I have never made corned beef...what does it taste like? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

I have never made corned beef...what does it taste like?

Last post Mar 17, 2006 7:00 PM by diddelydi . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • I have never made corned beef...what does it taste like?
    Does it taste like what you get from the deli counter? I saw them on sale last night and debated whether to buy one.
    False
  • RE: I have never made corned beef...what does it taste like?
    Quite salty and then spices like you would find with a sweet pickle or bread and butter pickle.
    False
    Mine is never salty but I don't use the spices either. Just a bayleaf. Has a wonderful mild flavor, something like the deli, but more moist. A real treat!
    False
    I think if you like the stuff from the deli counter you would definitely like the home cooked kind. It has a very nice seasoned flavor, kind of hard to describe, but yummy!
    False
    Better than deli because it is hot. First time I made it, DH thought it looked like ham and hated it. He had expected ham and it is nothing like that. We have it several times in the winter months. It is pickled beef, tastes lightly pickled, and when served hot, with cabbage and potatoes beside it, it is wonderful!
    False
    'A true friend is someone who knows you're a good egg even if you're a little cracked.'
    ChocolateQueen, let us know if you try it and like it on not.

I just put mine to boil about half an hour ago, we have to make two because every one in our family loves it and my dh likes sandwiches the next day.
    False
    Amy
    Corned beef doesn't deserve to have the word 'beef' in its name. I cannot even tolerate its odor! Husband loves it, though;, so he had a St. Pat's dinner and I had delicious roast beef leftovers!
    False
    Rinse before cooking to remove excess salt. Yummy, you need to try one. Spices aren't necessarily necessary. I like it both ways.
    False
    It does have its own unique taste. It does kind of look like ham but the spices give it a different flavor. I guess I would suggest trying a bit of the deli but a regular dinner would be better. Maybe you will have a chance to try it at someone else's home of a bit off someone elses plate just to sample it. It is strange. I enjoy it but wouldn't want it every week.

I have tried the deli version & was disappointed in the flavor. Just not as good as the meal from someones home.

Diane
    False

Diane