What Is The Difference Between CHUCK ROAST and CHUCK STEAK??? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What Is The Difference Between CHUCK ROAST and CHUCK STEAK???

Last post Mar 03, 2006 6:10 PM by alemapdraw . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • What Is The Difference Between CHUCK ROAST and CHUCK STEAK???
    I always buy chuck roasts when making roasts. I have never bought 'chuck steak, though. What do you use chuck steak for? Thanks!

Janet
    False
  • RE: What Is The Difference Between CHUCK ROAST and CHUCK STEAK???
    Grilled Chuck Steak

4 garlic cloves, minced
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 cup red wine vinegar
    2/3 cup ketchup
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    2 teaspoons sugar
    2 teaspoons dried basil
    1 boneless chuck steak (about 3 pounds, 1-1/2 inches thick)

In a small saucepan, saute garlic in oil for 3-4 minutes or until tender; remove from the heat. In a 4-cup measure, combine the vinegar, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, basil and garlic. Pour 1 cup marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add the meat. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade. Coat grill rack with nonstick cooking spray before starting the grill. Prepare grill for indirect heat. Drain and discard marinade from steak. Grill steak, uncovered, over medium heat until browned on each side. Move steak to indirect side of
    grill. Grill, covered, for 45-50 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°), basting occasionally with marinade.

Yield: 6-8 servings.
    False
    Peppered Steaks with Salsa

1/2 cup red wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons lime juice
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 to 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    4 boneless chuck eye steaks (about 8 ounces each)
    SALSA:
    1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
    1 medium ripe avocado, chopped
    2 green onions, thinly sliced
    1 tablespoon lime juice
    1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro or parsley
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper

In a small bowl combine the first eight ingredients.Pour 1/2 cup into a large resealable plastic bag; add steaks. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade for basting. Meanwhile, combine salsa ingredients; cover
    and chill. Drain and discard marinade from steaks. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 7-8 minutes on each side, basting with reserved marinade, or until meat reaches desired
    doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Serve with salsa.

Yield: 4 servings.

False
    Sweet-Sour Beef

2 pounds boneless beef round or chuck steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
    2 cups sliced carrots
    2 cups pearl onions
    1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1/2 cup molasses
    1/3 cup cider vinegar
    1/4 cup sugar
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons paprika
    1 teaspoon salt
    Shell macaroni and snipped chives, optional

In a large skillet, brown steak in oil; transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the next 10 ingredients; stir well. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender.
    Thicken if desired. Serve over macaroni and garnish with chives if desired.

Yield: 10-12 servings.
    False
    Thanks, redraspberrygirl, so I guess you prepare it just like a sirloin or ny strip? Is it a tender cut or tough? Just curious, my store has it on sale this week!
    False

Chuck steak is cut thinner than chuck roast. We grill or broil chuck steak and small chuck roasts.

Chuck roasts (over 1-1/2 inches) we often cook as a pot roast in a Dutch oven, crockpot, electric frying pan, etc ....

False

Janet,chuck steaks are`nt as tough as they used to be,but I still use tenderizer on them when grilling or frying.They are wonderful on the grill.Wish I had some:)
    rosie
    False

Since any given chuck steak will contain pieces of several muscle of varying degree of tenderness, look for steaks that include those particular muscles that are best suited for dry-heat cookery (dry-heat cooking means grilling, broiling, pan-frying and roasting) Look for chuck steaks that are cut adjacent to the prime rib section. These will include some rib bones. The meat next to the rib bone is called the rib-eye and will be as tender and tasty as rib-eye cut from the prime rib section and for a lot less money. Some butchers sell these steaks boneless, called chuck eye steaks. Often bone-in chuck steaks also include some blade bone. The strip of meat underneath the blade is tougher than the rib-eye meat but can be made more tender by marinating. For best results, chuck steaks should always be marinated (see recipe).

False

Buying Tip:
    Check for gristle. Otherwise, it is a often tender, because it is marbled.

False

It is a tougher cut of meat but when you marinate it that will tenderize it. I use chuck steak quite often when doing Italian beef instead of using a roast because you end up with a shorter shred of meat for sandwiches which I like.

Carol
    False
    Chuck steaks come from the chuck or shoulder section of the beef carcass. There are 35 different muscles in the chuck section – some are more tender than others. Chuck steaks have great flavor when grilled; some need a tenderizing marinade. Look for these cuts at the beef case:

Tender Beef Chuck Steaks

Beef Chuck Eye Steak

Beef Top Blade Steak – sometimes called “flat iron” steak

Beef Shoulder Petite Tender Steak – sometimes called “petite tender” or “shoulder tender” steak
    Beef Chuck Steaks Needing a Tenderizing Marinade (has a food acid like lemon juice, vinegar, etc. in the liquid)

Beef Shoulder Steak – sometimes called “charcoal” steak

Beef Arm Steak

Beef Blade Steak

Beef Shoulder Center Steak – sometimes called “ranch” steak
    False
    Chuck and top blade steaks take well to cooking by either dry or moist heat methods, depending on the cut. If broiling or grilling, always marinate this steak first to tenderize it. Marinades are seasoned liquids containing tenderizing ingredients, either acidic foods such as lemon juice, wine, vinegar, and tomato juice, or natural tenderizers such as pineapple, papaya, or ginger. Place the steak in an acid-resistant container, add meat—and turn the meat to make sure the marinade touches all surfaces. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight. Marinades can be added to chuck steak while cooking, but never consume marinades that have come in contact with raw meat unless they haven’t been thoroughly cooked to destroy all microorganisms.

To broil, marinate the steak first. Then preheat the broiling element and place the steak on a broiler pan 2 to 4 inches (5–10cm) from the heat source. Depending on the size, cook for 14 to 17 minutes, turning once. Remove the steak when it reaches desired degree of doneness—145°F (63°C) for medium rare or 160°F (71°C) for medium. An instant-read thermometer may help you judge the time. Steaks good for broiling include top blade, shoulder, chuck eye, and seven-bone.

To grill, marinate the steak first. Then place the meat, either whole or as kabobs, directly over the heat source. Grill 8 to 18 minutes, depending on the thickness of the meat. Good grilling steaks include top blade, shoulder, and seven-bone.

False
    Wow, thanks all for the info! I will try it!

Janet
    False
    Speaking of chuck roasts, have you ever tried a chuck eye steak. I call them "fake steak". My husband and I love them. Some time ago, I was at the store looking at all the steaks which ran about $8.00 to $10.00 a pound. We were really hungry for steak, but I did not want to pay that much for steak. As I was talking with the butcher about my dilema, he suggested a chuck eye steak. I responded with "NO WAY", I want steak not chuck roast. He told me that the chuck eye steak is right next to the rib eye steak on the animal. He told me to try some and he thought I would be pleasantly surprised. The trick to fixing these, is to season them well (I use salt, pepper and garlic salt) and do not over grill them. If you over cook a chuck eye steak, it will be tough. We like the chuck eye steak as well if not better than the real steaks (including New York Strip, T-bone and rib steaks, etc.). This is the only kind of steak I will buy now. Anytime chuck roasts are on sale, chuck eye steaks are on sale. This week I bought chuck eye steaks for $2.77 a pound. The butcher will even cut them to order for me, as thick or as thin as I want them. I usually will get several packs cut about 1/3 of an inch for quick steak sandwiches. They only take minutes on the grill. The others, I have cut about an inch or 1 1/2 inch thick for steaks for dinner. Give them a try, you might find that you like "fake steak" and its a lot cheaper than "real" steak.

Just thought I would share this with you.

Pam
    False