What recipe do you use when making chili? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What recipe do you use when making chili?

Last post Mar 19, 2006 1:30 AM by MTCathy . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • What recipe do you use when making chili?
    TIA
    False
  • RE: What recipe do you use when making chili?
    CHILI

1½ lbs. ground beef (80% lean)
    1-14½ oz. can dark red kidney beans (undrained)
    1-14½ oz. can pinto beans (undrained)
    1-14½ oz. can red beans (undrained)
    1-14½ oz. can chili beans (undrained)
    1-14½ oz. can great northern beans (undrained)
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. pepper
    3-4 large slices onion (diced)
    1-11½ oz. can tomato juice or more juice if needed
    3 Tbls. chili powder or more to your preference (we usually use more than this)
    1-quart tomatoes
    1-14 ½ oz. can Zesty Del Monte Chunky Style Chili tomatoes (optional)

Brown ground beef and onion and then drain. Add salt, pepper and chili powder. Simmer 15 minutes and then add all the beans, tomatoes and tomato juice. Let simmer on low for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.

This is a recipe I came up with. It`s a little of my mom`s and a little of mine. It hit’s the spot on a cold winter day.

Cookiedough

False

False
    REAL CHILI

If you're into chili, you know there are long-standing arguments about whether chili has beans or is beans, about whether or not to add whole or chopped tomatoes. Personally, I'm on the side of chili being meat and no beans. And if you even try to put tomatoes in it(aside from juice), I may have to hurt you! Actually, even the juice is a deviation from true chili, but I like the little extra something the V-8 juice gives it. For an experiment, mix all the ingredients EXCEPT the juice. See? Chili is red without adding tomatoes. Now taste it and you decide whether to put in the juice.
    Anyway, here's my T&T recipe for chili.

1 lb coarse ground beef (not lean)
    2 onions, chopped
    1 can V-8 juice (the regular size can)
    3 ounces chili powder (yes, the WHOLE jar!)
    1 t cumin
    1 t cayenne
    1/2 t pepper
    1 T sugar
    3 T paprika
    2 T cocoa
    1 to 10 garlic cloves (as desired-I use 3)
    Salt to taste
    Water

Mix all ingredients. Add water as desired. Adjust spices if needed.
    Simmer 5 hours (or put in crock pot).

False
    Everyone LOVES my chili. The secret is adding sausage as well as hamburger. I don't make mine really spicy because I don't like it that way, but I spice it up for my Dad by adding hot peppers and making sure a bottle of Tobasco is on the table.

Amy's Chili
    1 to 1 ½ lbs hamburger meat
    ½ lb mild sausage
    2/3 large onion, chopped
    2 cans (15 oz each) diced tomatoes (you can use 2 cans of ro-tel instead)
    1 15 oz can tomato sauce
    1 15 oz can black beans
    1 15 oz can chili hot beans
    1 15 oz can pinto beans
    1 15 oz can dark red kidney beans
    2 envelopes taco seasoning mix

Brown hamburger and sausage in microwave, stirring at 5 minute intervals. Meanwhile, combine beans, tomatoes, sauce and seasoning in 5 qt crock pot. Add ½ can water to can previously containing tomato sauce, rinse and add to crock pot. When meat is browned,
    Remove with slotted spoon from grease and add to crock pot. Put onion in glass bowl. Spray with nonstick cooking spray and put in microwave for 90 seconds. Add to crock pot. Simmer on low approximately 2 hours or until warmed through.

Amy P from TN
    False
    Funny you should ask, I just made chili today in fact.

I always used hamburger meat in my chili until last month when I bought a small roast on sale at the store. After I got home I thought, what am I going to do with this roast, we aren't big roast eaters. So I cut it up, put some salt and pepper on it and fryed it in a pan, added some water covered the pan and let it cook for about 30 minutes, it was very tender. I added two cans of chili beans with their sauce and one can of rotel tomatoes. Oh my gosh, my DH loved it, he really liked the big chuncks of meat in the chile and the rotel tomatoes made it a little spicy.

So today I did the same thing, but bought a chunck of round steak that was on sale, it was the same price as the hamburger. I did have to cook it a little longer than 30 minutes to get the meat tender, then added some sauted onions and celery with the beans and rotel tomatoes.
    False
    Posted by: KC10 Replies: 10 Posted on: 3/13/2006 1:44:13 PM
    I have a SIL who has some very definite opinions about "good" food and "not good" food! lol She's always and forever looking for recipes, trying them and many times working them until coming up with her own "better" version!! Her DH, my DB, both love to cook and they spend lots of time working on recipes together. This is one my brother came up with and my SIL tweaked a bit!! They both agree it is one of the best chili recipes they've tried. And my DH and I absolutely agree!! Maybe you will too?:O) Enjoy!!!

"Anne-Approved" Chili

1 lb. hamburger
    1 lb. steak, diced small
    lrg. onion, diced
    1 lrg. can V-8 juice
    1 (12 oz.) can tomato paste
    1 (24 oz.) Pace Picanté® Sauce, medium
    *6 oz. LaVictoria® Garden Taco Sauce, mild
    1/2 doz. slices of jalapeño slices or pepper rings
    3 Tb. juice from the jalapeños
    2 green peppers, diced
    6 tsp. chili powder
    2 tsp. cajun seasoning
    1 tsp. cumin
    1 Tb. salt
    1 tsp. black pepper
    1 can light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    1 can garbanzo beans, drained
    1 can Van Kamp's® pork 'n beans
    1 medium carrot, grated

Cut steak into dime-size chunks, void of fat. Dice onion. Together with the hamburger, brown in large skillet and then drain.
    Place all the ingredients in a 6qt.•• crock pot. Stir together and cook on low heat overnight. The longer it cooks, the better it will be!!
    Serve with sour cream and cheddar cheese.

Kay says - *We don't have LaVictoria® Garden Taco Sauce available here, so I just used Ortega and it was just fine.
    **My crock pot is only a 5 qt. and I thought I was going to be ok using it. I was wrong. Since I don't have a 6 qt., I did mine in a 6 qt. Dutch oven on top of the stove and cooked it on low all day. That pot was plenty full, but it worked great! It made the whole house smell wonderful!! I've been looking for a great chili recipe for years. I think I finally found it!! Thanks to my brother and his lovely bride!!!!:O)
    False

I think I have posted a couple different recipes for chili but I have found that this is about the easiest. And I like this one the best out of all the ways I have tried it.

Cathys Chili with home made noodles

1 lb hamburger
    1 medium onion - chopped
    4 cloves of garlic - chopped
    6 stalks of celery - sliced
    1 green bell pepper - chopped
    2 thumb size jalepenos - sliced (optional)
    1-46 oz. can V8 juice (2qt.?)
    1-28 oz. can of chopped tomatos
    1-28 oz. can of tomato sauce
    1-12 oz. can of tomato paste
    4 Tablespoons chili seasoning (tweekable) :o)
    4 cups water - optional

Brown the first 6 ingredients, then drain fat from hamburger. Ad remaining ingredients and simmer for about an hour or two.
    Note,,,my family likes our chili kind of soupy so I usually ad about 4 cups of water.

Dads Homemade Noodles

4 eggs
    1 Tablespoon of salt
    milk
    3 cups of AP flour (about)
    In a bowl wisk together eggs, salt and milk. I have never measured the milk, I just ad the same amount like I would be making scrambled eggs. Then start by adding half of the flour and then keep adding until your dough looks kind of like pie crust. I guess it all depends on how you like your noodles. My family likes them kinda hard, almost like hard dumpling dough.
    Then roll out dough to 1/4 inch and cut into strips, then cut strips into shorter pieces. Then drop into boiling chili for about 10 minutes.

We usually eat ours over cornbread, then top with sour cream, sliced green onion or chopped fresh sweet onion. And maybe some grated cheddar.

False