What is your secret to making a cake mix really moist? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What is your secret to making a cake mix really moist?

Last post Jul 25, 2007 5:21 PM by Sugan_n_Spice . 51 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 4 (52 items) 1234
  • What is your secret to making a cake mix really moist?
    A friend of mine told me to add an extra egg and replace the water with whole milk. I have not tried it yet. I love the wedding cakes that taste like heaven and are melt in your mouth moist. What are your secrets for a real moist cake? Thanks!
    False
  • RE: What is your secret to making a cake mix really moist?
    I use milk in place of water. everything stays the same(amount of eggs and oil)
    False
    I add an extra egg andabout three tablespoons of butter in addition to the oil. It comes out very rich.

Hedgie
    False
    Add 1/2 c mayo to the normal recipe.
    False
    DONT OVER BAKE IT...i always set my timer l0 less and start watch it like a hawk...
    False
    Sour cream or buttermilk make a moist cake. Sometimes we use yogurt. Try using some kind of milk instead of the water that a lot of mixes call for, and real butter in place of oil. Also, I always use at least 1 pkg.(4 serving size) of instant pudding and pie filling even if the cake mix contains it, and even if the recipe doesn't call for it. All of those things help make a better cake.
    False
    MaryK.
    I always do this to mine. I do this for birthday cakes and for cakes to take to church for funerals. Everyone always asks how I get such a soft and high cake!!

1 cake mix
    1 box instant pudding that compliments flavor such as:
    Chocolate cake - chocolate pudding
    lemon cake - lemon pudding
    orange cake - vanilla pudding
    etc.
    4 eggs
    1/2 cup oil
    1 cup water
    Bake cake as directions on the box say
    False
    I love reading all of the ideas from all over the country. Thanks so much for your replys!
    False
    Nannahintx, Wow, that is very interesting. I wonder what the hot water does? I'll have to give it a try.
    False
    Buy a good quality mix to start. I find store brands aren't consistent. I uase Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines, and follow the directions on the box . I've always had good results
    False
    Those are the only two brands that I ever buy. I really like Duncan Hines! There is a man here in town that makes wedding and birthday cakes that are super moist and he will only use the Duncan Hines brand if cake mixes. He doctors them up and out comes a fantastic, soft, moist cake. I wish I knew his secret. MMMMMM they are so tasty and moist.
    False
    Bumping for more of your hints.
    False
    I don't like some of the national brands..I use aldi cake mixes and they are great!
    It's so interesting how we all differ in our preferences...the spice of life as they say!
    False
    I've made all kinds of cakes from scratch to mixes, the only mix I will buy is Duncan Hines, the recipe to make wedding cakes is inside the box. Also I will put a tablespoon or 2 of Miricle Whip in mine, almost always in scratch recipes. Also make sure your eggs are at room temp. to start.
    Dee
    False
    I use three whole eggs in the white cake mix recipe unless making it for a wedding. The whole eggs makes the cake moister.It will raiser higher also. I only use Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker. It is hard to beat a scratch chocolate cake for mositness.
    False