Can CABBAGE be frozen? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Can CABBAGE be frozen?

Last post Jul 20, 2006 5:17 PM by moly . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • Can CABBAGE be frozen?
    A neighbor just brought me a HUGE cabbage! I have shredded it and bagged it and was wondering if cabbage can be frozen and used later.

Has anyone tried it?

Thanks!

Renee
    False
  • RE: Can CABBAGE be frozen?
    I have frozen it and used in soup etc but it wouldn't be good for raw things, like slaw.
    False
    Why don't you try this recipe. And it really is good for 30 days. Only with is with some a huge amount you need a large bowl for it and it takes up fridge space. We love it and always have coleslaw on hand for fish dinners or whatever. And you don't have to worry about freezing any. Or make a huge batch of egg rolls.

30 Day Coleslaw

1 cabbage, shredded
    2 large thinly sliced onions
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    1 cup vinegar
    1 tsp. dry mustard
    1/4 cup sugar
    3 tsp. celery seed
    3/4 cup oil

Toss onion, cabbage, 3/4 cup sugar and salt. Let sit while making dressing. Bring vinegar, mustard, 1/4 cup sugar and celery seed to a boil. Remove from heat. Add oil and pour over cabbage mix. Toss well. Keep in a sealed plastic or glass container for up to 30 days. Let sit for 12 hours before serving.

Marlene
    False
    Cabbage can be frozen for using in soups or just for cooked cabbage.
    Shred the cabbage or cut in wedges. Scald in boiling water; wedges, 3 min. and shredded, 1 1/2 min. Cool in ice water, drain and package. Not suitable for slaw or salads.
    False
    Every year when I make my sauerkraut, I pull off the huge outer leaves, nest them, and freeze for making cabbage rolls. It works great. They thaw quickly and are all flimsy, just right for stuffed cabbage.
    False