What happens if you retract a bid on Ebay? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What happens if you retract a bid on Ebay?

Last post Feb 12, 2006 6:56 PM by HomestyleAR . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • What happens if you retract a bid on Ebay?
    Also posted in KC.

I bid $12 on a book, then realized I already have it. Can I retract the bid? Will I get negative feedback?

Thanks
    False

Please be kind to animals.       Trust everyone, but always cut the cards.

• RE: What happens if you retract a bid on Ebay?
    When you are the winning bidder, you are obligated to pay the high-bid price for
    the item. As a rule, retracting bids is not allowed on eBay

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/bid-retract.html

Bid Retractions
    Bid carefully - retractions are rarely allowed

When you are the winning bidder, you are obligated to pay the high-bid price for the item. As a rule, retracting bids is not allowed on eBay.

Remember that all bids on eBay are binding, except:

Sales of real estate or businesses (see the Non-Binding Bid Policy)
    Sales of items that are prohibited by law or by eBay's User Agreement
    Exceptional Circumstances Only

There are, however, a few exceptional circumstances (described in the User Agreement) under which you may retract a bid. These are if:

You made a typographical error and entered the wrong bid amount. For instance, you bid $99.50 instead of $9.95. If this occurs, re-enter the correct bid amount immediately after you retract your bid. If you do not place another bid, the retraction will be in violation of eBay's policy and could result in your suspension. Please review the retraction guidelines if you need to retract your bid.
    False

Cool

i retracted a bid once. Same thing as you, bid and already had it. You dont get negative feedback *well I didnt* but where it shows your feedback, neg. pos. etc it will also show your bid retractions for i think the last 6 months.

Tink!
    False
    Always treat people they way you want to be treated. ~Tink~
    The description of an item you have bid on has changed significantly.
    You can't reach the seller. This means that you tried calling the seller but his or her phone number doesn't work, or you have tried emailing a message to the seller and it comes back undeliverable.
    Someone has bid on an item using your User ID and password.
    Timing Matters

There are special rules about retracting bids, depending on when you originally placed the bid.

If you place a bid before the last 12-hours of the listing: You may retract that bid before that last 12-hours, if your situation meets the above description of exceptional circumstances. You will not be allowed to retract that bid during the last 12-hours of the listing.

False

Cool

When you retract a bid before the last 12 hours of a listing: you will eliminate all bids you have placed on that item. If you are correcting a bidding error, you will have to bid again.

If you place a bid during the last 12-hours of the listing: You may retract the bid only within one hour after placing the bid (and if your situation meets eBay's exceptional circumstances description).

When you retract a bid within the last 12 hours of the listing: You will eliminate only the most recent bid you placed. Bids you placed prior to the last 12 hours will not be retracted.

If you are not allowed to retract your bid during the last 12-hours of the listing, you may contact the seller to request that your bid be canceled. The seller will have the discretion whether to cancel your bid.

Accountability

Your total number of bid retractions in the past six months is displayed in your member profile.

eBay will thoroughly investigate bid retractions. Abuse of this feature may result in the suspension of your account. Bids retracted within the last 24 hours of listing can be viewed as bid shielding, which is a serious violation of our policy.

How To Retract a Bid

To retract a bid, use the Bid Retraction form.

Note: There is no equivalent for bid retraction in Buy It Now listings. Once you've confirmed your purchase, you are obligated to pay the seller.

False

Cool

Thank you Holly. I guess I will have to stick with the bid. The auction doesn't close for about 3 hours, I will just hope someone outbids me.
    False

That is not a valid reason for a bid retraction. You cannot retract it. You can hope you get outbid. Or you can win, pay and then resell the item yourself.

You could email the seller and ask them if they will cancel your bid, but they are under NO obligation to do so.
    False
    Thank you Tink. I guess I won't retract it. Oh well. I will be stuck with it.
    False

Thank you Moonchild. I don't know how to sell on Ebay. I will just wait and see, and hope I get outbid. I won't ask the seller. I don't want anything negative on my feedback.
    False

sheesh they must have changed the rules....since i used ebay...LOL.. It was years ago since i retracted and there we no problems whatsoever. That is crazy....who knew. Sorry for the Mis info Donna....

Tink~
    False
    Always treat people they way you want to be treated. ~Tink~
    Write a nice note to seller and explain what happened-I've cancelled bids for buyers before or done the second chance (sold the item to second highest bidder instead) if a buyer contacts me with a good reason for not wanting something.
    False
    My sister loves EBay-but, she has gotten ripped-off by a few people there (reported them & EBay did not post negative reviews, either) and this retract a bid clause, leaves no room for buyer's remorse (that is why I won't bid on EBay-for both reasons).
    False

Cool

That is a good idea. Should I send a note to the seller now, or at the end of the auction?
    False

Try the note right now ~I just cancelled a bid for someone this week because they bid on a doll and realized it was not the larger one that they wanted.
    False
    I sell and buy on Ebay all the time, you can retract your bid without any problems, even if you are the only bidder. They will not give you a negative unless you don't pay for it, there is no way for them to leave a feedback unless the sale is over. Like one person said, if you retract a lot of items, Ebay will check you out, but this being your first one, it will be ok.
    I've had bidders contact be saying they didn't know how to retract it, the seller can take you off it they want to.
    Go ahead and retract your bid, and don't worry.
    False