yield: 6 Dozen

Dough:
    4 3/4 cups Unsifted all-purpose flour
    2 cups Butter or margarine
    4 large Egg yolks, slightly beaten
    1 cup Sour cream

Filling:
    1 1/4 lb Shelled walnuts (about 5 Cups), ground
    1 cup Granulated sugar
    1/2 cup Milk
    1 tbl. Almond extract

Glaze:
    1 large Egg, beaten
    Confectioners' sugar

Make dough: in a large bowl, place the flour and the butter. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut the butter into the flour until
    the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the egg yolks and sour cream; stir with a fork until combined.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly
    floured board or pastry cloth. Knead the dough with your hands until it is smooth and can be shaped into a ball. If dough is too sticky, knead in more flour. If desired, wrap
    dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate.

Make filling: in a medium-sized bowl, place the ground walnuts, granulated sugar, milk and almond extract.

Using a wooden spoon, stir in walnut
    mixture until ingredients are thoroughly combined. Prehead oven to 400F. Grease baking sheets with solid vegetable shortening.

To shape Kifli: divide the dough into quarters; wrap three of the quarters separately in plastic wrap and set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the remaining quarter of the dough to a 15" x 12"
    rectangle that is 1/8" thick.

Using a pastry wheel, cut the rectangle of dough into 3-inch squares. Place a heaping teaspoon of the walnut filling in the center
    of each square; bring one corner of the dough over the filling to the opposite corner; pinch edges together.

Place Kifli on baking sheets; brush
    with the beaten egg. Bake for 10 minutes or until cookies are golden brown. Remove from the baking sheet. Fill the bottom of a pie plate with confectioners' sugar. Roll Kifli
    in the sugar. Let cool on wire racks. Repeat steps with the remaining three quarters of
    dough.

False
    Hi there , My grandmother was from Austria and this was her recipe.
    1/2 lb butter
    6 oz cream cheese
    2 egg yolks
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    2 cups flour
    Mix above ingredients make balls of dough size of golf balls and put in fridge. I usually put in overnight.
    When you go to roll these out use confection sugar and please roll the dough very thin before you put your fillingon. Bake these at 350 deg for about 15 minutes, Make sure your oven stays at 350 deg. I use the egg white and two cups of english walnuts ground very fine plus 2 tsp sugar and 2 tbsl milk. These kifels are the best. Bill
    False
    Here is a site that might have just what you're looking for. I can't seem to make a link to it but here is the address.

http://homepage.interaccess.com/~june4/recipes.html

False
    vky,

Oh, I mean't to say welcome to the board!
    Also my Grandma was from Hungary and she used to make these. But since she never wrote down her recipes I've been trying to duplicate them for years. Sometimes she would fill them with a pineapple jam and roll them in granulated sugar.
    Patty
    False
    A true kifli is a puff pastry. You can use it to do like turnovers or more things that call with puff pastry. I do have an old recipe I will dig out. It is on one of my discs I managed to rescue when MC crashed last summer. Back in a sec...
    False
    drats-cant find it!
    False
    Thanks everyone - to "moonchild" I know that one of grandmom's recipes was in fact a very light, flaky, puff pastry and "retired Bill" thank you so much - -the recipe you provided sounds just about right. I'm going to try it very soon and I'll let you know. Many, many thanks to everyone.
    False
    Hi "twicat" - I'm going to try yours too! Sounds like it's going to be yummy!
    False

Would you share this recipe?  I have been looking forever for a recipe of a flaky, puff pastry log filled with ground nuts and maybe raisins or grated apples, not sure, but was very very delicious.  Thank you.

False

Bill, how many egg whites do you use for your filling?

Anna

False