Rec. & Rev: Paula Deen's Basic Biscuits | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Rec. & Rev: Paula Deen's Basic Biscuits

Last post May 24, 2006 9:09 AM by cllw . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Rec. & Rev: Paula Deen's Basic Biscuits
    My son-in-law is a long haul truck driver and he remembered how much I like Muscadine Grape Jelly (my grandmother used to make it for me). He surprised me this week with two jars he had picked up while on a run to Oklahoma. I just couldn't wait to taste it so I whipped up a batch of these biscuits for a mid-morning snack. Yummy! Son-in-law said, "Mom, don't lose this recipe!" The recipe makes a large batch but even with my adjustments for making a smaller batch, they came out great. My adjustments are in parentheses.

Basic Biscuits - from Paula Deen
    Makes about 20 medium biscuits

1 package yeast (1/2 pkg.)
    1/2 cup lukewarm water (1/4 cup)
    5 cups all-purpose flour (2 1/2 cups)
    1 teaspoon baking soda (1/2 tsp.)
    1/2 teaspoon salt (1/4 tsp.)
    1 tablespoon baking powder (1 1/2 tsps.)
    2 tablespoons sugar (1 Tbsp.)
    3/4 cup solid shortening (recommended ( Crisco) (3 tbsp. butter-flavored Crisco in the sticks)
    2 cups buttermilk (1 cup)

Preheat oven to 400ºF.
    Dissolve yeast in warm water; set aside. Mix dry ingredients together.
    Cut in shortening. Add yeast and buttermilk and mix well.

Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and roll out to desired thickness. Cut with small biscuit cutter (I used a 2 1/2" cutter)and place on greased baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.

I baked them about 15 minutes and got 10 large fluffy biscuits. This is a keeper!
    False
  • RE: Rec. & Rev: Paula Deen's Basic Biscuits
    These are great, we use to use the same recipe at one of the restaurants I use to work in.

Toni
    False
    I think these are the ones I saw her make on her show the other day.
    No rising time, right?

I am going to have to try these-would you believe I have never made biscuits? I have never tried the Muscadine Grape Jelly, either! Is it tart? I like a tart jelly...

Thank you for the review~
    Linda

False
    Thanks for the review.

Debbie
    False
    That's correct...no rising time. The memory of the first time I ever made biscuits sticks with me. I was a young bride wanting to impress my husband so I mixed up a batch of biscuits for supper. He, wanting to compliment his new wife, said, "Oh, teacakes!". Of course, I ran from the room in tears. They became known as the biscuits that could only be buttered on one side...the outside. LOL

The muscadine grape jelly I remember my grandmother making was fairly tart. The one my SIL brought me is much sweeter. I like it a bit tart too.
    False
    This is an old and very popular biscuit recipe. Many times it is referred to as "ANGEL BISCUITS" and the dough can be kept in the refrigerator for a day or two.

Definitely use the buttermilk for a softer - and flavorful - biscuit.

Tria
    False
    Tria
    Tria, I didn't realize this was the Angel Biscuit recipe! I've copied that one to my cookbook too. So many recipes, so little time. LOL
    False
    NavyGrammy, I am going to try these. I am sure these are the ones she was making on her show. She made it look simple enough, anyway!
    The birds may be having tea biscuits, too :(
    Thanks!
    Linda
    False