Ham cooked in brown paper bag | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Ham cooked in brown paper bag

Last post Apr 09, 2006 8:14 PM by TexasroseII . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • Ham cooked in brown paper bag
    Anyone know how to cook a ham in a brown paper bag? If you have the recipe I would appreciate it very much.

Jo
    False
  • RE: Ham cooked in brown paper bag
    I've heard of that, but I don't think it is a good way to do it anymore because of safety issues.

COOKING IN BROWN PAPER BAGS

Do not use brown paper bags from grocery or other stores for cooking. They are not sanitary, may cause a fire, and can emit toxic fumes. Intense heat may cause a bag to ignite, causing a fire in the oven and possibly adulterating the turkey. The ink, glue, and recycled materials in paper bags can emit toxic fumes when they are exposed to heat. Instead, use purchased oven cooking bags.

Overnight Slow Cooking:
    This method is very dangerous because cooking overnight for 12 to 14 hours at a temperature of about 200°F, allows harmful bacteria to grow rapidly.

Brown Paper Bag:
    Meat placed in a large brown shopping bag and cooked for a long period at a low temperature is extremely unsafe because the low cooking temperature allows bacteria to multiply rapidly. The paper bag is poor choice for use as a cooking vessel because the glue and ink that are used when the bag is manufactured may be toxic when heated and combined with food.
    False
    Years ago we used to cook a turkey like that and they were great but now they don't recommend using these bags so I don't think you would want to try it. sorry ~

pegg
    False

pegg

I have always cooked my ham in a brown paper bag. 325 degrees Keeps it moist.
    False
    I don't know anything about cooking in brown bags, but if there's a question about the safety of it and you still want a really moist ham, how about using a Reynold's oven bag which is made just for this sort of thing? Just a thought. Here's their website address for other recipes:
    http://www.reynoldskitchens.com/reynoldskitchens/kitchenconnection/Search/results3.asp

Holiday Ham (Half Ham)

1 ReynoldsÒ Oven Bag, Large Size
    1 tablespoon flour
    8 to 10 pound fully-cooked ham half, bone-in
    Whole cloves

PREHEAT oven to 325°F.

SHAKE flour in Reynolds Oven Bag; place in roasting pan at least 2 inches deep. Trim skin and fat from ham, leaving a thin layer of fat. Lightly score surface of ham in a diamond pattern; insert cloves.

PLACE ham in oven bag.

CLOSE oven bag with nylon tie; cut six 1/2-inch slits in top. Insert meat thermometer through slit in bag into thickest part of ham, not touching bone. Tuck ends of bag in pan.

BAKE 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until meat thermometer reads 140°F. Let stand in oven bag 15 minutes.

False