Fireman's BBQ Sauce | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Fireman's BBQ Sauce

Last post May 18, 2006 10:11 PM by mehall . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Fireman's BBQ Sauce
    I'm sure everyone here has this recipe but I always get calls for it at this time of the year and thought I'd post it. Probably goes by other names elsewhere but here in upstate NY when I was a kid all the different fire departments used this for their summer chicken bbq fundraisers.

1 beaten egg
    add 1 c oil and beat again
    add 2 c white vinegar
    3 T poultry seasoning
    3 t salt
    1 T pepper
    beat again to combine thoroughly

I use a whisk and sometimes marinate the chicken in the sauce overnight.
    False
  • RE: Fireman's BBQ Sauce
    Hi,
    I am from UPSTATE NY & the sauce I use for our BBQ's is the Cornell Sauce,
    Your's is very similar but instead of white vinegar we use cider vinegar.
    I have the recipe in ALL sizes-from 10 halves to 100 halves.
    Marie
    False
    This recipe, like so many others, calls for "poultry seasoning." OK, I'm a man and not an experienced cook,
    BUT can you ladies not be more specific?

I have tried at least a dozen different "poultry seasonings" over the years - some quite similar, yes, yet ALL somewhat different! My point - each of these would give a different, unique taste to whatever recipe in which it was used. Wouldn't I, therefore, get different results with each different "poultry seasoning" I used?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't give out recipes with "general" ingredients. I try to be very specific - especially in terms of seasonings - to assure that the recipe the recipient makes is as close as possible to what I (and they) expect it to be.

Does this make any sense? I am not being critical, just wondering. If 20 people make a recipe with 20 different "poultry seasonings," I can't help but believe they are going to get 20 different results. I'm puzzled, I guess, because most of you ladies want your recipes to stand out, to be very good, to be appreciated, etc. Why then, would different (tasting) results - due to different seasonings - not be an issue? Am I missing something?

Ed
    False
    Star,

Thanks for your response. This is one that we've tried over the years. I would have to say that it's no better (nor worse, lol) than any of the others.

I guess I was making a plea for uniformity. If that's the seasoning used, so be it - but, so SAY it. I will probably buy some and try using it - thinking of it as a "generic" or commonly-used poultry seasoning. It may well be "the" one to which various posters have referred.

I knew all of those ingedients, except nutmeg, as common to poultry seasonings. I like to "tinker" in the kitchen; and may just experiment a bit with those on some of the 48 # of chicken breasts I bought two weeks ago.

As an aside, I use spices from a number of companies, as I'm sure you do. If friends are over and I serve a potato dish, for example, that they really enjoy, I'd tell them specificaly that I'd used "Bridgeport Seasoning" from The Spice House. Otherwise, they couldn't really re-create it.

Again, thanks for your input. Will program brain to translate "poultry seasoning" to "McCormick's."

Ed
    False
    I bumped up the Cornell BBQ sauce, and a post about Robert Baker who developed it. He died this year at 84, and was a professor in the Poultry Dept. at Cornell.
    Amy
    False
    Ed, a lot of us are not as picky spice wise. I know I am not. When I am out I buy whatever. So if I was to give you a recipe I could not name the specific brand of spice. Unless they are very unique I don't think there is much difference. JMHO Karen
    False
    To everything there is a Time, Season and Purpose
    Karen,

I see what you are saying. My late wife and I were probably in the tiny minority - we liked dishes with a distinct "special" flavor.

She didn't write down recipes, keeping them in her head instead. It always amazed me that a given dish would taste the same time after time.

There were a couple occasions, however, when she ran out of an ingredient and substituted for it. Each time she, I, and our kids could definely tell the difference.

I had another experience that makes me picky: aout 10 years ago I gave a good friend a fish-breading recipe in which I included "Fish Seasoning."
    He complained a few days later that when he'd made it for his in-laws it was just so-so. Turns out, he'd bought some "Fish Seasoning" from a local store (same name - different brand) while mine had been ordered from a sporting goods store. The 2 teaspoons of his was considerably different from mine. I just hadn't thought about it at the time.

Finally, I have used a smoker for over 40 years. I use over a dozen different woods - plus many, many combinations of them. I learned, early on, to keep notes recording the results according not only to the food smoked, but also to the wood(s)
    used. Tiny, but critical, example:
    adding 1 part hard maple to 4 parts hickory makes a world of difference in salmon as opposed to using hickory alone - everyone who tasted it preferred the maple additive.

As I wrote to Star - now that I know what is probably meant by "Poultry Seasoning," I'll buy some McCormicks and use it in recipes I want to try.

Ed
    False
    John I understand. Some recipes really do matter but with most it doesn't seem to matter. Thanks for the idea though.
    False
    To everything there is a Time, Season and Purpose
    I AM TRYING THIS, BUT I did have to chuckle when I went to the website Star provided. The info below is taken directly from that site. The quotation marks are mine. Is it only me, or does anyone else see a bit of irony (maybe even humor) in "especially designed for poultry" and the myriad other uses? Just HOW special is it for poultry? LOL

Ed
    ------------------------------------

Poultry Seasoning

A delightful blend of herbs, "especially designed for poultry."

Usage
    Use 1/2 to 2 tsp. to 4 cups bread cubes for stuffing for poultry, "veal, lamb, or pork."

Add to chicken, "casseroles, barbecue sauce, meat loaf, and herb bread."
    False
    This sounds good. Last year someone posted "Delmarvelous Chicken" BBQ sauce. That was wonderful!! It is on the same order as this one with the poultry seasoning. I think at this time I have Durkee poultry seasonnig but sometimes I just get the cheap stuff from Walmart or KMart. Works just fine.
    False
    What is the idea of the beaten egg in this?
    False
    Jeepers - Ed - give it a rest. I posted a recipe that will be seen by folks all over the country. The poultry seasoning I use here may not be available somewhere else.

Star, thanks, I use McCormick's too.

Quilts2, the egg is used as a binder - holds all the other ingredients together.

Thanks.
    False
    And thank you for your self-pitying sarcastic response.

Why don't you try re-reading my posts with an open mind. You might see I was referring not only to you - but to many who do the same thing. It's not only "poultry seasoning," but a number of other ingredients as well.

So sorry I pierced your thin skin. I liked the recipe but not your generalization. I gave specific examples in the hopes that readers could see my point. Obviously you couldn't.

Ed
    False
    I have made the sauce by the gallons for the fire dept. & always use whatever brand poultry season I find.
    If you don't beat the egg well you might find white spots on your chicken!
    10 person recipe
    cooking oil, any kind 1/2 pt.
    cider vinegar 1 pint
    salt 3 TBSP
    Pepper 1/2 tsp
    poultry seasoning 3 tsps. Any brand works
    1 well beaten egg
    Make sure eggs are well beaten BEFORE mixing with oil. Then beat egg & oil well. I sometimes use a blender.
    Store sauce in glass jar in fridge.
    Shake well before use & best to marinate chicken in sauce & use sauce to liberally bast chicken while cooking.
    False