Why cookies go flat when baking. Read what I found could be the cause. | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Why cookies go flat when baking. Read what I found could be the cause.

Last post Dec 13, 2008 3:45 PM by JoBlank_CO . 20 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 12
  • Why cookies go flat when baking. Read what I found could be the cause.
    I read this in an old cookbook. If you cream the butter and sugar too long the cookies will be flat. According to the book, three minutes is just right. Any longer and the cookies will most likely bake flat. So maybe over creaming with the high speed powerfull mixers is causing a lot of the cookies to be baking flat.
    False
  • RE: Why cookies go flat when baking. Read what I found could be the cause.
    great tip, thanks
    Tina
    False
    Thanks Homestyle! I have always had flat cookies and have tried everything from letting the eggs come to room temp. to using butter instead of margarine and have not had any luck! Hopefully this is the answer to my flat cookie problem!

False
    I've heard that, if you substitute some of the butter with Crisco, they will hold their shape better. Has anyone tried this? What ratio butter/Crisco would be necessary?
    Great question!!
    Gracie
    False
    I dislike flat cookies so I don't let my butter get too soft, as this makes them flat too.
    I beat the sugars and butter just until mixed and no more. 3 minutes even sounds a bit too long.
    Sometimes I add a little bit of extra flour or I put the dough in the fridge between cooking batches.
    I usually have nice rounded cookies. Of course, I can't make cookies without my cookie scoop...they all look so uniform and pretty on the plate!!
    B
    False
    I've always used shortening in my Toll House Cookies and they never come out flat. If you use Butter Flavored Crisco, then you get more flavor in the cookie, but I just use regular shortening. I have other cookie recipes that I use shortening in too. If you use part shortening and part butter, they still come out flat, so I just use shortening. Try it sometime!
    False
    I've also heard if you spray your pan too much, it will cause the batter to flatten out.
    Just thought I would toss in my two cents.
    False
    I have found that using parchment paper doesn't make them flat.
    False
    OK, you guys, my mom always told me that cookies that go flat are because your baking soda is stale. I always keep fresh on hand and I have never had a problem also, I always sift my dry ing.'s together before I add it to the creamed.
    Dee
    False
    A year ago I printed up "A Guide to Making Tollhouse Cookies Your Way" from www.betterbaking.com but that page is no longer available, at least not for free. Regarding the spread of cookies, here are a few additional comments from that web site.
    1. Work with ingredients at room temperature for best results. Chill very soft doughs briefly for easier handling. Too fresh or too soft doughs may spread too quickly or fry before they bake and set up.
    2. Unbleached all-purpose flour is recommended for the best spread on cookies. Bleached or chlorinated flours reduce spread.
    3. Parchment paper results in cookies with an even, rolled edge. A lightly greased baking sheet results in cookies with thinner, ragged edges and slightly more spread.
    4. Reduce the soda or baking powder slightly in a recipe if you want a flatter cookie and want to avoid a cake-like, puffy cookie.
    5. For slightly raised or puffier cookies, bake in the upper third of your oven. For cookies that have more spread, bake on lower third of oven.

Dawn
    False
    thanks for the info Dawn I'll have to remember these helpful hints.
    B
    False
    What wonderful tips!! I thought I was softening my butter incorrectly. (Microwave - Oops!)

If I read correctly, don't let the butter get too soft, yet only cream with a mixer for less than 3 minutes. Will it mix properly?

Ljmanus :-)
    False
    Bumping for 2007.
    False

False
    I wish my cookies would be flatter! I use room temp butter and they still look rounded. I want THIN cookies!
    False