What temperature is crockpot on low? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What temperature is crockpot on low?

Last post Jan 22, 2014 12:54 PM by poopsie1 . 7 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
  • What temperature is crockpot on low?
    Rather than draging my crockpot with me when I go to camp, I was wondering if I could do a crockpot recipe on low in my electric frying pan. Does anyone know what the temperature is when a crockpot is cooking on low?

Thanks

Barb
    False
  • RE: What temperature is crockpot on low?
    Bump
    False
    Say less than you know, Own more than you show, Pay as you go, Praise God from whom all blessings flow!!
    I very seldom use my crockpot and use my electrics all the time instead. I just don't like to wait all day for the food to cook. LOL

I just set the temp. to a low simmer. Really can't tell you the exact temp. since its different on each of my electric skillets and also the amount of food in them. I do often need to add more of the liquid since unlike a crockpot you do lose moisture.

Not all recipes will work but most of them will and to be honest I really like the taste better. I have made the Creamed Cheese Chicken, for instance, both ways and even my DH liked the skillet way the best.

Is there a certain recipe that you are wanting to make?

Nancy
    False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

The temps for the newer slow cookers are higher than for the older models.

For new Nesco

Warm = 165 degrees F

Low = 180 degrees F

High = 195 degrees F

I don't think the older models ever got to 195 degrees. They probably were 165 for low and 180 for high.

Hopes this helps.

Bobbi Jo
    False
    Thanks for the bump Kyana44 & for the info GrandmaCookN & BobbiJo. I think the lowest setting on my fry pan is 200 maybe less. I can't remember & the fry pay is in my camper.

Yes, GrandmaCook, there is a certain recipe that I'm wanting to try. It's Cubbybear's Crock Pot Cubed Steak. Here's her recipe:

You take 4-6 cube steaks. Brown them in a skillet w/ a little bit of oil. Then put in crockpot. You then add 1 package brown gravy mix and 1 package Lipton Onion Soup mix & enough water to cover. Stir well. Turn on high for 1 hr., then on low for 3-4 hrs. Serve with hot noodles or mashed potatoes.

Barb
    False
    Barb, this is great, I have made this one.....I do dust the cube steak lightly with flour before browning. That seems to hold the juices in the meat better and make them tender. I mix the gravy mix and the onion soup mix together with 3 cups of hot water, pour over the browned meat and bring to a slow simmer. Just checked my Hamilton Beach and on it its about 300º with the vent barely open. However this is a different type skillet, it pan sits on a grill and I need higher temp. On my other skillet that is like most electric skillets a low simmer is 250º for it. Just kinda watch it to make sure you do have a simmer. Also you may have to add more water later.
    I use to travel with my husband and would live in motel or hotel rooms for several months and was able to cook with just the electric skillet and electric Presto pot so have lots of experience with them. LOL
    By the way that is a really yummy recipe and have used it also with salisbury steaks.

Nancy
    False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

Thanks for the suggestions, Nancy. I'll pass them along to my mom too, as she wants to make it while I'm away. Isn't modern technology wonderful!

Thanks again.

Barb
    False
  • Re: What temperature is crockpot on low?

WhateverNYa
    Rather than draging my crockpot with me when I go to camp, I was wondering if I could do a crockpot recipe on low in my electric frying pan. Does anyone know what the temperature is when a crockpot is cooking on low?

Thanks

Barb

False