Baking empty pie crust | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Baking empty pie crust

Last post Apr 20, 2006 11:35 AM by KY_Kate . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Baking empty pie crust
    Please tell me how you bake your empty pie crust to keep it from bubbling & rising.
    Barb
    False
  • RE: Baking empty pie crust
    I hate Minute rice, so what I did not use out of the box I bought, I keep in a plastic container on the shelf. When I bake shells, I put a piece of parchment paper or aluminum foil in the bottom of the pie shell and put the raw rice in to use it as a weight.
    False
    Prick it all over with a fork. Never had a problem in all my 50 yrs of baking.
    False
    I prick it all over with a fork before putting in the oven but it still can bubble up. You need weights of some sort. I hate lima beans so I bought dried limas to spread on the bottom of the crust. Any dried bean will work,
    Marlene
    False
    First, I ease the crust into the pan, being careful not to stretch it at all. Crimp the edge. Freeze for about 15 minutes or so.

Prick all over.

Place a piece of parchment in the crust, and add pie weights or beans.

Bake 10-12 minutes. Remove the paper and weights, bake until golden--another 5-8 minutes. Works beautifully every time.
    False
    Thank you all very much. I knew I needed to put something in it but I didn't know what. I think I have some old rice I can use. I also didn't know if I should still prick it all over if weighing it down. I think I have my answer. You gals are great.
    Barb
    False
    Don't stretch your crust when putting it in the pan either.
    I love lima beans....I use pinto beans and have used the same beans for years. I'd love to have one of those little bead-like necklaces to use instead of my beans. I don't want the loose balls, too much trouble to pick up all of them, I want them strung together. But since they cost $12-15 dollars, my beans will do.
    False
    Beans do work great, and that is what I used for years. I found a really good deal on pie weights, and I use those now. They work really well.

If you aren't going to use any of the above, just prick your crust with a fork as Cardinal Puff suggested. I have found that they can still start to hump up. If that happens, just open the oven door and gently prick in the middle of the hump, and it will deflate provided you do it when it starts.

KY Kate
    False