Are African Violets flowers edible? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Are African Violets flowers edible?

Last post Jul 29, 2006 8:55 PM by hedgie . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • Are African Violets flowers edible?
    Does anyone know if african violets are edible? I know that you can eat violas.....but household african violets???

Thanks
    False
  • RE: Are African Violets flowers edible?
    no. violets are edible but african violets are not.

http://www.anapsid.org/resources/edible.html

also if you paste your question into google and search, you'll find confirmation as well as several other sources of edible plant lists.
    False

Thanks Footsie....that could have been tragic.....

I did have violas in my backyard planters but the rabbits had them all for a meal. So I'm a little desperate for what other types of flowers I may use on the top of my baked brie recipe I'm baking tomorrow.
    False
    Michelle, the German-American Corner has just this topic; will bump it for you...
    False
    sugared cranberries would also work.

so would a sprinkling of toasted almonds or most any kind of nuts.

fresh mint, thyme, basil or any other herb (especially if you're going more for decoration with the possibility of someone nibbling on it rather than "hey don't forget to eat the garden")
    False

or you can just use pastry dough cut into shapes or rolled into balls, ropes, etc.
    False

I posted this on the German Corner. If you have a pineapple this can be done.

These are such a novel and tasty decoration.

Pineapple Flowers

Cut off the peel and eyes from a fresh pineapple; slice crosswise into 1/4" slices. Place on parchment paper-lined rimless baking pan or sheet. Bake in a 200º convection over or 225º regular oven, turning halfway through,until dry and golden brown, 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Form into flower shapes while still warm by pushing in sides around the centre; let cool on rack, resting on side to keep shape. (Make ahead. Store in a covered container for up to 2 days)
    Make as many flowers as you want and use the remaining pineapple in some other way.

Marlene
    False
    Michelle,
    You can also use pansies, nasturtium, and calandula.

Hedgie
    False