Need a side dish for chili | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Need a side dish for chili

Last post Sep 18, 2006 6:12 PM by Suzamews . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • Need a side dish for chili
    I am looking for a side dish for chili besides the usual cornbread dish thank you
    False
  • RE: Need a side dish for chili
    I often serve chili with just plain rice.
    False
    about buttered noodles are maybe some corn
    False
    In loving memory of Suzy
    As a kid, when my mom made chili, it was for about two or three nights. We always had hotdogs one night and tacos the next. I like to make mine with a side dish of spaghetti noodles.
    False
    I like to serve with apples and carmel dip or other fruit
    Also cheese, either as a topping or on crackers.
    False
    We have a restaurant in the area that serves it this way and I have started doing the same at home.

Fix chili and serve over a bed of spaghetti. Top with diced white onions, shredded cheese and ketchup.

We love it this way.
    False
    I always have cooked macaroni noodles and baked potatoes with it!

Then I have have the toppings...onions, cheddar cheese, sour cream, sliced black olives etc.

People can eat their chili in bowls, or add the macaroni, or open a baked potato and top the chili with it.

I always serve hot garlic bread and a salad also.

Have fun!
    False
    LSMO,
    I love the spaghetti and chili dish you described. I've heard it called Cincinnati chili.

Cheese fries are good with chili, too. If a person wanted to spoon some chili over the fries, they'd have chili cheese fries.

I can't wait to make the first batch of chili when fall is finally here to stay. I will definitely try some on a baked potato, as Kristyn suggested. Yum. :)

meg
    False
    I usually serve corn bread - but last time I served it with these cornbread pancakes. Unusual - but good.

1-8 1/2 ounce pkg Jiffy cornbread mix
    1 cup milk
    1/2 cup chopped onion (opt)
    3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
    1 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. pepper
    1/4 tsp. baking powder
    2 tbsp. flour

butter-flavored cooking spray

Combine ingredients - mix well. Spray griddle with cooking spray. Cook like you would cany pancake.
    False
    Thanks for all the help All the ideas are great i am gonna try a few of them thanks
    False
    serve chilli over spaghetti or seerve with corn bread. Or corn chips. (I like fritos)

You could make a bread bowl and serve it in that. (I use the grand's biscuits and form over large muffin cups).

False
    Amy
    I serve an assorted cheese plate and crackers, pickles and olives.
    False
    The usual accompaniments to chili in my house are rice and pinto beans (since there are no beans in Texas chili), and cornbread. I also have small bowls of diced onion, sliced jalapeno peppers, shredded cheese, sour cream, ketchup (for those of us who like a bit of sweet tang) and corn chips. Sometimes I'll warm corn tortillas in the microwave and serve them in a covered container.

Chili weather is almost here and boy, am I ready!!
    False
    We always have a large tossed salad with lots of veggies in it. Helps cut down on the spicy chili, too. Of course, always cornbread as well. I've even made the cornbread salad to go with it and it was very good.

Can't wait for chili weather!
    False