Question about Cauliflower | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Question about Cauliflower

Last post Apr 13, 2006 10:44 PM by alot2luv . 3 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
  • Question about Cauliflower
    I have a question about cauliflower. When cauliflower starts to turn and gets that brown/black stuff on the top of it, is that mold or is it still okay to eat? I always think it's mold so I throw it away. What's the real story?

Carrie
    False
    Attitudes are contagious; is yours worth catching? Anybody can be good without God, but nobody can be saved without Jesus.
  • RE: Question about Cauliflower
    Avoid cauliflower that has brown or black speckling on the florets. This is a sign of age, although the offending spots can be sliced away before cooking.
    False

Brown spots on cauliflower curds may be bruising, but could also be mold.

The Baylor Nutritional Center says:

It is safe to pare away the mold from hard or firm foods like Swiss and cheddar cheeses, bell peppers, cabbage, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, garlic, onion, zucchini, potatoes, apples and pears. Before eating, carve away at least one inch around the moldy area. Avoid letting the knife touch the affected area to prevent the mold from spreading. Use salvaged portions as soon as possible.
    False
    Thank you.
    False
    Attitudes are contagious; is yours worth catching? Anybody can be good without God, but nobody can be saved without Jesus.