When you do a roast in the crockpot, when do you put in the potatoes and carrots? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

When you do a roast in the crockpot, when do you put in the potatoes and carrots?

Last post Feb 18, 2006 11:26 PM by KathyLu . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • When you do a roast in the crockpot, when do you put in the potatoes and carrots?
    I often do roasts in the slow cooker, but I don't think I have ever done one with potatoes and carrots (I usually do it that way in the oven).
    Do you just put them all in at the same time, or do you add the vegis later?
    Thanks,
    KathyLu
    False
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us." Marianne Williamson http://www.wherearethecows.webs.com/
  • RE: When you do a roast in the crockpot, when do you put in the potatoes and carrots?
    HI, I put in the potatoes & carottes tunips at the same time. Lighter veg. such as green beas, pepper goes on aprox 1hr. before end of cooking time.
    Alic
    False
    Alice Arsenault
  • RE: When you do a roast in the crockpot, when do you put in the potatoes and carrots?
    Thank you so much.
    Dh is peeling them now.
    KLC
    False
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us." Marianne Williamson http://www.wherearethecows.webs.com/
    Kathy, I put them all in at the beginning. Make sure to poke your potatoes with a fork. You can add them later ~~ they'll be done but crunchy, but won't have that great cooked in a roast flavor.
    False
    Kathy, I always put them in all together.
    False
    I like to put the carrots & onion under the roast & potatoes around the side & on top. Just seems to even out the cooking.
    False
    I put it all in together, with the to die for seasonings. I use pork gravy instead of brown, though. Yummy.
    Um, Christine, what happens that I didn't poke my tatoes? I did cut them kind of smallish. They aren't going to explode all over my kitchen are they?
    Thanks for all the help, everybody.
    Too bad I have to work tonight and won't even get to taste the fruits of my labor. Booooo-Hooooo.
    Kathy
    False
    I put the potatoes in about 2 hours before serving, the carrots and mushrooms in about 1 hour before serving.
    I cook my pot roasts in my cast iron dutch oven in the oven.
    False
    Kathy, just makes them a fluffier texture. No explosions! LOL
    False
    I use yukon gold potatoes...no peeling, I do slice them into nice pieces and use baby carrots...and I add them at the beginning....
    False

It's not how you start, it's how you end....so end strong!!

Walk yourself strong!!

I have always cook my roast this way. I just peel the potatoes and cut them in 4ths. If you use this size, they won't fall apart. I put them all together in the morning and when I get home from work: make a little brown gravy and dinner is ready.

My mom just couldn't believe it the first time she watched me do it this way. She didn't think the carrots would ever be done when the roast and potatoes were.

I also add some onion slices in mine.
    False
    I just had the roast, I was at work when it was finished. It turned out great. The potatoes were firm, not at all mushy, and the carrots were just right too.
    Turned out so good that there is hardly any left to make hash for breakfast tomorrow, darn it, that's one of my favorite things about roast.
    Star, just do it, and don't tell Syd, or tell her she will just have to go hungry, it is such a great way to season the roast. Yummy.
    Can't wait to make my hash tomorrow morning, small portion that it will be, because the gravy is so darned good with it.
    Thanks for all the tips,
    KathyLu
    False