Theme ideas for potlucks | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Theme ideas for potlucks

Last post Mar 08, 2006 11:05 AM by Dawnzhere . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • Theme ideas for potlucks
    We have a monthly potluck lunch where I work and normally I'm the one in charge of getting the thing started, people signed up for dishes, etc.

I am SO bored with my old ideas. I've done this for years and it seems we keep repeating the same old ones....

Hot Dogs
    Tacos and Taco Salad
    Chili
    Spaghetti
    Pizza
    Superbowl Party (for the January theme)

Anybody have some new ideas for me??
    Dawn
    False
  • RE: Theme ideas for potlucks
    Hi Dawn~

You could do

Appetizers Only~A Little Dab'll Do Ya!

Keep the Vampires Away~A Garlic Lovers Dream Lunch!

For April Fool's or in April~CopyCat Recipes

A Tour of The Mediterrean~Greek, Spanish and Italian Recipes

Soul Food~A Taste of Real Home Cookin'

A Taste of The South

Just some ideas~Sometimes you can just rename it something catchy and it'll sound more fun :)

Amy
    False

Dawn, go to www.foodtv.com and find a show called Party Starters. Click on "view all episodes". That might give some theme ideas and what foods to go with it.

Nancy
    False

A room without books is like a body without a soul. - Cicero
    i used to cook at a moose lodge and would be in charge of what they called family foods nite on wed. would have to cook for 80 ppl or so every week. one of our best turn outs was for b-fast food.
    dorlisa
    False
    What about several types of soups with rolls. You could have 4-5 different types.
    Also salads are always great. Have everyone bring a salad. I also like the idea of appetizers.

One time I did an Italian theme. I had different people bring noodles. There were 3 kinds, spaghetti, tortelini, and corkscrew. Then I had people bring 3 kinds of sauces. Spahetti sauce, alfredo sauce and clam sauce. People also brought different toppings- like fresh grated parmesan cheese, chopped fresh tomatoes, fresh basil. We also did garlic bread and Italian sausages.
    False
    Soup and sandwiches
    Brunch items.
    False
    You could do an Irish lunch for St. Patrick's Day, a German lunch for an October luncheon, a Hawaiian luau for a summer lunch, etc. These work out well. Let th estaff 'dress' for the event and make little awards for most authentic costume, authentic dish, etc. This could be lots of fun! Trish
    False
    Picnic lunch day, little sandwiches, maybe sloppy joes one day?
    False
    We try to do a potluck every month w/my family.

Some that we have had:

Soups
    Casseroles
    Tailgate Party
    Christmas in July
    Brunch
    Mexican
    Italian
    Appetizers
    Salad Bar

Some that we are thinking of:

Dishes w/names of states/cities in them
    Pick a letter & make a dish starting w/that letter

Some more, but I can't remember now.

Good luck
    False
    We had a chili/soup contest today at work, and people who didn't want to enter, brought salads and desserts. It turned out really nice. We had fun voting, and the top 3, received a soup ladel. Everyone enjoyed it.
    False
    I like the monthly theme idea..
    St. Pats
    Easter
    Kentucky derby or Mothers day or Memorial day etc
    Graduation or fathers day
    4th of July Or a pool theme etc etc

or maybe some months by "event"
    March is the Oscars
    May is kentucky derby
    June , maybe a Nascar race
    July the ALlStar game etc etc

a food theme for the month...
    Asparagus dishes in April, corn In july etc etc or maybe even mix up the Holidays sometimes do Christmas in July and a luau in Dec!
    False
    How about green food for St. Pat's day? Green rice, salad's, jello, lime pie, entres on a bed of greens, etc.
    False
    My brain is still working. How about green pastas, made from spinach flour? OK, ok, I'm going, I'm going!
    False
    My family and I try to do potlucks at least once a month. Next weekend I'm doing a brunch potluck. Gonna be mostly breakfast things tho. I'm making overnight french toast. I don't know what others are bringing. One time we did brown bag lunches. Everyone made their favorite lunch (sandwich) which included snack and beveridge. Then we put the bags on the table and everyone had to pick one(not their own). We sure got some funny combos. We've had soup, appys, dessert, italian, Christmas in July(including regifted gifts, LOL). If I think of more I'll let you know. Have fun with it. We are going to do one that the hubby's must make the food, hmmm that sounds dangerous huh?
    False
    How about "If I were a Child Again?" and just do fun foods or things people remember loving in their childhood?

Also, how about "time" inspired food, such as food that was popular in the 50's, as well as "travel" food, food that is eaten in other parts of the US or the world.

Happy cooking!

Amy P from TN
    False