What to do with FIG preserves?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What to do with FIG preserves??

Last post Sep 04, 2006 10:48 AM by chefly . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • What to do with FIG preserves??
    My mom-in-law just gave me a jar of homemade fig preserves...other than spread it on...something...what can I do with them? Any recipes out there?
    False
  • RE: What to do with FIG preserves??
    This was given to me from GrannyBarbie. Not sure if it has been posted on the board.

Fig Cake:
    Ingredients:
    3/4 cup butter,
    2 cups sugar,
    1 cup buttermilk,
    1 tsp. soda,
    1/2 tsp. salt,
    4 eggs,
    1 tsp. cinnamon,
    1 tsp. allspice,
    1 tsp. vanilla,
    3 cups flour,
    1-pint fig preserves
    and 1-cup nuts, chopped.
    Directions: Mix figs well with mixer. Add sugar, eggs, butter, and mix well. Gradually add in remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour into well-greased baking pan and bake at 350 degrees approximately 1 hour or until tests done.

Nancy
    False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

This one was posted by gaudrey_Ga. Have not tried this one yet.

FIG PRESERVE POUND CAKE

2 ½ cups sugar
    ¾ cup butter
    4 eggs, beaten
    1 cup buttermilk
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    2 cups fig preserves, chopped
    3 cups flour
    1 teaspoon each: nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 cup chopped nuts, optional
    FROSTING:
    1 cup brown sugar, packed
    1 (14 ½ oz.) can evaporated milk
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 tablespoon vanilla

Cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add beaten eggs and mix in. Add soda to milk and stir into butter mixture. Sift flour and spices together and gradually blend into the first mixture. Fold in preserves, vanilla, and nuts, if used. Bake in two greased and floured or sprayed 8x8x4 loaf pans at 300° for about 1 hour, until the top springs back when touched lightly. Remove to racks to cool. For frosting, boil sugar and milk to soft ball stage. Add butter and vanilla. Beat well until of spreading consistency. Makes 2 loaves.

Nancy
    False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

I was going to say Fig Cake also. I put a thin Caramel Frosting on when I make them. Must of my family like them (of course I don't tell them it's Fig Cake). I believe you will like it. Saw recipe for fig cookies, if I can find I will post.
    GREAT DAY TO ALL !!!!!!!!!!
    sway
    False
    Thank you all! This is EXACTLY what I had in mind!! :o) Let the printing begin....
    False
    Thank you all! This is EXACTLY what I had in mind!! :o) Let the printing begin....
    False
    Try this site...It is from the Texas A & M University Plant Science Dept....contains recipes!!! G

http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/recipes/figs/figindex.html
    False
    This looked like a good site too...
    I LOVE fig preserves!! I'm down to the last of my last jar and i'm very sad!

http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blfruit30.htm
    False
    Found this one for you in my collection of gathered recipes...

Famous Fig Cake
    From Maude’s Courtyard B&B

1 cup Crisco oil
    2 cups sugar (adjust to 2/3 if you prefer less)
    3 eggs
    2 cups flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon allspice
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon nutmeg
    2/3 cup buttermilk
    1 cup Braswell's (North Carolina) pure fig preserves
    1 cup chopped pecans

Combine oil and sugar in a large mixing bowl; beat until blended. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk, blending well. Fold in fig preserves and nuts. Pour into greased and floured tube or bundt pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until it tests done.
    False
    Garlic Figs And Brie 1

1 large roun of Brie cheese
    1 jar (8 oz.) fig preserves
    1 Tbsp. minced garlic
    1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
    12 slices crusty bread

Preheat oven to 350ºF. cut the Brie in half horizontally. Combine the fig preserves, garlic and balsamic vinegar. Spread over the surface of one of the Brie halves and place the other Brie half on top. Set the cheese on a baking sheet surrounded by the bread slices. Bake about 10 minutes, until the cheese is soft and the bread is toasty. Serve immediately.

False