OT:What's the best thing to do for a cold sore? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

OT:What's the best thing to do for a cold sore?

Last post Feb 04, 2004 4:39 PM by oeg1kallee . 19 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 12
  • OT:What's the best thing to do for a cold sore?
    Help! I woke up with a cold sore. What should I do for it?
    False

• RE: OT:What's the best thing to do for a cold sore?
    i got some great stuff from - my dentist! Awhile back, I went in for a cleaning and had one them buggers, he gave me a sample from the office and I really like it.
    It's called: Zilactin-L
    Its liquid, you put a small amount on a Q-tip and apply to your sore, 3-4 times a day, it stings for a little bit, but it really cleared it up fast.
    This is what the label says:
    Lip Sores, Cold Sores and Fever Blisters. Medicated Liquid with Numbing Ingredient.

Hope this helps.

Patti
    False

photo autumnthymepatti_163.gif

Go to a dermatologist and get the cream that makes them go away almost over night. The cream will last you through dozens of outbreaks.

DD was told to wash and scrub the blister down to the skin and keep it that clean. She said it hurt to do that but it worked to keep the blister from looking so gross during her work day. The cream the Dr. gave her is the best I have seen to work so fast. New ways of treating fever blisters as ugly instead of just something to bear are available now.
    False
    Thanks for the help. I'll see what the doctor can do for me. Have a great day!
    False

Carmex in the little round pot from any drug store works great for us.
    False
    The Zilactin works great for getting rid of them fast. If you will start taking one 500 mg tablet of L-Lysine every day from now on, you will never have another one. For that matter, if you will take 3-4 a day now, the one you have will clear up faster. I had reached the point where I had them just about all the time. My dentist told me about this and I have not had another one in about 8 years. It really does work.
    Sierra
    False
    Stop eating anything with chocolate, nuts or gelatin in it until the cold sore is gone.

Chefly
    False
    There is an over the counter med out called Abreva made only for cold sores. The FDA approved it a couple years ago. It used to be prescription. It does a good job of getting rid of the nasty old things. Any drug store should have it. I have a big one the size of almost a dime that popped out yesterday just under my bottom lip. I started putting the Abreva on last night when I got home. It is looking much better now on the second day. Try it. It's easier and cheaper than going to the doctor. Good luck. Carole
    False
    When it clears up, change your toothbrush (or bleach it) because you can re-infect yourself.
    False
    We use camphor spirits. It can be found at any pharmacy (I get it at RiteAid). Tiny bottle goes a long, long way!! Dab a little on, 3-4 times a day. Works like a charm!! :)
    False
    I have used many many things over the years including a $30.00 prescription in a teeny weeny tube that I lost right away. But the thing that works best for me I found by accident. It is just a tube of Medicated Chap Stick I got for my irritated chapped lips and noticed when I was starting to get a cold sore it went right away. So I have been using it ever since. And it only costs $1.69 or something like that.
    ~~Leisa~~
    False
    Move to Florida!!!! LOL My mother was plagued all her life with recurring cold sores - then she moved to Florida 20 years ago and hasn't had one since!

I'm ready to move to Florida, too, but it has nothing to do with cold sores!
    False
    To speak of "mere words" is much like speaking of "mere dynamite." --------French Philosopher CJ Ducasse
    Campho-phenique
    It comes in a little yellow tube and is a gel.
    On the tube it says "Orginal cold sore gel"
    You can fine it most anywhere. Drug store- grocery store-convenience store Its not expensive and it works. It does sting for just a moment but a time or two and that cold sore or even a pimple is history.

Nancy
    False
    I get fever blisters all the time and always have since I was a kid.
    Reading through some of the answers there are a few I would not do.
    My dermatologist told me NOT to use any camphor product, it is too strong and does more harm to the skin than good.
    Do not scrub the infected area. Once a scab forms simply apply a warm wet cloth to the area to soften the scab and apply Rx once it is soft.
    The absolute best Rx that I have used for over 10 years is Zovirax. It is very expensive but, one tube lasts several years.
    If you don't get fever blisters very often I would just use something over the counter and take L-lysine as much as possible.
    B

False
    Buy yourself some lysine. It's with the vitamens at Wal-Mart or any drugstore. When your first feel the tingling of a cold sore coming on, take about four and then get an ice cube and press it against the cold sore. It seem's to nip the thing in the bud and the sore does not seem to get as big. Then, for the next few days continue to take the lysine. My father-in-law told me about the Lysine and I read the ice cube cure in a magazine. Type Lysine in your search engine and see what comes up. It says that Lysine may reduce the herpes simplex virus infection and that is what a cold sore is.
    False