Joanne Fluke Fans- Ever try her recipes? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Joanne Fluke Fans- Ever try her recipes?

Last post Sep 21, 2012 5:45 PM by greyblues . 92 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 7 (93 items) 12345Last >
  • Joanne Fluke Fans- Ever try her recipes?
    I've just started reading Joanne Fluke books and I love them! So far I've only read 2- Fudge Cupcake Murder and Lemon Meringue Pie Murder.

Just wondering if anyone has tried the recipes in the books.

I know everytime I'm reading I want cookies! lol

Pip
    False
    Change the world by loving people!
  • RE: Joanne Fluke Fans- Ever try her recipes?
    Pip, I'm reading them now too. I've read Chocolate Chip Murder, Strawbery Shortcake Murder and right now I'm on Blueberry Muffin Murder. I've made The Cocoa snaps and Chocolate Chip Crunch cookies.

They always sound so good while I'm reading!!
    False
    I have tried several of them and so far...everything has been very good.
    I really loved the fudge cupcakes in the Fudge Cupcake Murder. The theme of the story was that these cupcakes had a secret ingredient and Hannah figures out what the secret is and then she gives you the recipe....yum!!
    False
    Thanks for this, I have wondered the same thing. I also just started reading her books. The strawberry shortcake sounds wonderful. I may try it one of these days.
    False
    I have always planned to make some of the recipes, but never have. A friend of mine made the Blueberry Muffins and said they were very good.
    False
    I have some copied to try, and I tried the Fudge Cupcakes. However, the recipe printed in the book is wrong, and everything ran over into the oven, fortunately self cleaning. I went to her website and the correction was posted. I tried them again, and they turned out yummy, especially if you really like chocolate, and the icing was plentiful. cj
    False
    I have read all of her books and in fact, sent an email to the address in the back of the last book, "Peach Cobbler Murder". I wanted to know if she was ever going to do a compilation cookbook. To my surprise, I actually heard from Joanne! She says she tries all the recipes - her husband is her taste tester. Oh, and she also mentioned that there were errors on a couple of her recipes. But now, for the life of me, I can't find the email to reference. You might want to visit her web site at www.murdershebaked.com

Peggy
    False
    I don't know where I downloaded these recipes so I thought I'll post them here since I can't tell y'all what the link is.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Apricot Bread Pudding

Recipe By :Joanne Fluke
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Strawberry Shortcake Murder

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    8 slices white bread -- either homemade or "store bought"
    1/2 cup melted butter
    1/3 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup chopped dried apricots -- not too fine you want some chunks
    3 beaten eggs -- just whip them up with a fork
    2 1/4 cups top milk -- * you can use light cream or Half 'n Half
    Heavy cream -- sweetened whipped cream, or vanilla ice cream for a topping

cont..
    False

Put On A Happy Face

Do not preheat oven yet. The bread pudding must settle for 30 minutes before baking.

Generously butter a 2-quart casserole. Remove the crusts from the bread and cut each slice into 4 triangles. (just make an 'X" with your knife.) Melt the butter in a large microwave-safe bowl and put in the bread triangles, tossing them lightly with a spoon until they're coated with butter.

Arrange approximately a third of the triangles in the bottom of the casserole. Sprinkle on a third of the sugar and half of the chopped apricots.
    Put down half of the remaining bread triangles, sprinkle on half of the remaining sugar, and add ALL of the remaining apricots.

Cover with the rest of the bread triangles. Scrape the bowl to get out any butter that remains in the bottom of the bowl and put that on top. Sprinkle with the last of the sugar and set aside.

Whip up the eggs in the butter bowl and whisk in the light cream. Pour this over the top of the casserole and let it stand at room temperature for thirty minutes. (This gives the bread time to absorb the egg and cream mixture.)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F., rack in the middle position. Bake the bread pudding uncovered, for 45 to 55 minutes, until the pudding is set and the top is golden brown.

Let it cool slightly (five minutes or so) and serve in dessert dishes with heavy cream, sweetened whipped cream, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the top.

Description:
    "You can make this with any dried fruit, including currants or raisins."
    False

Put On A Happy Face

Black and Whites

Categories : Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder

2 cups chocolate chips
    1/4 cup butter
    2 cups brown sugar -- (or white sugar with a scant 2 tablespoons molasses mixed in)
    4 eggs
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 cups flour -- (not sifted)
    approx. 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
    (powdered sugar) in a small bowl

cont..
    False

Put On A Happy Face

1. Melt chocolate chips with butter. (Microwave on high Power for 2 minutes, then stir until smooth.)

2. Mix in sugar and let cool. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in vanilla, baking powder, and salt. Add flour and mix well.

3. Chill dough for at least 4 hours. (Overnight is even better.)

4. When you're ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°, rack in the middle position.

5. Roll walnut-sized dough balls with your hands. (Messy--wear plastic gloves if you wish.)

6. Drop the dough balls into a bowl with the powdered sugar and roll them around until they're coated. (If the dough gets too warm, stick it back in the refrigerator until you can handle it again.)

7. Place the balls on a greased cookie sheet, 12 to a standard sheet. (They will flatten when they bake.) Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes. Let them cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes, and then remove to wire rack to finish cooling.

Description:
    "Do not preheat oven yet- dough must chill before baking."

Source:
    "Chocloate Chip Cookie Murder ISBN 1575665247"
    False

Put On A Happy Face

Blue Blueberry Muffins

Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Blueberry Muffin Murder

3/4 cup melted butter
    1 cup sugar
    2 beaten eggs -- (just whip them up with a fork)
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries -- (no need to thaw if they're frozen)
    1/2 cup blueberry pie filling
    2 cups unsifted flour
    1 tablespoon unsifted flour
    1/2 cup milk
    Crumb Topping
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/3 cup flour
    1/4 cup softened butter

cont..
    False

Put On A Happy Face

Preheat oven to 375°F, rack in the middle position

Grease the bottoms only of a 12-cup muffin pan (or line the cups with cupcake papers). Melt the butter. Mix in the sugar. Then add the beaten eggs, baking powder, and salt, and mix thoroughly.

Put one tablespoon of the flour in a plastic bag with your cup of fresh or frozen blueberries. Shake it gently to coat the blueberries, and leave them in the bag for now.

Add half the remaining two cups flour to your bowl and mix it in with half the milk. Then add the rest of the flour and milk and mix thoroughly.

Here comes the fun part- Add 1/2 cup blueberry pie filling to your bowl and mix it in. (Your dough will turn a shade of blue, but don't let that stop you-once the muffins are baked, they'll took just fine.) When your dough is thoroughly mixed, fold in the flour-coated fresh or frozen blueberries.

Fill the muffin tins three-quarters full and set them aside. If you have dough left over, grease the bottom of a small tea-bread loaf pan and fill it with your remaining dough.

The crumb topping: Mix the sugar and the flour in a small bowl. Add the softened butter and cut it in until it's crumbly. (You can also do this in a food processor with hard butter using the steel blade.)

Sprinkle the crumb topping over your muffins and bake them in a 375°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes. (The tea-bread should bake about 10 minutes longer than the muffins.)

While your muffins are baking, divide the rest of your blueberry pie filling into 1/2-cup portions and pop it in the freezer. I use paper cups to hold it and freeze them inside a freezer bag. All you have to do is thaw a cup the next time you want to make a batch of Blue Blueberry Muffins.

When your muffins are baked, set the muffin pan on a wire rack to cool for at least 30 minutes. (The muffins need to cool in the pan for easy removal.) Then just tip them out of the cups and enjoy.

Source:
    "Blueberry Muffin Murder Isbn #157566707x"
    False

Put On A Happy Face

NOTES : These are wonderful when tbey're slightly warm, but the blueberry flavor will intensify if you store them in a covered container overnight.
    Grandma Ingrid's muffin pans were large enough to bold all the dough from this recipe. My muffin tins are smaller, and I always make a loaf of Blue Blueberry tea bread with the leftover dougb. If I make it for Motber, I leave off the crumb topping. Sbe loves to eat it sliced, toasted, and buttered for breakfast.
    False

Put On A Happy Face

Chocolate Chip Crunch Cookies

Categories : Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder

1 cup butter -- melted
    1 cup white sugar
    1 cup brown sugar
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    2 beaten eggs -- (you can beat them up with a fork)
    2 1/2 cups flour -- (not sifted)
    2 cups crushed corn flakes -- (just crush them with your hands)
    1 cup chocolate chips -- (1 to 2)

1.Preheat oven to 375°F, rack in the middle position.

2. Melt butter, add the sugars and stir. Add soda, salt, vanilla, and beaten eggs. Mix well. Then add flour and stir it in. Add crushed corn flakes and chocolate chips and mix it all thoroughly.

3. Form dough into walnut-sized balls with your fingers and place on a greased cookie sheet, 12 to a standard sheet. Press them down with a floured or greased fork in a crisscross pattern (the same method as peanut butter cookies).

4. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes. Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes, then remove to a wire rack until they're completely cool. (The rack is important--it makes them crisp.)

Source:
    "Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder ISBN 1575665247"

NOTES: Use these at children's parties-everybody loves them !
    (These cookies have been Andrea's favorites since high school.)

False

Put On A Happy Face