OT: need volume of a 1 lb. coffee can | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

OT: need volume of a 1 lb. coffee can

Last post Jun 05, 2006 2:38 PM by my5kidsmom__OH . 20 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 12
  • OT: need volume of a 1 lb. coffee can
    Weird question, I know...my package of powder for our pool filter tells me to measure the powder with a one-lb. coffee can, and we don't drink coffee, so I wondered if someone with a can handy could measure the volume of the can so I can find a comparable size container to measure with. Thanks so much!!
    False
  • RE: OT: need volume of a 1 lb. coffee can
    Maybe call the manufacturer? Coffee hasn't come in one-pound cans for years. I read somewhere that a 40 0z can of anything else holds the same volume - not sure.

Good Luck.

Ed
    False
    bumpity-bump
    False
    In today's 1# coffee cans it holds 13 oz of coffee. Hope this helps.
    Lorraine
    False

This is a tricky question because a one lb can of coffe used to hold 16 oz. of grounds. Then the "one lb" can changed to 13 oz of grounds, and now many only hold 10 1/2 oz.

I haven't seen a real 1 lb coffee can in a long time, lol.

So, if the directions are for using a current "one lb" coffee can that holds 10 1/2 oz of grounds, the volume of that can is 4 1/2 cups.

False
    thanks for the info...I didn't know this was such a tricky question. Sort of like how my husband says two-by-fours aren't even really close to being 2 inches by 4 inches anymore.
    False
    Shouldn't it be 16 ozs. in a pound?
    False
    NeeNee et al,

Two cents more, please.

Granted, many people still refer to the smaller cans of coffee, compared to their larger counterparts, as one-pounders. As you say, they are not. Coffee was sold by the weight, NOT volume, that the can held. The old one-pound can held 1# (16 oz) by weighto of COFFEE. The weight of other products - say tuna or marshmallow creme - would have been considerably more, or less, if packed in a can the size of a one-pound
    "coffee can."

The can was shorter and had a greater diameter than today's 13 ounce cans. My neighbor laments the change as she has recipes for several breads that wer beked in the old (and only) one-pound coffee cans. She, too, had read that a "40-ounce" can would equal the one-pound coffee can. It would, if the 40 ounces (of whatever) had the same VOLUME (took up as much space) as does 16 oz (1 pound) of coffee.

She wrote to both Folgers and Hills Bros. years ago and got no response.

Think I'll ask for some help.

Ed
    False
    my5kidsmom,

If you can find any container of about 76 cubic inches, it will be very close to the size of the old one-pound coffee can.

Just measure length x width x height to get the volume in cubic inches. Nearly any box will work - just measure the LxW and divide 76 by that. For example, if you have a box 5" long x 2" wide (10 square inches) divide 76 by 10 and you know it has to be 7.6" H (or just fill it to that high) to give you the 76 cubic inches you need.

Clear as mud?

Ed
    False

Davarenee, Yes, a pound is a pound, LOL. Weight and volume are tricky little things.

If you fill that empty 1 lb coffee can with marbles, how much will it weigh then?

What if you fill it with cotton balls?

My favorite question is: Which is heavier...a pound of bricks or a pound of feathers?

LOL Tricky stuff, LOL
    False
    Why not call the manufacturers of the pool chemical (or where you bought them) and ask them, whether they mean the old 16 oz coffee can or the smaller, newer ones that hold less. Tell them to straighten out their act and have people measure by cups.
    Just an idea to pursue.
    Grelo
    False
    Would this help you any? It does give how many cups of dry coffee in a lb. can.

2 cups granulated sugar=1 pound
    3 3/4 cups powder sugar=1 pound
    3 1/2 cups wheat flour=1 pound

5 1/3 cups dry coffee=1 pound

6 1/2 cups dry tea=1 pound

Would that take up the some volume?

Nancy
    False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

Hello: According to a chart I have:

1 lb. of coffee is 4 cups

Hope this helps.
    False
    I would call the manufacturer of the chemicals and ask them how many 'cups' of chemical to use. Then you can find a container that holds that amount and put a mark on the container with a permanent marker.

KY Kate
    False
    grelo..."straighten out their act"???.Lady..I like your style.

Hope you are doing well...you make me chuckle.See you as a "been there...done that kind of person....deal with it and get on with your life". Know that you have been an inspiration to me!
    Hugs.....lazyme
    False