What sauce/condiment would you serve with crab cakes? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What sauce/condiment would you serve with crab cakes?

Last post Jul 28, 2006 10:43 AM by us2bthin . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • What sauce/condiment would you serve with crab cakes?
    I'm wanting to fix crab cakes but I'm not sure what sauce or condiment would be best served on the side. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Emily
    False
  • RE: What sauce/condiment would you serve with crab cakes?
    Emeril always says Remoulade.
    False
    We prefer just to savor the crab cake without any sauce or condiment. We usually like cole slaw and oven baked potatoes or french fries with the crab cake.

Lou
    False
    we prefer remoulade but you could do a tater sauce... or even a cocktail sauce , you don't want to mask the crab flavor
    False
    When DH makes them, we do not use anything to dip. They are great alone!

YUMMY..........**wishing I was having one now!!***
    False
    I had never heard of serving sauce on crab cakes until we were driving to Louisiana about twenty years ago and stopped at a Morrison's Cafeteria for lunch. We didn't have them here and we really liked them, so we would look for them everytime we traveled south. Well, this one day I ordered crab cakes and there was a bowl of really pretty sauce next to them. The server asked if I wanted sauce and I said yes, thinking he was going to put it on my plate. When he raised that ladle above my crab cake, I'm sure everyone in line thought I was having some kind of a seizure. I let out a gasp and said, "OH,NO!"
    In fact, I can't stand the thought of making crab cakes with onions and peppers in them. I have even heard of some putting pineapple in them and calling them Hawaiian style. Crab meat is overpowered by all those additives. You might as well just eat a hamburger.
    False
    I serve mine with this recipe. We love it!!!

Green Onion Sauce
    posted by John

½ c. Mayonnaise
    3 tbsp. Heavy Cream or Half & Half (I use 2 tbsp.milk if I don't have cream)
    2-3 drops Tabasco Sauce
    1 tsp. Lemon Juice
    1/8 tsp. Dry Mustard
    ½ tsp. Salt
    1/8 tsp. Pepper
    ¼ of a Jalapeno, seeded & diced fine
    3 tbsp. Finely chopped Green Onion (about 1 bunch)

Mix all together, cover & refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.

dawn
    :-)

False

"Wow, I really regret that workout"  said Nobody Ever

"...know that I will never love anyone like I love you & I am forever altered by who you are and what you mean to me..."

Remoulade came to my mind, too. I have a recipe from Southern Living somewhere if you'd like me to post it. I'll go look...
    Meg
    False
    You can also serve crab cakes with lemon wedges and just squeeze some juice over them.

Here's the Southern Living recipe:

Lemon Rémoulade
    Southern Living, MAY 2006

This sauce may also be used as a dip for boiled shrimp or steamed asparagus; add a little milk to make a tangy salad dressing.

2 cups mayonnaise
    1/4 cup Creole mustard
    2 garlic cloves, pressed
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    2 teaspoons paprika
    3/4 teaspoon ground red pepper

1. Whisk together all ingredients until blended. Cover and chill 30 minutes or up to 3 days. Makes about 2 1/4 cups

False
    Tartar Sauce
    False