Polenta Vs Mush Question | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Polenta Vs Mush Question

Last post Feb 18, 2006 12:08 AM by WATTLE . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Polenta Vs Mush Question
    Dear Friends, My 87 yr old mother is very hungry for what she calls corn meal mush, but we can't find it in stores. Is Polenta the same thing?? Thanks for your time!!!!
    False
  • RE: Polenta Vs Mush Question
    Corn meal mush and Polenta are the same thing. The only differenc is you pay more for the Polenta because it is an Italian thing! LOL You might be able to find the recipe for Corn Meal Mush on a box of Cornmeal.
    Hope this helps!
    Jackie
    False
    Thanks Jackie I appreciate it!
    False
    Corn Meal Mush
    1 cup White or Yellow Corn Meal
    1 cup cold water
    3 cups boiling water
    1 teaspoon salt

In large saucepan, bring 3 cups water and salt to a boil.
    In small bowl, mix corn meal with cold water.
    Gradually stir corn meal mixture into salted boiling water. Cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
    Cover, and continue cooking on low heat 5 minutes for white corn meal or 10 minutes for yellow corn meal, stirring occasionally.
    Serve hot with milk and sugar.
    6 servings

***Fried Mush - Prepare Corn Meal Mush as directed. Pour cooked corn meal into loaf pan. Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours or until firm. Remove from pan and cut into ¼-inch slices. Roll in flour and pan-fry in a small amount of hot fat until golden brown on both sides. Serve hot with syrup or honey.
    False
    Tip for you -- the cornmeal lumps up very easily when you're cooking and requires lots of stirring. If that doesn't do the trick, grab a "boat motor" as Emeril calls it (stick mixer)if you have one and mix it while cooking with that. The lumps will be gone.

If you like polenta, chilld and re-cooked kind of mush, here my recipe.

POLENTA

1 qt. water
    1 cup cornmeal
    4 oz. grated parmesan cheese
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. white pepper
    1 tsp. butter

In a 3-quart saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Slowly stir in the cornmeal and lower heat to a simmer. Continue tostir until cornmeal thickens and comes to a very smooth consistency, about 20 minutes. Add cheese, salt, nutmeg, and white pepper. Stir until cheese is combined. Pour into a glass pie pan and refrigerate.

When cool, cut into 8 wedges and fry in butter for about 15 minutes turning once until golden brown.

False
    Question is, does she want a bowl of hot cereal (like cream of wheat, but corn-flavored) or the fried mush. It's eaten both ways.

I have a bowl of hot cornmeal mush every day in the winter. Just put a cup of cold water into a small saucepan, add a pinch or 2 of salt, and 1/4 cup of yellow cornmeal. Whisk constantly while it cooks and thickens. That will give you one serving. Pour into a bowl, add maple syrup and butter if you want. I make mush all the time, never fuss with the cold water/boiling water method, and I never get lumps.

If she wants fried mush, just make a big pot of it, pour into a mold and chill. I'd recommend that when it comes time to cook, you dredge your slices in flour, shaking off the excess--they stick less that way. Fry in a very hot pan (preferably cast iron, to help with the sticking problem) in a good bit of oil.
    False
    I make corn meal mush in my small crockpot, using the recipe on the pkg. of cornmeal. Just dump it all in crockpot & cook on low overnight, stirring once or twice. I find it has a more roasted/toasted depth of flavor...yummy!

Cali
    False
    Same thing only. Polenta is nothing but a fancy name for corn meal. And the way it is prepared.
    False
    Bump:):).
    False

Wattle Paradise