Anyone remember Gus Saunders' Yankee Kitchen | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Anyone remember Gus Saunders' Yankee Kitchen

Last post Apr 14, 2014 7:36 AM by LagarL . 51 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 4 (52 items) 1234
  • Anyone remember Gus Saunders' Yankee Kitchen
    Does anyone remember Gus Saunders' Yankee Kitchen radio program? I listened to it every chance I got back in the 70's and 80's. Just wondered if there was anyone one this board that I would remember. My call-in name was Calamity Jane.
    False
  • Re: Anyone remember Gus Saunders' Yankee Kitchen

hi   Jaycee  yes I remember Gus sunders I used to call in  I couldnt miss it I still have note books full of recipes  but  I listened in the  the late 80 and early 90s   I won  a case of pie fillings (grandmas fillings) it was a nice show I had lots of  lots of fun listening

False

I didn't listen to his radio show---but when I saw the title of this thread, I just had to respond.....I have 3 cook booklets that I got at a book sale that are recipes from his recipe show!

Talk about a coincidence!!!  It looks like there were an awful lot of good recipes on that show-if they're anything like in these books-WOW!!!

Carol

False

YES!  I remember Gus Saunders and the Yankee Kitchen.  What a wonderful show to listen to in the afternoon.  I loved listening to it while I cooked.  I was always too shy to call in, though.  I wrote down many, many recipes.  Some of the regular callers had such good recipes that they generously shared.  I remember Jackie Powell and Emma in particular, even after all this time.  I think of him every time I see a jar of Marshmallow Fluff or walk by the Pastene display. Listening was just like having friends in for coffee.  Thanks for bringing up a great memory.

MJMS

False

It's so nice that someone remembers the Yankee Kitchen.  I still have so many of my handwritten recipes from that show.  Now I want to go through them because they were so good.  I used to listen to the show when my kids were at school in the afternoon.  I really miss Gus Saunders.  I can still hear his voice.  I never called in but I appreciate all those who called in their treasured recipes.

False
    Ciao, Italiangirl

Not only do I remember, I think of him a lot.  I still play a tape I have of his last show, I offered to type up everyone's addresses so that everyone would have a copy but he preferred to have us send in postcards -- but nothing happened with them as far as I could tell! :(  I wish everyone had been able to stay connected.  Names like Jeff from Springfield, RNG, Mary Claire, and your name does ring a bell Jane!

He started his show when I was born, 1965...so I was raised on him between my grandmother and mother.  My mother and I were both bawling on the last day of his broadcast.  I hope he enjoyed his retirement.  It was strange how his obituary was kept under wraps for a few weeks.  I think his wife Mary must have been extremely private.

Like someone else said, Pastene reminds me of him, and I think I know his commercial for it by heart ;p

Thanks for asking!

False

I too remember Gus and Yankee Kitchen.  I used to listen at work, and I would scribble the recipes down on a little 2/4 note pad.  I had a recipe box full that was lost in a move a few years ago.  I actually came on line to try and find one of those recipes.  It was for a dill dip in a bread bowl.  It had dry ham in it.  If anyone has the recipe I would love to have it again.  I only have three of the old recipes left.  I remember Calamity Jane, Emma, and so many more.  I wish there was a show like that on now.

False

Hello, just found this post, though its over two years old, while doing a search for Gus Saunders.

I listened to it faithfully in the late 70's and 80's, had notebooks of written r ecipes, still have some of them.  I remember Jeff, Candace, and many others.   Still make the Andrews Fudgies, also still making a chicken wing recipe, and marinated sirloin tips from the shows.   Have lost one recipe though that was a favorite when the children were little- it was for an all in one pot spaghetti, think it was called All At Once Spaghetti, not too many ingredients, ground meat,  a lot of spag. sauce (from jar) but now use only my own, and broken up spaghetti, I guess water was added too as it all cooked together.   My husband keeps asking if I may have fo und the recipe.   My name is Sue, from NH and Iistened but never called in- would keep a notebook in my car and pull off the road to copy a recipe if it sounded good.  Wish I had more t han a few of his cookbooks.  Gus's wife, Mary, sure would have a lot of shoveling to do this year.

False

I don't remember Gus Saunders radio show, but maybe because when I was married in 1963 I lived on the east coast, Long Island NY and they didn't carry that show.  Anyway how about everyone posting some recipes that they have saved over the years.  I'm sure that those of us who are clueless would love to try some of those recipes!!

False

bump

False

I also used to listen to Gus. I did not know he passed away, does anyone know when, how and/or how old he was? My mother used to listen to it while I was growing up and quite a few years later when I was home raising my kids, I once again listened to his show. Country girl seemed to be a name I heard very often on the show. Boy do I miss that show!

False

Hi,  I used to listen to Gus Saunders while I was at work.  I used to work for Jordan Marsh in the shipping department.  I listened to the show in the afternoon while I worked.  I took down a lot of the recipes.  Some really good ones.  I worked with all guys at the time and they used to get a charge out of listening to the show.  One lady would call in all the time and always had a song she would sing.  I've got one recipe that I would like to share with all of you from that show.  It is a favorite.  My mother used to make it every Christmas for gifts.

Hobo Bread

One cup raisins (dark)

2 cups boiling water

4 teaspoon baking soda

4 cups flour

2 cups sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

4 tablespoons veg. oil

Mix baking soda and boiling water.  Pour over raisins and let stand over night.  DO NOT STIR.

Next morning, stir dry ingredients together.  Then add the raisin mixture.  Stir together.   Add oil and mix well.  Batter is thick. 

Grease and flour 3  1 pound coffee cans.  (you can use regular bread pans also)

Fill to 1/3 full.  Bake at 350 for 1/2 hour.  Reduce heat to 325 and bake for 1/2 hour.  Take out when done.  This varies.  Test done.  Lay cans/pans on side to cool.  If you are using cans turn often.  When completely cool, remove.  Can be frozen.

Enjoy!    

False

What a surprise to see this post! I used to take my radio/recorder to work everyday and tape his show! I loved it so much. When I finally retired, he went off the air two months later! I was so mad to lose him and all the great people who called in. I have at least 5 notebooks full of recipes and all his Boston Kitchen cookbooks! I thought he probably had passed. What a wonderfull man. Can someone tell me when he passed? Thanks for the memories, i'm all teary eyed thinking about him and that great show.   
    False
    http://www.boston.com/news/globe/obituaries/articles/2007/05/22/gus_saunders_food_critic_radio_host_at_85/?page=1
    False

YES! I do I called in several times too! I'm always looking for the recipes that the callers gave. Can anyone helP

False