what does a caper taste like? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

what does a caper taste like?

Last post Jul 30, 2006 1:49 PM by ct59 . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • what does a caper taste like?
    some recipes I am wanting to try call for capers and I have no idea what they taste like and how important they are to the dishes.

thanks for any info
    False
  • RE: what does a caper taste like?
    I think they taste salty and vinegary.

vammie
    False
    Capers are simply a pickled flower bud off "some" plant. I don't remember the name of it. But I believe they just add a subtle flavor. I do love the flavor when it is added.

I think mostly it is the pickled taste that they add in but it is a different pickle taste. Not really dill or sweet pickle taste at all. It is used in either chicken or veal piccata. It is a unique subtle flavor.

Diane
    False

Diane

We have been trying for days to think of the name of these disgusting things! LOL! I am a very picky eater, and we went to an Italian Restaurant. I ordered the Veal with Capers. As soon as it came, I wasn't about to eat those things--looked like caviar to me! Anyway, D-BIL said they were good and were very salty. Well, D-MIL loves salty, so I took a SPOONFUL of them and gave them to her (she is blind, so I just put the spoon in her mouth). Man did she ever GAG! She said NEVER AGAIN! Said they were awful! I just scraped the rest to the edge of my plate. I think the FLAVOR of them is ok, but wouldn't eat them! Hope this helps!
    Bonnie
    (If nothing else, you can get a chuckly out of the story!!! LOL)
    False
    I would say they're a cross between a pickle and an olive.

Pat
    False
    For some reason, the taste reminds me of Dijon mustard.
    False
    I think they taste like olives with a hint of pepper.We love em.
    Rosie
    False

I have pickled nasturshum(SP)seeds and they are like capers,I pickle them sweetand not salty,they are good.
    Ada
    False
    Capers are not for everyone. I don't mind eating them as long as they are warm...cold is way too strong for me. My BIL makes this amazing olive spaghetti that would not be the same if not for the capers. My sister won't touch them at all and picks everyone out of the spaghetti before eating.
    False
    Capers are pickled berries, they are sharp-like a raw vinegar, peppery and never cared for them in our household. Also, never could get past the pungent aroma coming out of the caper jar-lol! :O)
    False
    Life is like an onion, you peel off one layer at a time & sometimes you weep.
    thanks for the stories and the very colorful descriptions of capers!!! I think I will leave them out since I do not like olives and if there's even a slight resemblence to the taste, I know I won't like them.

connie
    False