The smell of a rotten potato! EWWW | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

The smell of a rotten potato! EWWW

Last post Jul 24, 2006 5:28 PM by KY_Kate . 6 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
  • The smell of a rotten potato! EWWW
    We were away on vacation for 9 days. Just got home today. Where we live we had a heatwave while we were gone so it was over 90° for 3 days and very humid. When we got home I walked into the kitchen and thought I was going to die! It smelled sooooo bad. It smelled like sewer. I was freaking out thinking a sewer pipe had burst or something. We investigated for over 2 hours. Finally, I moved my washing machine - where the odor was the strongest and found a plastic bag with 3 rotten and I do mean ROTTEN potatoes in it. WHEW! Believe me you never want to smell that! Apparently they must have been put down on the machine and fell off and rolled to the backside of the machine. The best I can figure is they were there for about 2 weeks! YUCK! But, considering what we thought the smell was, it could have been a lot worse!!! I cleaned everything up and brought the garbage out and sprayed about a whole can of OUST. Breathing much easier now! LOL!
    Robin
    False
  • RE: The smell of a rotten potato! EWWW
    I can empathize with you on that one. You won't believe what happened to me once. I was shopping in Kroger, dressed up as I had just got off from work in a nice office bldg. I was buying some potatoes, so I picked up a bag to look it over. There were rotten potatoes in the bag and the rotten potato "juice" seeped all over me. YUK! I was mortified. I lived quite a ways from town at that time and could not just leave the store. I had to finish my shopping like that. People were giving me the most awful looks and I was getting a wide berth, let me tell you. I was almost in tears by the time I got to the checkout line.

The last straw came when the woman checking me out started giving me an attitute. I told her to call her manager over and there and then I gave him an earful, breaking down into tears at the end. Poor thing, he was a young man and he felt so bad. I can look back and laugh now, but it was horrible then. After smelling that smell, I'm sure you can only imagine!

Amy P from TN
    False
    Oh Amy! I feel so bad for you. I cannot even imagine having that smell on me. It was so gross I was gagging trying to clean it up! EWWWW!
    False
    Oh Amy and Robin those are horrible stinky stories. Yuck. Spoiled potatoes are vile smelling. Potatoes and rotten eggs.

Yes, my DD when she was about 10 years old, she came home from visiting her father and crazy stepmonster one weekend around Easter. DD had a kind of Ukranian decorated egg (the stepmonster fancied herself to be quite the Martha Stewart-type crafter). Anyhow, I told DD that she did a nice job decorating the egg and asked how they blew out the inside of the egg as I didn't see any puncture holes. She said that they didn't remove the egg yolk and white but it would just dry up. Hmmmm? Yeah.

Anyhow, about 2 years later when we had moved to hot hot Dallas in the middle of a horrible heat wave, I came in from work, opened the door to our apt. and almost passed out from the smell. DD was keeping that lovely egg on her bedroom dresser and it got so warm it the apt. that the darn thing blew up and spilled down the dresser into the shag carpeting. It was a smell to die from. OMG. At the time I would have liked to have that stepmonster/crafter around so she could have cleaned up the mess, with her face. LOL.
    False
    After hearing both of your stories you are making me want to go in my kitchen and throw my potatoes away!! lol I can't imagine the smell-I feel for both of you.

Angie
    False
    Hugs, Angie Visit my blog http://5kidsmyhusbandandme.blogspot.com/
    Rotten potatoes truly are one of the worst smells. Many years ago during a hot summer, I came home to discover the worst smell ever. I didn't know what it was or where it was coming from because the entire house smelled. I cleaned the house from top to bottom several times but the smell continued. Finally, I discovered the potato in the broom closet with the cleaning supplies. LOL. I never thought to clean around the cleaning supplies. I still don't know how the potato got in there.
    False
    Whenever I smell a rotten potato, I think of early 1974. There was something that caused the potato crop to fail, and potatoes were hard to get and were very expensive. When one was cut open, there was a 75% chance it was rotten on the inside, and the smell was awful. That smell is like no other!

KY Kate
    False