Does corn syrup go bad? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Does corn syrup go bad?

Last post Apr 21, 2012 12:22 AM by wolveros1 . 16 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
  • Does corn syrup go bad?
    I have a recipe that calls for it and I have a bottle that's been open in my pantry for who knows how long.

Tracy
    False
  • RE: Does corn syrup go bad?
    I have often wondered the same question! However, I keep mine refrigerated.

And does pancake syrup go bad?

I always wondered the "shelf life" of both of these things so I will be anxious to see the answer, too!

Renee
    False
    So long as it doesn't have anything funky looking at the top I'd think it'd be okay. If you're not sure though, you could always sub simple syrup :)
    False
    Connie Visit my blog at: Boondock Babble
    If it isn't moldy it is fine.
    Pancake syrup should be refrigerated because of the water in it (not as much sugar as pure corn syrup) but it lasts forever in the fridge.
    chefly
    False
    I had an off-brand in a quart sized bottle that developed a "moldy looking gray growth" over the top of the remainder.Don't know how old it was but it came from a small grocery, so it's best to keep watch on it.I've never kept it refrigerated.Taught me that a big bottle isn't saving money if it's not used quickly.
    False
    I got the below information from the Karo Syrup site.

ACH Food Companies, Inc., the conglomerate that owns and markets Karo syrup, says, "Karo syrup is safe to eat for an indefinite period of time whether it has been opened or not opened. Light corn syrup may turn slightly yellow with age, but this is normal and not harmful. Storage conditions affect product quality. Before or after opening, Karo syrup may be stored at room temperature. Bottles may be refrigerated after opening, however, the syrup will be thicker and slower to pour."
    False
    Thanks!!

Tracy
    False
    I've had Karo (white) syrup go bad, become moldy, within a year of opening, stored at room temp.

Cali
    False
    I think a lot of it depends on how it is stored. If it is kept in a cabinet over or close to the heat of your stove, for example, that may contribute to the syrup and other items having a much shorter life span. I know that my corn syrup has held up for a very long time.
    False
    It can go bad if you use a utensil that was previously used to help it out of the bottle. The utensil would have to have food remains on it that would grow in the corn syrup. I don't know if anyone helps it out of the bottle, but this could contaminate it.
    chefly
    False
    I am really glad to know that my yellowish corn syrup is still okay!
    Thank you, red savage!
    :)
    Ellen
    False
    If you have gray "fur" on it., throw it out. It is no longer any good.
    False
    Linda
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had gray moldy fur in my pantry. Yes to all of the previous posts. You know, I only use corn syrup for pecan pies and I just don't make them that often.

Emily
    False
    Just to be safe I went ahead and bought a new bottle. I made Gooey Pecan Pie Bars for my dad's birthday, and I decided just to buy a new bottle
    False

syrup does go bad .... molasses doesnt but syrup does. The flavor changes the older it is. I say this because papa had fixed a big batch of his pancakes and I poured on my syrup and it tasted terrible . we checked the expiration date and it was only three months beyond but the taste was awful. and we do keep our syrups in the ice box.

heres a link that was interesting:
    http://www.a1usa.net/gary/expire.html
    False
    °º·¤.¸¯`°º·¤.¸¯`°º·¤.¸ ♥ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°
    ~~ CELEBRATE YOUR FREEDOM
    AND THANK AN AMERICAN SOLDIER!!! ~~
    ¸.¤·º°´¯ ♥ ¯`°º·¤. ♥♥~♥♥¸.¤·º°´¯ ♥ ¯`°º·¤.
    ¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ¸.¤·º°´¯ ♥ ¯`°º·¤. ¸¯`°º·¤. ¸¯`°