Hey...what can I use in place of parchment paper? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Hey...what can I use in place of parchment paper?

Last post Aug 11, 2006 5:28 PM by CardinalPuff . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Hey...what can I use in place of parchment paper?
    a brown paper grocery bag?
    False
  • RE: Hey...what can I use in place of parchment paper?
    Wax Paper......

Tink~
    False
    Always treat people they way you want to be treated. ~Tink~
    Wax paper can be used to bake on?
    False
    Yes, I use it instead of parchment paper actually, its cheaper.

Tink~
    False
    There really isn't a good substitute for parchment paper, unless you have a silicone baking mat. The wax on the waxed paper will melt onto the pan and a brown paper wouldn't have any non-stick qualities, I wouldn't think.

What are you making?
    False
    Hmmm, I have never had a problem with the wax melting when I bake on it. I have since switched to the silicone baking mats. Instead of either. But you can use a brown paper bag, be careful, they ignite at about 450º.

Tink~

PS
    What are you making? That may make it easier to tell.
    False
    I would be careful with a brown grocery bag - so many are made from recycled products. I've read the recyled ones are not good to use in baking. CJ
    False
    Heres an article right off of the Cooks Thesaurus:

parchment paper = kitchen parchment = baking pan liner paper = baking parchment = baking paper Notes: This is a heavy, silicone-coated paper that's used to line pans so that candies and baked goods won't stick. It's an expensive alternative to waxed paper, but it's less sticky, so it's a good choice if you're making gooey items. Parchment paper is also wrapped around foods to be cooked en papillote, or formed into cones for cake decorating. Specialty cooking stores and larger supermarkets often carry rolls or sheets of it. Paper grocery bags are sometimes recommended as a substitute for parchment paper, but it's not advisable to use them. Grocery bags will ignite at 450 degrees, and that they may have been treated with unsafe chemicals. Substitutes: waxed paper (This is a lot cheaper, but it's more likely to stick to gooey baked goods. Try greasing the waxed paper before using.) OR rice paper (as a baking pan liner) OR aluminum foil (Works well for cooking en papillote. If greased, it also works well as a liner for baking pans.) OR lightly grease baking pan (This tends to encourage cookies to spread out on the baking sheet.) OR nonstick baking sheet OR plastic zip-lock bag (If you're piping icing on a cake, this works well as a substitute for a parchment cone. Just fill the plastic bag, cut a hole in a corner, and squeeze.)
    False
    Someone posted a recipe...Raspberry Kisses....made with egg whites (whipped.) Mix raspberry gelatin powder with sugar...add vinigar & choc. chips & bake at 250. Maybe the wax paper on top of the brown bag?!! Maybe I'll try the wax paper...I was thinking it would melt too.
    False
    would the release foil work the same?
    False
    Raspberry Kisses

These light and airy drops, bursting with bits of chocolate, have long been a holiday favorite at our house. I often make them for luncheons and teas.

INGREDIENTS

3 egg whites

1/8 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup sugar

3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons raspberry gelatin powder

1 tablespoon vinegar

1 cup miniature chocolate chips

SERVINGS 36

In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites and salt until foamy. Combine sugar and gelatin powder; gradually add to egg whites, beating until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Beat in vinegar. Fold in the chocolate chips. Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 250° for 25 minutes. Turn oven off, leaving kisses in the oven 20 minutes longer. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 6 dozen.

False
    If you have release foil, I would use it rather than the other paper-based products.
    False
    I agree....the release foil. If you dont have that, use regular sprayed with pam.

Tink!
    False
    I use Baker's Secret. It is clear tough film like material. Almost like a cellophane, but 100 or more stronger!
    False