Renal Friendly Recipes | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Renal Friendly Recipes

Last post Sep 28, 2010 4:43 PM by arnietrinie . 19 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 12
  • Renal Friendly Recipes
    Hi, I am a 35 year old wife and mother of 3 terrific boys. I was diagnosed with renal (kidney) failure two years ago. My diet was greatly restricted at this point, as I have to watch my potassium, phospherous and sodium intake. I love to cook, and I love food. I am finding it very difficult to create meals that are healthy for me to eat, without compromising taste, and without having to make something different for the rest of my family. If anyone can help get me back into the kitchen to do what I love, I would really appreciate it.
    False
  • RE: Renal Friendly Recipes
    Hi-

My brother was on dialysis for awile before my dad gave him a kidney. I don't recall him having a different diet though. Although, I wasn't living with him at the time. I will ask him tonight and get back to you. Hopefully with some recipes for you too. :)

Welcome to the BB.

Shannon
    False
    Now that I think about it, he never really ate anything. It was about 10 years ago now and he is doing so well now that those memories are being overshadowed by food and recipes. LOL
    He was too tired to eat.
    False
    Oh, I do feel for you! I feel so bad for renal failure patients; it's such a restricted diet. Have you asked your doctor to get you in touch with a dietician or nutritionist? I'm sure they'd have some good ideas for you!
    False
    "If I have ventured wrongly, very well, life then helps me with its penalty. But if I haven't ventured at all, who helps me then?"
    http://www.davita.com/recipes/

http://www.kidney.org/atoz/atozItem.cfm?id=89

http://www.kidney.ab.ca/kitchen/recipes.html

http://www.kidneyoptions.com/dietnutrition.html

False
    "If I have ventured wrongly, very well, life then helps me with its penalty. But if I haven't ventured at all, who helps me then?"
    Ok, I asked my brother and he said he lived on Taco Bell Tostadas........ He still lives on them and other fast food!! Thats probably why I didn't notice a change in his diet. I know, that doesn't help you. But I was able to look up some sites on the internet with recipes. I googled: renal failure recipes
    and alot of things came up. I hope you find some recipes and the energy to cook. Where do you live?

Shannon
    False

granola, i dont know how you have been about to survive two years on a renal diet with a professional dietian's assistance ... God bless you.

I was on the strict renal diet and lost 12 to 15 pounds in about a month and my body was so weak and shakey... well you know the whole ball of wax.

The renal dietian gave me a phamplet of what i could eat and what i couldnt eat. Between you and the thousands that read this .... hoenstly i didnt even know 3/4 of the stuff I could eat.

Its funy that one person said the brother lived on taco bell Tostadas........ wellI lived on puffy taco shells with the meat. my heart dr. said i had to have the meat.

The renal dietian i had first was totally hopeles so my heart dr. gave me the name of another. she would cost 50 for a three hour session but was to give recipes and all one needed to know.

they did find out that my renal failure was from vitamin supplements i was taking to fight the lupus. so off the supplements . my potassium level became better but I still have to be very careful what I eat but Praise the Lord I am not on the horrid strict diet.

Which level of renal failure are you sweetie?

Hugs and prayers, and I will send to this threadwhat recipes I can. but i sure do wish you you would look out a renal dietitian.

False
    °º·¤.¸¯`°º·¤.¸¯`°º·¤.¸ ♥ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°
    ~~ CELEBRATE YOUR FREEDOM
    AND THANK AN AMERICAN SOLDIER!!! ~~
    ¸.¤·º°´¯ ♥ ¯`°º·¤. ♥♥~♥♥¸.¤·º°´¯ ♥ ¯`°º·¤.
    ¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ♥ ¯`°º·¤. ¸¯`°º·¤. ¸¯`°

I am ZERO help in this area, sorry! I DO wish you all the best -- I hope you find some answers!

Welcome to the taste of home board -- best people on the net!!

LindaChicken ~ waving from Oklahoma!

{{Granny}}

False

Photobucket

I have a kidney disease, too.

I remember my dad's renal diet. It was strict - we were all on his diet I guess that was easier for mom to serve.

I remember very, very low sodium.

Very little protein.

Only hard candies allowed.

On the "OKAY" list were cranberry sauce, Cool Whip, and Jello.

He was the longest at-home dialysis patient in our state at the time (I thimk it was 16 years). My mom put him on the machine three times a week. She was either cleaning it or running him on it.

Anyhoo, what kind of kidney dis. do you have?

Good luck, and remember that what you put through your body, you also put through your kidneys. Treat them kindly, okay gal?

You'll be fine, and I'll add you to my prayers, if that is alright with you.

Angie
    False
    bumping for help for Granola.
    False
    Thanks to everyone who responded. I was having a crappy day today (feeling pretty tired). It's nice to know there are others out there that I can talk to who understand exactly what I'm going through. I live in the Guelph, Ont. area. I have a terrific nephrologist. He and his team of doctors and nurses have been really great. When I was diagnosed, I had already lost about 75% of my kidney function. I currenly have about 5-10%. To date they do not know the cause of my kidney failure, and probably never will. I recently started taking intervenous iron injections, on top of the three iron pills a day I'm already taking. I hope it starts to work fast, I'm so tired. There are also days when I am feeling too ill to eat. My dietitian has been great in showing me the foods I can an cannot eat, however, she has no resources for actual recipes. I am currently doing peritoneal dialysis at home, five times a day. This was recently increased from four times a day. I just want to be able to open up a book and prepare a meal, rather than have to figure it out for myself, as I'm just to tired to think most days. Anyway thanks again to all, sorry for rambling. Please keep it touch, your thoughts and prayers help.
    False

oh honey bless your heart you are probably at stage five bless your heart.

I understand the tiredness. i assume there is no one to help you at home like a chef, live in maid, housekeeper, masseuse and nanny? now hope you are at least laughing.

boy do i understand the need for renal diet recipes .... it is totally ridiculous how one with the failure has to 'create' their own recipes... it is such added stress.

we need to know what you are allowed to eat and of that what you will eat. on my list there were names of foods i had never even heard of.

Can u have meats? what veggies, fruits, etc. i am so sorry your dietitian doesnt have any recipes for you either.

hope the iron works quickly for you.
    hugs and prayers, granny
    False

False

Hi, my husband was on hemodialysis for the last 14 months of his life for four hours a day three days a week. I went to the davita site that someone posted already and got lots of recipes, but if you go to culinary kidney cooks (URL below) they have a Recipe of the Week that you can click on and they are usually pretty good. They tell you the portion and nutritional value, etc. Makes it a bit easier. My husband was also diabetic so it complicated matters with the diet. I just know how exausted dialysis makes you feel. God Bless you hon.

http://www.culinarykidneycooks.com/

Hugs,
    ~Jan~
    False

SCSG Jan blue eyed mouse siggy

~~The most important things in life aren't things!~~ 

Hi! Welcome to the board. My husband, like you, had renal failure that they call Idiopathic or no known cause. He had a transplant 5 years ago and is doing great now. I know that he had to be low sodium, low potassium, low phosphorus. They had him take some binders (tums) with his meals to absorb phosphorus. Be sure to check with your MD, though. That may not be the practice anymore. My husband is the same age as you. He hung on and never got dialysis, although he was down to about 10% function probably. He also received injections to build his red blood cells. He was very lucky to not get real sick before he got his transplant. He was a hard man to keep on a diet too, because he loves to eat and loves meat and milk!

I never really had certain recipes, just tried to avoid certain foods, and fix his meat dishes with half the amount I used to use. Tried to use the meat more as a garnish.
    Good luck to you.

Terri
    False