Gifts in a Jar | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Gifts in a Jar

Last post Nov 06, 2010 8:13 AM by dutchmom4MI . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • Gifts in a Jar
    The other day, someone mentioned she had gone to a bridal shower and taken one of the "gifts in a jar" along with a cute bowl and spoon. And I started thinking that those gifts are so neat and different - I made some as Chirstmas gifts for everyone at the office and some for the nephews at college. One nephew, who is now graduated and working in Dallas, wanted some more for his birthday. Brides, Christmas, College Kids and even New or Recuperting Mommies - there are many ways to use this type of gift.

I'm posting the ones that I have personally tried and really like. I hope a few of ya'll will like them too.
    False
  • RE: Gifts in a Jar
    Cheesy Hame & Potato Casserole Mix
    for 1 quart wide-mouth canning jar

1 3/4 cup powdered coffee creamer
    1/2 cup imitation bacon bits
    2 (1.5 oz.) pkgs. Knorr Four Cheese Sauce Mix
    2 T. dried parsley flakes
    1 tsp. salt-free seasoning blend
    1 tsp. dried minced onion
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    2 cups potato flakes

Layer the ingredients in the order given in a wide-mouth 1-quart canning jar. Pack each layer in place before adding the next ingredient.

Gift Tag (with cooking instructions):

1 jar Cheesy Ham & Potato Casserole Mix
    4-5 cups boiling water
    2 (5 oz.) cans or 1 1/4 cup chopped ham

Place the Cheese Ham & Potato Casserole Mix in a large casserole dish. Add the boiling water. Mix well and let stand 5 minutes. Heat ham in microwave and stir in.
    False
    This makes alot of jambalaya and I like it with sliced Polish sausage or chicken as well as with the ham and shrimp.

Jambalaya Mix
    for 1 wide-mouoth 1 quart canning jar

3 cups long-grain white rice
    2 1/2 T. dried minced onion
    2 1/2 T. green bell papper flakes*
    2 1/2 T. dried parsley flakes
    2 bay leaves (place down the sides of the jar)
    2 T. + 1 tsp. beef bouillon granulsse
    1 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
    1 1/4 tsp. pepper
    1 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
    3/4 to 1 1/4 tesp. crushed red pepper

*I found this through Penzeys Spices.

Layer the ingredients in the order given into a wide-mouth 1-quart canning jar. Pack each layer in place before adding the next ingredient.

Gift Tag:

1 jar Jambalaya Mix
    7 1/2 cups water
    1 (20 oz.) can tomato sauce)
    1 1/4 cup cooked ham or smoked sausage
    1 1/4 cup cooked shirmp

In a large skillet, combine Jambalaya Mix, water and tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer; add ham or sausage and cook 20 more minutes. May add more water, if needed. Add shrimp and cook 5 minutes more. Remove and discard bay leaves.

False
    Ground Beef Stroganoff Mix

1/2 c. + 2 T. instant dry milk
    1/3 c. cornstarch
    1 T. + 1 tsp. chicken or beef bouillon granules
    2 tsp. dried minced onion
    1/4 tsp. + 1/8 tsp. dried basil
    1/4 tsp. + 1/8 tsp. dried thyme
    1/4 tsp. + 1/8 tsp. pepper
    2 tsp. dried parsley flakes
    1 tsp. garlic powder
    2 c. egg noodles

Layer the ingredients in the order given into a wide-mouth 1-quart canning jar. Pack each layer into place before adding the next ingredient.
    Note - I had to semi-crush the egg noodles to get all of them in the jar.

Gift Tag:

1 jar Ground Beef Stroganoff
    1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
    4 cups water
    1 cup sour cream

In a large skillet, brown ground beef and drain. Add 4 cups of water and the Ground Beef Stroganoff Mix to skillet and stir. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until noodles are tender. Top with sour cream and serve immediately.

False
    This may be my favorite one - the Parmesan cheese was a little strange but the whole thing really does taste good. But you need to serve it before the fritos go limp.

Santa Fe Skillet Casserole Mix

4 cups Fritos corn chips
    1 pkg. taco seasoning
    2 tsp. chicken bouillon granules
    3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup instant dry milk
    1/4 cup flour

Layer the ingredients in the order given into a wide-mouth 1-quart canning jar. Pack each layer in place before adding the next ingredient. (May have to smash some of the fritos.)

Gift Tag:

1jar Santa Fe Skillet Casserole Mix
    1 lb. ground beef
    2 cups water
    1 (4.5 oz.) can chopped green chilies, optional

In a large skillet, brown the ground beef and drain off fat. Add water and Santa Fe Skillet Casserole Mix and stir until the mixture is well blended. Cook over medium-high heat until sauce thickens. If desired, add green chilies and heat through.
    False
    I love this one too - actually, I really like all of the ones I've posted so far. But I've seen some that look really good that I haven't tried and I might have to post them for ya'll too.

Skillet Lasagna Mix

1/4 c. + 2 T. instant dry milk
    2 T. + 2 tsp. cornstarch
    2 tsp. chicken or beef bouillon granules
    1/4 tsp. dried basil
    1/4 tsp. dried thyme
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1/4 c. dried minced onion
    1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
    3 c. egg noodles

Layer the ingredients in the order given into a wide-mouth 1-quart canning jar. Pack each layer in place before addint the enxt ingredient.

Gift Tag:

1 jar Skillet Lasagna Mix
    1 lb. ground beef
    2 c. water
    1 (16 oz.) can tomato sauce
    2 c. mozzarella cheese

In a large skillet, brown ground beef and crumble; drain. Add Skillet Lasagna Mix, water and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring until thickened. Top with mozzarella cheese 5 minutes before serving. Turn off heat, stop stirring and allow cheese to melt.
    False
    Whole Wheat Beer Bread Mix

2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
    1/2 cups whole wheat flour
    3 T. sugar

Layer the ingredients in the order given into a wide-mouth 1-quart canning jar. Pack each layer in place before adding the next ingredient.

Gift Tag:

1 jar Whole Wheat Beer Bread Mix
    1 (12 oz.) bottle of beer or 1 (12 oz.) bottle unflavored seltzer
    1/2 c. butter or margarine, melted

Preheat the oven to 375º. In a large bowl, combine the Whole Wheat Beer Bread Mix with the beer or seltzer. Blend the mixture together using a wooden spoon. The batter will be lumpy. Place the dough in a greased loaf pan. Pour 1/3 of the butter over the dough. Bake the bread for 40 minutes, then pour 1/3 of the butter over the top of the bread. Continue baking for 10 minutes more. Pour the last 1/3 of the butter on the bread and bake 10 minutes longer. Remove the bread from the oven. Allow the bread to cool for 30-45 minutes and serve warm.
    False
    Pumpkin Bread Mix

3 c. Bisquick
    1 c. sugar
    1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
    1/2 tsp. nutmeg
    1/2 tsp. ground cloves

Layer the ingredients in the order given into a wide-mouth 1 quart canning jar. Pack each layer in place before adding the next ingredient.

Gift Tag:

1 jar Pumpkin Bread Mix
    1 (16 oz.) can solid pack pumpkin
    2 eggs, slightly beaten
    1 c. chopped nuts, optional

Preheat the oven to 350º. In a large bowl, combine the Pumpkin Bread Mix with the pumpkin, eggs and nuts (if using). Stir until the mixture if blended. Spoon the batter into either 1 large greased loaf pan or 2 small greased loaf pans. Bake 1 large loaf for 1 hour or 2 small loaves for 45 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack before removing.
    False
    I did this one for my nephew when he said he was having some people over for New Years (or some football game - I can't remember). The "Gift Idea" suggested giving this with a jar of salsa, taco seasoning, fresh limes and a bag of tortilla chips.

Bean Dip for a Crowd Mix

1 1/2 cups dried black beans
    1 1/2 cups dried pinto beans
    2 bay leaves
    1 (1.25 oz.) package hot taco seasoning mix
    2 tablespoons dried minced onion
    1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
    3 chicken bouillon cubes, unwrapped

Layer black beans and pinto beans in a wide-mouth 1 quart canning jar. Slice bay leaves down theside of jar. Place taco seasoning, onion, parsley and bouillon cubes in small food storage bag. Close with twist tie and cut off top of bag. (I use snack size ziploc bags.) Place bag on top of beans. Close jar.

Gift Tag:

1 jar Bean Dip for a Crowd Mix
    5-6 cups water
    1 (16 oz.) jar thick and chunky salsa (medium or hot)
    2 tablespoons lime juice

Remove seasoning packet and bay leaves from jar; set aside. Place beans in large sauce pan; cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat; let soak, covered, 1 hour. Drain beans; discard water.

Combine soaked beans, water, contents of seasoning packet and bay leaves in slow cooker (or Dutch oven). Cover and cook on LOW 9-10 hours (or simmer in Dutch oven 2-3 hours partially covered). Remove and discard bay leaves. Ladle 1/2 hot bean mixture into food processor. Add salsa and lime juice. Cover and process until smooth. Return pureed dip to slow cooker; stir to combine. Serve with chips.
    False
    Thanks...I love gifts in a jar recipes. : )
    False
    Chocolate Cake in A Jar
    AllRecipes.com

1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup white sugar
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/3 cup butter
    1/4 cup water
    3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/4 cup buttermilk
    1 egg, beaten
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts

In a small bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside. In a medium saucepan, combine butter, water and cocoa powder. Heat and stir until butter is melted and mixture is well blended. Pour into a large bowl. Stir in flour mixture and blend. Add buttermilk, egg and vanilla and beat by hand until smooth. Stir in nuts. Distribute evenly into 2 sterilized 1-pint wide-mouthed canning jars. Place the jars on a cookie sheet and bake at 325º for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted deep into center of cake comes out clean. Keep the lids and rings in the hot sterilizing water until needed. Using heavy oven mitts, remove cakes from oven one at a time. Place a lid, then a ring onto the jars and screw them down tightly. Place the jars on the counter and listen for them to ping as they seal. If you miss the ping, wait until they are completely cool and press on the top of the lid. If it doesn't move at all, it's sealed. If storing for a while, check seals to make sure they still are tight or store in freezer. Makes 2.
    They turned out well and were dense and delicious.
    cj
    False
    Yuma - your Gift in a Jar sounds really good - what a neat trick to actually bake it in the jar. Do you have any idea how long the chocolate cake will last sealed in the jar? This is a great idea for office Christmas gifts. Thanks, cj
    False
    Bump for the evening crowd. latinrose
    False
    There is a destiny that makes us brothers, No one goes their way alone, All that we bring into the lives of others, Comes back into our own. "Guiding Light" latinrose
  • Re: RE: Gifts in a Jar

Bump for Mississippimama

False

• Re: Gifts in a Jar

Thanks to you, and all the other gals, who have put up recipes for gifts from the kitchen. Yes

False