Substitute for Worcestershire sauce?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Substitute for Worcestershire sauce??

Last post Nov 14, 2009 2:37 PM by dreyfuss . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Substitute for Worcestershire sauce??
    Is there any easy, somewhat common ingredient that can be used for Worcestershire sauce? I have found several websites that give me a recipe for making my own Worcestershire sauce, but nothing that might be used as a substitute.

I am trying to mix up a marinade for a chuck steak. The recipe calls for Worcestershire sauce and I am out. I probably will just have to run to the store.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
    False
  • RE: Substitute for Worcestershire sauce??
    Would soy sauce work? If it's not a large amount I'd probably just leave it out.
    False
    Change the world by loving people!
    Wouldn't a little bit of HP sauce work? They are both sharp in taste.
    Marlene
    False
    I'm with Pip.......I LOVE soy sauce as a steak marinade. It doesnt taste like worcestershire sauce but it's a darn good steak marinade
    False
    I decided to go ahead and use soy sauce. It might not taste the same, but we will get a general idea weather we like the recipe or not.

Here is what I am making for dinner.

BBQ Beef Chuck Steak
    from beefitswhatsfordinner.com

Ingredients:
    1 beef chuck 7-bone steak, cut 3/4 to 1 inch thick (about 2 pounds)

Marinade:
    1 cup finely chopped onion
    1 cup ketchup
    1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    1/3 cup red wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

Instructions:
    1. Combine marinade ingredients in medium bowl. Place beef steak and 1 cup marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight, turning occasionally. Refrigerate remaining marinade.
    2. Remove steak; discard marinade. Place steak on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, uncovered, 15 to 18 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally.
    3. Place remaining marinade in small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until sauce consistency, stirring occasionally.
    4. Cut steak into serving-size pieces. Serve with sauce.
    False
    Soy sauce is good in steak marinade.
    False
    Copied your recipe to try. Sounds good. I've been grilling for 45 years and the only thing I ever have trouble with is chuck steak.

My only real success with it is to marinate it overnight in Italian dressing - even the cheap stuff.

Either throw out the marinade or boil it for 3 or 4 minutes, then serve it as a dip for the meat or pour a little over the meat.

Ed
    False
  • Re: RE: Substitute for Worcestershire sauce??

Hi, what is HP sauce ?

False

alexandra1
    Hi, what is HP sauce ?

I'd like to know too, please...

False
    Stimpy Click for Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin Forecast

HP is the British and Canadian version of a steak sauce. Similiar maybe to A-1.  Both my son and DH love HP.  I do notice that a few stores here in the states carry it but it is really pricey here.

False