QUICK help needed: How long do you deep-fry chicken in a fry daddy for? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

QUICK help needed: How long do you deep-fry chicken in a fry daddy for?

Last post Jul 11, 2006 12:56 PM by cookbookmom . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • QUICK help needed: How long do you deep-fry chicken in a fry daddy for?
    Never made fried chicken before. The recipe I'm using (from current TOH) says 5-6 minutes per side, but in a fry daddy it's getting all sides at once. Fried some drumsticks for about 7 minutes or so and some weren't cooked through. Thighs in there right now, bre@sts to follow and wings. Thanks!!

April
    False
  • RE: QUICK help needed: How long do you deep-fry chicken in a fry daddy for?
    April,

I have NOT made this recipe-but, the website has a 5 star rating on it.

As Good As the Colonel’s Fried Chicken
    Makes 4 servings

Ingredients:
    Chicken pieces of your choice, about 3 lbs.
    Oil for frying – I use canola in a Fry Daddy

MARINADE:
    4 cups water
    1 Tbsp. salt
    ½ tsp. MSG, also known as Accent

COATING:
    1 egg, beaten
    1 cup milk
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2-1/2 tsp. salt
    ¾ tsp. pepper
    ¾ tsp. MSG/Accent

Preparation:
    Trim any excess skin and fat from the chicken pieces. Combine the water, salt and ½ teaspoon MSG for the marinade in a large bowl. Add the chicken to the bowl and let it sit for 20 minutes. Turn the chicken a couple of time as it marinates. Preheat the oil in the fryer for at least 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the beaten egg and milk in a medium bowl. In another medium bowl, combine the remaining coating ingredients (flour, salt, pepper and ¾ tsp. MSG). When the chicken has marinated, transfer each piece to paper towels to drain off excess liquid. Working with one piece at a time, first coat the chicken with the dry flour mixture, then dip in the egg and milk mixture, and then back into the flour. Be sure that each piece is coated very generously. Stack the chicken on a plate or a cookie sheet until each piece has been coated. Drop the chicken, one piece at a time, into the hot oil. Fry a few pieces at a time, being sure not to overcrowd the fryer. Fry chicken for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Be sure to stir the chicken around halfway through the cooking time to ensure that each piece cooks evenly. Remove the chicken to a rack or paper towels to drain for about 5 minutes before eating.
    http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/whats_for_dinner/86664
    False

Cool

I ended up cutting the chicken pieces to check for doneness and returned to the fry daddy until each one was cooked through... the recipe turned out to taste fantastic! Not bad for my first go at it.

April
    False
    April-

Hope it turned out o.k. Years ago, when I worked fast food, lots of time they would deep fry chicken twice. Alton Brown says the internal temperature of chicken should be 180°F using my instant read thermometer, it works! :O)
    False

Cool

April,

According to this recipe, drumsticks should take 12 minutes (Personally, I would check them after 9 minutes)-
    http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/410965/122077
    False

Cool

April,

Sorry this recipe is too late for you-just "surfed" onto it-haven't tried it, from RecipeZaar.com

Roy Rogers Crispy Fried Chicken - Copycat #123826

recipe by Impera_Magna

Posted in response to a request and located in an online search. Roy Rogers® was a huge fast-food chain in the eastern U.S. The chain was unique because not only did they offer-up burgers, but fried chicken as well. People really enjoyed their chicken. In fact, to this day there are arguments over who had better chicken---Roy Rogers® or KFC®. Hardees® bought the chain, and eventually phased it out---much like they did with Burger-Chef®.

This is a "per-serving" recipe. Multiply by number of servings. (One serving= 3 drumsticks). Prep time is estimated.
    1 servings
    25 minutes 5 mins prep

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons flour
    1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon Accent seasoning (msg)
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    1/4 teaspoon powdered sugar
    1/8 teaspoon paprika
    3 chicken drumsticks
    vegetable oil, for deep-fryer
    1/2 teaspoon powdered egg whites
    3 tablespoons milk

Pre-heat your deep fryer to 375°F. In a mixing bowl, blend egg whites and milk with a wire whisk -- set aside.(Make sure they're mixed thoroughly--somewhat "frothy".).

Measure dry ingredients into a gallon sized Zip Lock type bag, close, and shake well to mix.
    Generously coat the drumsticks with the milk-egg mixture, and place them in the bag of seasonings. (I recommend doing 3 at a time) Then shake the bag until well coated.
    Drop into deep fryer and allow to cook 15 minutes. (Fry no more than 9 at a time -- and if cooking 9, go 18-22 min, eyeball 'em) When the drumsticks are done, they will be a dark golden brown.
    False

Cool

Remove crispy chicken and drain on a paper towel lined plate. CAUTION! They will be very HOT, so allow them to cool 5-8 minutes before serving.
    Note: You can remove the skin for "skinless crispy chicken" if you prefer.
    Note 2: Try this coating recipe and cooking method with CHICKEN TENDERS. Just cut up boneless breasts into bite sized pieces, coat with milk-egg/seasoning and deep fry.
    Note 3: You can also use this coating and cooking method for wings, thighs, breasts etc. Just be sure to coat well and adjust cooking time for the different sizes of chicken.
    False

Cool

Calories 470
    Calories from Fat 188 (39%)
    Amount Per Serving %DV
    Total Fat 20.9g 32%
    Saturated Fat 6.3g 31%
    Polyunsat. Fat 4.4g
    Monounsat. Fat 7.9g
    Trans Fat 0.0g
    Cholesterol 183mg 61%
    Sodium 2560mg 106%
    Potassium 588mg 16%
    Total Carbohydrate 19.7g 6%
    Dietary Fiber 0.9g 3%
    Sugars 1.0g
    Protein 47.5g 94%
    Vitamin A 412mcg 8%
    Vitamin B6 0.7mg 35%
    Vitamin B12 0.9mcg 15%
    Vitamin C 7mg 11%
    Vitamin E 0mcg 2%
    Calcium 91mg 9%
    Magnesium 60mg 15%
    Iron 3mg 19%
    Alcohol 0.0g Caffeine 0.0mg
    False

Cool

Wow, thanks holly for all your searching! I stuck around for a few minutes after initially posting my question here, but had to go tend to the chicken... didn't get back here until after I had deemed all the chicken to be cooked through, but it did end up taking about 10-12 minutes, which lines up with your recipes and your own personal notes here. Thanks again! :)

April
    False
    (((April)))

You are more than welcome-hope you enjoy your meal! :O)

Keeping ya'all lifted up in our daily prayers & thoughts }^{ †
    ---

(`'·.¸(`'·.¸*¤*¸.·'´)¸.·'´)
    «´¨`·.Have A Great Day*.·´¨`»
    (¸.·'´(¸.·'´*¤*`'·.¸)`'·.¸)

---
    ¸..·* ´¨) -:¦:-
    ¸.*·´ GOD.·´ ¨¨))
    ((¸* Bless .·*´ ..·´
    -:¦:-April(¸¸.·´*
    ·* ´¨-:-* ·* ´¨-:-*
    ---

¸...¸ __/ /\____ ____
    ,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ //____/\
    ```)¨(´´´ | | | | | | | || |
    l±±±± |April|±±±±1
    ¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸

The prayer:

Father, I ask You to bless my friends,
    relatives and those that I care deeply for,
    who are reading this right now.
    Show them a new revelation of Your love and power.
    Holy Spirit, I ask You
    to minister to their spirit at this very moment.
    Where there is pain,
    give them Your peace and mercy.
    Where there is self-doubt,
    release a renewed confidence through Your grace.
    Where there is need,
    I ask you to fulfill their needs.
    Bless their homes, families, finances,
    their goings and their comings.
    In Jesus' precious name.
    Amen.
    False

Cool

I think I know which recipe you tried in TOH. Was it the Crispy Fried Chicken? Anyways, I made this as well in my Junior fry daddy. I used all drumsticks and could get two in at a time. Even though submerged, I cooked them 5-6 minutes and turned and did 5-6 minutes more. Perfect!
    False